Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Official Filmmaking Thread

Go down 
+2
Orion
RamboOnRedBull
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 2:53 pm

I also loved Watchmen, as polarizing is it is.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 2:56 pm

Watchmen is fantastic. I don't know why people dislike it.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 2:58 pm

Yeah, Watchmen was great. It's also my favorite work of his. :)

@Yonny, well, as visually impressive as Sucker Punch is, it is still the worst movie I've seen in a few years.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Earth

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 3:02 pm

@Rambo I never said it was good, just visually impressive.

Also, is it me or can Zack Snyder cast superhero roll fantastically? The cast of watchmen and then he cast the best superman since Reeve! I have faith in Snyder casting the perfect Batman.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 3:17 pm

He's not a great director. He's a very average director with a sometimes-nice visual style, though his visual style isn't the best around, nor is it the most diverse.

yonny616 wrote:
@Rambo I never said it was good, just visually impressive.

Also, is it me or can Zack Snyder cast superhero roll fantastically? The cast of watchmen and then he cast the best superman since Reeve! I have faith in Snyder casting the perfect Batman.
I don't think he's in charge of casting. I'm sure he has some input but ultimately it's up to the studio and the casting director.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 3:22 pm

Zack Snyder will probably do a better job with Batman than Superman, since he always wanted to direct a Batman film, while he didn't know how to reboot Superman until he read the script.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 3:28 pm

I thought he did a fine job with Man of Steel as far as shot composition goes. I'm sure he'll do the same with the sequel. It's Goyer I'm worried about.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Earth

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 3:39 pm

@Jack Really? I'm worried for both since both are writing it. Hopefully with Zack being a Snyder he can channel some of the good comicbook writing from Scott Snyder. Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 725796345
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 3:59 pm

Oh, Snyder is co-writing the sequel? Well, then it's gonna be even worse than Man of Steel.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 4:00 pm

Is Zack co-writing the sequel? 

Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 Bfa6e
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Earth

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 4:23 pm

Yeah, Snyder and Goyer are writing the story, with Goyer writing the script and since Nolan is executive producer as opposed to producer he will have little to no input also the Nolan bros. are busy with Interstellar.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 4:26 pm

InterStellar will most likely be great. Obviously, considering it doesn't have garbage writers behind it. 

I wish I could say the same for the Man of Steel sequel... But nope.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 4:34 pm

Yeah I don't doubt that Interstellar will be a good movie.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 4:53 pm

I don't understand why Nolan tried to make The Dark Knight films realistic as possible, when most of his other films aren't that realistic at all?
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 5:16 pm

I think he was going for something that was more resonant with audiences, and making Batman more grounded is the best way to make the audience feel more connected with the world, and therefore more invested in the stories of the films. Plus I think making it the way it is helps drive home the themes about terrorism and the need for this war on terror the U.S. is waging. I'd be shocked if Nolan wasn't a fan of George W. Bush's policies regarding terrorism (while certainly critical of others, like the wiretapping).
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 5:34 pm

Yeah but making it realistic kinda contradicts a lot of the Batman characters and Justice League. I don't think Nolan fully understood the Batman lore. The whole theme of the Batman franchise is about mental illness. There is nothing really relatable about that.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 5:45 pm

Dude, everyone is mentally ill in some way or another. Mental illness is VERY relatable to people, lol. And besides, that doesn't have to be a theme every time. Nolan thematically framing his trilogy around America's war on terror was a very timely and relevant thing to do.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 5:46 pm

@Mecha, well, Memento, Following, Insomnia and even The Prestige (Minus the ending twist), are all grounded, "realistic" movies in a sense, that he worked on during his Batman Reboot's inception. I wouldn't say I'm surprised by the direction he took the Batman franchise to when you look at it that way.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 5:52 pm

And they all also deal with mental illness and obsession, so in a way, he was the perfect choice to do Batman.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Earth

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 6:11 pm

I don't see Nolan's Batman as realistic. Just because it's more ground, in a relatable world, and preferred not to have fantasy elements, doesn't make it realistic. At most it's pseudo-realistic. Batman flyed in hong kong, falls from like 50+ feet and survives, manages to disappear without anyone noticing, etc, etc.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 6:24 pm

@Shrute, Yeah, exactly. 

@Yonny, well, I kind of agree with you on that. While they definitely are Grounded, I wouldn't call the films that "Realistic" in a sense.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 10:52 pm

That's what I'm talking about. Nolan does a better job dealing with mental illness and obsession in all his other films. But in The Dark Knight films, it's completely dumb down. Everyone knows Batman is just as insane as The Joker in the comics and cartoons, yet you never get a sense of that in the films. It's disappointing when you think about it, considering Nolan's previous work and the cartoons doing a better job at the psychological aspect of Batman.

Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 Batman16

Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 10:56 am

^^

Yeah, Nolan probably should've used the same obssession for his Batman trilogy that he used on his previous films as well. I actually think that his trilogy could've been better that way, although, I don't think the films would've been equally successful. Then again, you never know Razz

Also:

Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 12:03 pm

I can never get over how much Roger Deakins looks like a grown Oompa Loompa.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 4:03 pm

^^

LOL! Never looked at him from that way Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 725796345 

Also, has anyone noticed how a lot of shots from Brian DePalma's Blow Out look like they were taken straight out of a hitchcock film? I recall numerous shots that gave me that same sense and feel to it, while also being shot the same exact way. Not that I'm complaining, but it's a nice observation, nonetheless. :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Official Filmmaking Thread
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next