Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]

Go down 
+13
Mikenuge
Jack the Spectre
Archduke
Pein
Chobo
Ihsahn
Stoney
Orc
igame
Hydell
Based Sonji
Bluenose
The_Biotic_God
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 10:19 pm

Sovereign Alan wrote:
chobo500 wrote:
May not agree with all of the things you said, but nice rant anyway Alan. What do you think the next rant is going to be?

Gaming journalism and how it provokes fanboyism.

*coughIGNcough*
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

Stature : 4

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 11:08 pm

Sovereign Alan wrote:

Not exactly.

I don't have to have the same opinion to understand what people are coming from when they say "this is my favorite game ever."

For example last year's GOTY was Red Dead Redemption. I personally didn't agree that it was the best game of 2010, but many other people felt that way. I understand why it was picked though.

While playing UC2, I wouldn't have guessed this game would have gotten this many awards. Nor do I understand why it deserves that many.
I can give you a bunch of reasons why it's a lot of people's favorite games (though I think there are better games). Graphics, tight controls, solid and consistent story, likable characters with a lot of comic relief, well-executed gunplay, variety of livid environments and it delves into a genre we don't see that often. Last but not least is it's FUN.

So I don't see why you can't see it being people's favorite game. I can see it, but I totally disagree with it. It has its flaws, but it's a damn good game.
Back to top Go down
Mikenuge
Guard
Guard
Mikenuge

Stature : 39
UK
Playing : With my small penis

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 11:18 pm

[quote="Sovereign Alan] The platforming in UC2 is also anything but realistic. There are some walls and jumps that are just impossible for humans to do that you see Drake doing in UC2. There are also some walls and jumps that even I could make in real life yet Drake apparently can't in the game. [/quote]

Its a game bro.
Back to top Go down
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 11:27 pm

Lykos wrote:
Teckno wrote:
DukemNukem43 wrote:
Teckno wrote:
Don't double post. The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 21888

Why not? At XBR and PS3N we could double post.
We're not XBR or PS3N. Double posting is unnecessary. Just stick with the rules and we can all be happy campers.

Sometimes double posting is necessary. For example, if you need to respond to 3 different people, you cant just copy and paste what they said (to quote and reply) because computers only allow you to copy single things.
Therefore to respond to all you have to either copy , edit your post and paste it in or just save time and just double post. I mean I haven't double posted yet on this forum (if I have its only once) but sometimes it just makes sense.

Unless there's a way to select several things to quote?

You can copy multiple things at onces...like so...

Teckno wrote:
DukemNukem43 wrote:
Teckno wrote:

We're not XBR or PS3N. Double posting is unnecessary. Just stick with the rules and we can all be happy campers.

I dislike campers.

DukemNukem43 wrote:
Teckno wrote:

ghey
Back to top Go down
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
igame

in front of computer
Playing : comedy

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 2:19 am

Looks like someone didn't like the pic i posted and deleted it
Well here it is again :)

The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 Video-games-praised-by-everyone-are-soo-mainstream-
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 5:39 pm

igame wrote:

The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 Video-games-praised-by-everyone-are-soo-mainstream-

I didn't delete it. Razz Scouts honor.

Ihsahn wrote:
Sovereign Alan wrote:

Not exactly.

I don't have to have the same opinion to understand what people are coming from when they say "this is my favorite game ever."

For example last year's GOTY was Red Dead Redemption. I personally didn't agree that it was the best game of 2010, but many other people felt that way. I understand why it was picked though.

While playing UC2, I wouldn't have guessed this game would have gotten this many awards. Nor do I understand why it deserves that many.
I can give you a bunch of reasons why it's a lot of people's favorite games (though I think there are better games). Graphics, tight controls, solid and consistent story, likable characters with a lot of comic relief, well-executed gunplay, variety of livid environments and it delves into a genre we don't see that often. Last but not least is it's FUN.

So I don't see why you can't see it being people's favorite game. I can see it, but I totally disagree with it. It has its flaws, but it's a damn good game.

Story and graphics are the only categories that I can atleast understand where all the praise is coming from. But gunplay? Seriously? "delves into a genre we don't see that often." There are much better TPSs. And I don't consider UC2 to even have remotely decent "platforming" elements.

Again, I never said it wasn't a decent game but it has WAY too many flaws to have such high scores and so many awards. Hence the title of my thread being about the "Uncharted Hypetrain."
Back to top Go down
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
igame

in front of computer
Playing : comedy

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 5:53 pm

Sovereign Alan wrote:
igame wrote:

I didn't delete it. Razz Scouts honor.

Funny. cuz i don't remember blaming you Razz
admit it man, you did it! :x
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 7:41 pm

Nah really bro. That's the first time I've seen it.

I don't know why anyone else would delete it. Maybe you were high or something and you thought it posted when it didn't? It happens to the best of us The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 2505020059.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 10:27 pm

Yes, the gunplay is smooth as butter I'm not sure what game you're playing, but I thoroughly enjoy the shooting.

Sure, the platforming is on-rails, but it's fun as hell. The scope of it all when you're doing it is awesome.

The genre =/= TPS. Adventure-y, Tomb Raider-esque games don't really get made anymore. Its a breath of fresh air in the stagnation of modern mainstream gaming.
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 10:28 pm

Ihsahn wrote:
Yes, the gunplay is smooth as butter I'm not sure what game you're playing, but I thoroughly enjoy the shooting.

Sure, the platforming is on-rails, but it's fun as hell. The scope of it all when you're doing it is awesome.

The genre =/= TPS. Adventure-y, Tomb Raider-esque games don't really get made anymore. Its a breath of fresh air in the stagnation of modern mainstream gaming.

In other words, it takes a break from the SHOOT SHOOT GORE GORE HARDCORE HARDCORE MUSCLY SHOOT HEADSHOT +103412345PTS FOR HEADSHOT OMFG HARDCORE HEADSHOT BLOOOOOOOOOOD.

That?
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 10:29 pm

Uncharted perfects what it does. A fun action/Adventure game with a good story and funny, lovable characters. Let's just end it with that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Hypnotoad wrote:
Ihsahn wrote:

In other words, it takes a break from the SHOOT SHOOT GORE GORE HARDCORE HARDCORE MUSCLY SHOOT HEADSHOT +103412345PTS FOR HEADSHOT OMFG HARDCORE HEADSHOT BLOOOOOOOOOOD.

That?
Yep exactly. Razz

That's why I enjoyed it so much. Outside of the modern gaming context, though, I'd probably give it a low to mid 80.

Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 10:36 pm

Ihsahn wrote:

It's more of TPS than an adventure game. The gunplay is average, not very exciting, and generally doesn't stand out in the sea of shooters/action games this generation. I fail to see how it's a "breath of fresh air" in terms of gameplay. Sure, you might like the adventure-y setting but you can't be serious about categorizing UC as a game that isn't a TPS even though the entire core gameplay is modeled off of TPSs like Gears of War and Killswitch Engage.

@ Sonji.

Alright, so now you are trying to pass off games that are fast paced and that have very satisfying gunplay as dull and shallow. How ass-backward of you. If UC2 isn't aiming to be like that since everyone that has been trying to defend it has been saying, then how is it unique at all?

Again, not meaning to say that it isn't a good game at all. Just trying to see where exactly those 100+ GOTY awards come from.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 10:39 pm

Of course it's a TPS, but it's not Modern Grimdark Shooter #377. Being a TPS doesn't make the game another TPS. It blends platforming and adventure.
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 10:40 pm

Sovereign Alan wrote:
Ihsahn wrote:

It's more of TPS than an adventure game. The gunplay is average, not very exciting, and generally doesn't stand out in the sea of shooters/action games this generation. I fail to see how it's a "breath of fresh air" in terms of gameplay. Sure, you might like the adventure-y setting but you can't be serious about categorizing UC as a game that isn't a TPS even though the entire core gameplay is modeled off of TPSs like Gears of War and Killswitch Engage.

@ Sonji.

Alright, so now you are trying to pass off games that are fast paced and that have very satisfying gunplay as dull and shallow. How ass-backward of you. If UC2 isn't aiming to be like that since everyone that has been trying to defend it has been saying, then how is it unique at all?

Again, not meaning to say that it isn't a good game at all. Just trying to see where exactly those 100+ GOTY awards come from.

I wasn't saying anything. I was just trying to understand what Ihsan was trying to say...
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 10:40 pm

Sovereign Alan wrote:
Ihsahn wrote:

@ Sonji.

Probably from the Communist company known as Sony. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 10:42 pm

Hypnotoad wrote:
Ihsahn wrote:

That?

Yes and in between getting HEADSHOT SHOOT SHOOT HEADSHOT you get promoted to SERGEANT OF THE MASTERS SERGEANTS MOST IMPORTANT PERSON OF EXTREME SERGEANTS TO THE MAX!

Uncharted 2 was definately fresh.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 11:25 pm

Reaper wrote:
Hypnotoad wrote:
Ihsahn wrote:

That?

Yes and in between getting HEADSHOT SHOOT SHOOT HEADSHOT you get promoted to SERGEANT OF THE MASTERS SERGEANTS MOST IMPORTANT PERSON OF EXTREME SERGEANTS TO THE MAX!

Uncharted 2 was definately fresh.

Duty Calls Neutral
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Stature : 3

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 10:26 pm

Hypnotoad wrote:
You ask why...

Because it reinvented (really the only way I can think of to describe it) the way videogame stories are told. It's one of the games that make one think and question why videogames are not hailed as an art form. The game was essentially one big blockbuster action-adventure movie that you played. It was amazing, it was different, and it was fun.

Heavy Rain was hailed as many as a step forward in videogame story-telling. The gameplay is horrendous and admittedly, you and I could develop a game with better gameplay than Heavy Rain. The game is still amazing. Not because of the gameplay or because of the graphics, but because of the way it is so to speak.

HAHAHA!

OH WOW!

The game was pretty overrated. The story just screamed generic Hollywood storytime. Also I agree on Alan, the game looks better in the cutscenes than the actual gameplay.

What's up with that?
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 11:14 pm

The story was pretty generic, but it had great execution. Much more important.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 12:38 am

Fresh? Really? There are a lot of "fresh" games out there but you're not going to find them amongst all the high budget high profile games there are. Uncharted 2 is nothing fresh, it's Gears of War + Tomb Raider like Alan said but the gameplay and platforming isn't executed as well like in those two franchises. Seriously if you want a "fresh" shooter go play freaking Borderlands or The Darkness or Bioshock and take a look at the XBL marketplace and PSN store. Calling Uncharted 2 fresh simply means you are a shallow gamer who doesn't play anything outside massively hyped video games.

Come on it was an 8 hour long game with a multiplayer that lasted a week. The co-op was really fucking fun but limited. It was a solid 85 game. It had good graphics, a good soundtrack and voice acting, a good (although plagiarized) story line with sub par gameplay. I felt like I was playing a damn movie instead of a game when I was playing Uncharted. Demon's Souls and Forza 3 in my opinion were far more deserving of 2009 GOTY.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 12:53 am

None of the games you mentioned were fresh other than Bioshock. Borderlands was an annoying grindfest with horribly repetitive environments and thinly veiled unique loot. The Darkness was another shooter with a tacked on gimmick. Story wasn't too shabby, but the gameplay itself was pretty shallow.

The fact you're using its length as an argument against the game almost immediately nullifies your argument.

And plagiarism? Really? Please. You might as well take away half the games on the market, then, because they draw inspiration from other things. Might as well call Halo a rip off of Ring World because it had a ring world in it!

Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

US

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 12:57 am

Ihsahn wrote:
None of the games you mentioned were fresh other than Bioshock. Borderlands was an annoying grindfest with horribly repetitive environments and thinly veiled unique loot. The Darkness was another shooter with a tacked on gimmick. Story wasn't too shabby, but the gameplay itself was pretty shallow.

The fact you're using its length as an argument against the game almost immediately nullifies your argument.

And plagiarism? Really? Please. You might as well take away half the games on the market, then, because they draw inspiration from other things. Might as well call Halo a rip off of Ring World because it had a ring world in it!

Lost Horizon. Uncharted 2 was practically a copy and paste of this book. I find if appalling how you say Uncharted 2 is so good and then call another game shallow lol.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 12:58 am

I haven't read the book so I won't comment on whether it was actually plagiarized, but keep in mind that Uncharted's plot is pretty standard for its genre so I'm sure it's all a coincidence.

And I find it appalling you used those games as an example to represent games that aren't shallow. Because they were and they sucked.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

US

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 1:12 am

Ihsahn wrote:
I haven't read the book so I won't comment on whether it was actually plagiarized, but keep in mind that Uncharted's plot is pretty standard for its genre so I'm sure it's all a coincidence.

And I find it appalling you used those games as an example to represent games that aren't shallow. Because they were and they sucked.

There's no way two things so similar were coincidence. It's find it appalling how you say Bioshock is fresh but then turn around and say it wasn't and that it sucked.

No matter, Uncharted 2 was not a fresh take on the genre, you know this, it did nothing new for the genre and the gameplay was standard. It's platforming elements were small and limited compared to almost all other platforming games and went along a very linear path. The gunplay was nothing special. Borderlands was fresh because it was a dungeon crawler in the guise of an FPS with RPG elements. How many of those do you see? The Darkness, well I only played the demo but it still felt pretty unique. Tell me, what did Uncharted 2 do that hasn't been or has rarely been used before?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next