Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Official Filmmaking Thread

Go down 
+2
Orion
RamboOnRedBull
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Official Filmmaking Thread Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

Official Filmmaking Thread Empty
PostSubject: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 2:12 pm

Anything filmmaking related goes here. That could be related-Interviews, Film vs Digital, Director comparisons, or even your own work regarding filmmaking, or just film in itself. Etc.

Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

Official Filmmaking Thread TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 2:15 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szVDXrWpWSY

Last edited by Orion on Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 2:23 pm

^ A blank white block...?
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 2:25 pm

What? It's a link you dumbass
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Official Filmmaking Thread R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 2:26 pm

Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Official Filmmaking Thread XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 2:30 pm

Scorsese is the man. Rambo, you should watch the documentary Side By Side. It's about film versus digital and Keanu Reeves interviews a ton of famous directors which is the real reason to watch it. It was in my top ten films of last year.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 2:53 pm

Jack the Spectre wrote:
Scorsese is the man. Rambo, you should watch the documentary Side By Side. It's about film versus digital and Keanu Reeves interviews a ton of famous directors which is the real reason to watch it. It was in my top ten films of last year.

Yeah, Scorsese is an amazing director!

I'll definitely check that one out. Keep hearing stuff about it, too. :)
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 2:19 pm

Mecha wrote:

While I respect his opinion, I still think he's pulling a cop-out.

I'm just glad there still are people like Scorsese, Terrence Malick, David O' Russel, and Nolan who know to stand their grounds.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Official Filmmaking Thread PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 3:00 pm

NOLAN! NOLAN! NOLAN! lol

But seriously, Nolan is one of the best.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 3:52 pm

Christopher Nolan is a big fan of Michael Bay movies. :truestory: 
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 3:57 pm

He's also a bigger fan of Stanley Kubrick. Just saying.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 12:04 am

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:

While I respect his opinion, I still think he's pulling a cop-out.

I'm just glad there still are people like Scorsese, Terrence Malick, David O' Russel, and Nolan who know to stand their grounds.
Scorsese switched over to digital if I recall correctly. I think Hugo was shot digitally.

yonny616 wrote:
NOLAN! NOLAN! NOLAN! lol

But seriously, Nolan is one of the best.
Ever? God, not even close to being close. But he is one of the best directors to emerge into the spotlight this century. Even then though, Edgar Wright, Sofia Coppola, and Shane Carruth are all superior in my opinion. Nolan's biggest talent is framing stories; things like dialogue, shot composition, pacing, etc. are either par or subpar.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Earth

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 1:08 pm

@Jack I never said "ever". He is one of the best though.

@Mecha I like some Michael Bay films.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 1:14 pm

Hugo was shot in Digital? How come I never read about this? :scratch:
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 1:17 pm

Orson Welles hated Alfred Hitchcock, Charlie Chaplin and other Hollywood legends

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/jun/29/orson-welles-criticism-hollywood-stars-tapes
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 1:22 pm

Orson Welles was nowhere near Hitchcock or Chaplin. Actor nor filmmaker. Official Filmmaking Thread 725796345 

The only thing that makes Orson Welles close to those legends is Citizen Kane. Everything beyond that doesn't even come close.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 2:55 pm

yonny616 wrote:
@Jack I never said "ever". He is one of the best though.
Best of what? Current filmmakers? All filmmakers? Blockbuster filmmakers? What does that mean?

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Hugo was shot in Digital? How come I never read about this? :scratch:
Well it was shot with 3D cameras and I don't think you can do that kind of 3D on a film strip.

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Orson Welles was nowhere near Hitchcock or Chaplin. Actor nor filmmaker. Official Filmmaking Thread 725796345 

The only thing that makes Orson Welles close to those legends is Citizen Kane. Everything beyond that doesn't even come close.
Orson Welles is just as prolific a filmmaker as Alfred Hitchcock and Charlie Chaplin, if not more as a person. Citizen Kane aside, he wrote and directed Othello and Touch of Evil, among other critically-acclaimed films. On top of that, he founded the Mercury Theater was behind the infamous radio broadcast of The War of the Worlds in 1938, which caused widespread panic and fear due to audiences thinking it was real. And besides, Citizen Kane alone is better than any film made by Hitchcock or Chaplin, as brilliant as they both are.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 3:03 pm

LAWL @ Your last sentence. Official Filmmaking Thread 725796345 

Citizen Kane doesn't touch Hitchcock's deep, psychotic, suspense films. Also, when I referred to Chaplin I specifically said as an "Actor". Orson doesn't touch Chaplin on that level. Neither does Orson touch Hitchcock's consistent line of filmmaking. 

BTW, Even if Citizen Kane was to be "Better", that's only ONE film that's on the same level; You're forgetting that Hitchcock directed tens upon tens of those.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 3:11 pm

Hitchcock is brilliant but Citizen Kane is a perfect film. Hitchcock's films can be very corny and dated sometimes. For example, the scene in Vertigo with James Stewart's giant head over that hypnotic background, or the carousel fight in Strangers on a Train towards the end. Both great films, but definitely dated. I do prefer Hitchcock overall because, as you said, he's directed tens upon tens of these great films, but Citizen Kane is better than all of them.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 3:14 pm

Nah Tommy Wiseau is where it's at
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 3:28 pm

Jack the Spectre wrote:
Hitchcock is brilliant but Citizen Kane is a perfect film. Hitchcock's films can be very corny and dated sometimes. For example, the scene in Vertigo with James Stewart's giant head over that hypnotic background, or the carousel fight in Strangers on a Train towards the end. Both great films, but definitely dated. I do prefer Hitchcock overall because, as you said, he's directed tens upon tens of these great films, but Citizen Kane is better than all of them.

Citizen Kane is by no means a "Perfect film". I'm not saying it was bad or anything, but it's definitely far from perfect. And, it's even further from Hitchcock's top films as well. Each to his own, though.

Also, I'm not saying Welles was bad, but he's nowhere near Hitchcock, nor Chaplin. As far as their consistent work goes, that is.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 6:45 pm

Looks like someone is jelly over the fact that Citizen Kane is considered the greatest film of all time.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Earth

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 10:10 pm

@Jack Gee! I don't know. What does Christopher Nolan do again? Doctor? Police Officer?

Of course film making! Why else would I mention him?
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 10:48 pm

yonny616 wrote:
@Jack Gee! I don't know. What does Christopher Nolan do again? Doctor? Police Officer?

Of course film making! Why else would I mention him?
When did I say he wasn't a filmmaker? I was asking what category of filmmaker he was the best of. You said he wasn't the best ever, just that he's the best. I have no idea what that means.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Earth

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 3:56 am

@Jack You know the answer, unless your really slow to figure it out. Might as well answer for you since you're more likely too slow. He's one of the best filmmakers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official Filmmaking Thread   Official Filmmaking Thread I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Official Filmmaking Thread
Page 1 of 9Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next