Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]

Go down 
+13
Mikenuge
Jack the Spectre
Archduke
Pein
Chobo
Ihsahn
Stoney
Orc
igame
Hydell
Based Sonji
Bluenose
The_Biotic_God
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] Empty
PostSubject: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 7:59 pm

I've been waiting to make this one for a while! Alright as you may know my last rant was about Microsoft. Some of you will go "Alan I think you messed up on the title." OKay, before you guys get at me for doing this rant. I just want to say that Uncharted 2 was a good game. I enjoyed it but not nearly as much as I thought I would. I don't even see why Sony fanboys choose THIS game out of all the other fantastic Sony titles to hype up the ass.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, developed by Naughty Dog and published by Sony Computer Entertainment, won 100+ GOTY awards in 2009 and has gotten over 50 PERFECT scores. This game is hailed by many as not only the greatest Playstation game, but also one of the greatest games of all time. My question is...WHY? Sure the game has great cinematics and well-developed characters, but beyond that there really is nothing about the game that could warrant this many awards. The core gameplay itself is shallow. It has really generic weapons and none of them really pack a punch. Now a days shooters have to stand out some how, but Uncharted doesn't. The enemy AI is also very shallow and there is hardly any variety of them in the game. Don't get me started on the platforming. Alot of the walls you climb feel very on-rails. In Assasin's Creed you can climb practically any vertical object. On the other hand, most of the platforming you do in Uncharted are very selective. There isn't really any blood or gore either, making kills feel less satisfying than most shooters. The multiplayer is fun, but again nothing that really stands out. In fact the only thing that wowed me about Uncharted 2 were the co-op objective modes. But there are hardly any co-op maps. Instead of leaving me blown away about it, it leaves me thinking "hey I liked this, why the hell isn't there more of this?" Even in the story aspects of the game I have something to say. They basically use the well-developed characters and cinematics to hide the fact that story never really drives forward and that the plot itself is pretty lacking, kind of similar to Mass Effect 2.

Then there's the graphics. The oh so amazing graphics. Besides the stunning lighting and and animations, there really isn't anything over the top about the graphics. Basically everyone that praises the game's graphics bases it off of the cutscene cinematics. The cutscenes aren't even ingame, hence the digital artifacting you can clearly see. Hell, the developers even said they use the time that there engine isn't in use to load the next level, meaning that the cutscenes MUST have been pre-rendered (while maybe being inengine) like most games. UC2 is still a good looking game. Hell, it's better looking than most. Though I gotta say, to everyone that has been saying that UC2 cannot be done on the 360 or that this game is leaps and bounds better than other games and that it "pushes the bar"....ya no. Basically the polygon models and texture details are tenfold in the cutscenes compared to the actual ingame detail. Even with the linear nature of the game, the draw distances and finer details aren't as over the top compared to GOW3 or Alan Wake. The colors are bit oversaturated in some scenes, but that could just come down to personal preference. I personally thought UC2 stole the best graphics award from Killzone 2 in 2009.

Do you know what Uncharted is? It's a nicer, G-rated, slower paced version of Gears of War + Tomb Raider. That's it. It's not the greatest fucking Playstation game ever nor is this GOTY worthy. I give up on the gaming industry if UC3 somehow beats ME3, Skyrim, and a bunch of other titles that probably deserves the GOTY award much more than UC3. UC2 is by no means a bad game, but it's definantely the least deserving GOTY of this generation if not of the last decade. (EDIT: Well, I forgot about GTA4)

But ofcourse, many of you will read this as if it says "Uncharted 2 suxors lolololol" and start defending it. Get at me bitches.

Last edited by Sovereign Alan on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 8:19 pm

I wouldn't make the assumption that UC3 doesn't deserve to win GOTY. What if the game is improved immensely?
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 8:20 pm

Teckno wrote:
I wouldn't make the assumption that UC3 doesn't deserve to win GOTY. What if the game is improved immensely?

Then I take back my statement. Though I really doubt it will destroy the competition.
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 8:20 pm

You ask why...

Because it reinvented (really the only way I can think of to describe it) the way videogame stories are told. It's one of the games that make one think and question why videogames are not hailed as an art form. The game was essentially one big blockbuster action-adventure movie that you played. It was amazing, it was different, and it was fun.

Heavy Rain was hailed as many as a step forward in videogame story-telling. The gameplay is horrendous and admittedly, you and I could develop a game with better gameplay than Heavy Rain. The game is still amazing. Not because of the gameplay or because of the graphics, but because of the way it is so to speak.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 8:26 pm

Hypnotoad wrote:
You ask why...

Because it reinvented (really the only way I can think of to describe it) the way videogame stories are told. It's one of the games that make one think and question why videogames are not hailed as an art form. The game was essentially one big blockbuster action-adventure movie that you played. It was amazing, it was different, and it was fun.

Heavy Rain was hailed as many as a step forward in videogame story-telling. The gameplay is horrendous and admittedly, you and I could develop a game with better gameplay than Heavy Rain. The game is still amazing. Not because of the gameplay or because of the graphics, but because of the way it is so to speak.

So the cinematics alone warrant this game a nearly perfect score on Metacritic!? 100+ awards for making a game feel like a movie?

Dude, don't pull me this BS. I hear people saying different things. "The story matters the most." "The Gameplay is KING!."

Fact is, for a game to be outstanding in most cases, it would need to have both great gameplay and a great storyline. UC2 has a great story...sorta...maybe the first half. But it doesn't GO anywhere. People just get distracted by the awesome characters (like in ME2) and forget about the barebones plot.

Uncharted 2's cinematics aren't reinventing the wheel. What DOES it do that any other fucking shooter with a decent story has not? "Great Voice acting" isn't innovative. "Nice lighting" isn't innovative either. It just does that one aspect really well, but fails to deliver on all other aspects to live up to the whole "best PS3 game" bullshit it's been piling up over the years.
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 9:30 pm

Like i said in the chatbox earlier, while UC2 doesnt re-define gaming in any one area, its because it does everything quite well that makes it overall a great game.

I will agree it was the GTA4 of 2009 in that it got too many perfect scores.
Back to top Go down
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
igame

Stature : 39
in front of computer
Playing : comedy

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 11:06 pm

The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] Video-games-praised-by-everyone-are-soo-mainstream-
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 11:17 pm

igame wrote:
The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] Video-games-praised-by-everyone-are-soo-mainstream-

This is exactly what I think every time someone says a game is overrated ._. That's exactly how I picture most of them.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 4:54 am

Alan, you took the exact words right out of my mouth.

And see, even you are admitting that UC2's graphics aren't what they are hyped up to be.

And yes it is so damn on rails. That's my problem with it. I don't need open ended gameplay for a game to be fun but the problem with Uncharted is in that it's too planned out. I found that in one of the levels, the only thing you could actually climb up was something that you needed to progress anyway! It is just a film which you can either choose to progress in or not. You cannot choose how.

Imo, Heavy Rain is better.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 5:20 am

In-game graphics where stunning in most places, especially the part where the train crashes and you have to climb it up the side of the mountain, just mind blowing.

Graphics aren't subjective, the game is gorgeous, not just the cut-scenes, but IN-GAME.

Did it deserve all those perfect scores? Well, I'd give it a ten.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

Stature : 4

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 2:52 pm

So you're upset because you have an opinion and there are hundreds of other people with a different opinion?

It was an excellent game.
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 3:11 pm

you know what's funny? there actually is a part of the game where Uncharted 2 Literaly IS on rails.
Back to top Go down
Pein
Non-Essential NPC
Pein

Stature : -6
Macedonia

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 4:55 pm

i don't think uc3 will win this year..it has tought competition..2009 didn't really had big competition like this year will have..i would want me3 to win but if it doesn't win,i hope skyrim does..i don't want uc3 to win because the way the game is made is like the last games..you do a puzzle,shoot people,run and set piece moments,cutscene and repeat and repeat.not to mention that it will have a 6 hours campaign and online that really isn't that awesome and there you go..game of the year..
skyrim will have over 100 hours of gameplay and me3 will probably have 20 to 25 hours of gameplay..i rather have those than a game that i can beat in 1 and a half day with online that i will barely play..which i don't play online much
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 4:56 pm

Uncharted 2 us an AMAZING GAME. Hands down one of the best games ever made. The 6th highest rated game ever made. You don't need innovative gameplay to be great. It perfects what it is. The only game I can say are better than this are the Super Mario Galaxy games and Ocarina of Time. Some reviewers even gave this game an 11/10. It deserves a ten from me.

Pein wrote:
i don't think uc3 will win this year..it has tought competition..2009 didn't really had big competition like this year will have..i would want me3 to win but if it doesn't win,i hope skyrim does..i don't want uc3 to win because the way the game is made is like the last games..you do a puzzle,shoot people,run and set piece moments,cutscene and repeat and repeat.not to mention that it will have a 6 hours campaign and online that really isn't that awesome and there you go..game of the year..
skyrim will have over 100 hours of gameplay and me3 will probably have 20 to 25 hours of gameplay..i rather have those than a game that i can beat in 1 and a half day with online that i will barely play..which i don't play online much

Yeah, I get what your saying. But, Mass Effect isn't an RPG.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 5:00 pm

Don't double post. The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] 21888
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 5:02 pm

Teckno wrote:

Why not? At XBR and PS3N we could double post.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 5:03 pm

DukemNukem43 wrote:
Teckno wrote:

We're not XBR or PS3N. Double posting is unnecessary. Just stick with the rules and we can all be happy campers.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 5:32 pm

All valid points, Alan, but Uncharted nails what it aims to do. What's great about the gameplay is the variety in the set pieces. One minute you're on a snowy mountain, climbing to the front of a speeding train. The next, you're fighting Na'vi-like creatures in a ruined jungle.

You could argue the bare-bones gameplay about any game, including Gears of War and Mass Effect. Why does Uncharted not have a chainsaw gun or biotics, however? Because it takes place in modern times. This isn't science fiction. These are all real guns and the "blandness" of these weapons isn't really something that I think you should criticize given the setting.

I love Uncharted because of its fantastic writing and awesome set pieces. THAT'S why it got great scores. Does it deserve a perfect ten in my book? No, but anything below an 8.5 and you're just kidding yourself.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 5:45 pm

Teckno wrote:
DukemNukem43 wrote:
Teckno wrote:

We're not XBR or PS3N. Double posting is unnecessary. Just stick with the rules and we can all be happy campers.

Sometimes double posting is necessary. For example, if you need to respond to 3 different people, you cant just copy and paste what they said (to quote and reply) because computers only allow you to copy single things.
Therefore to respond to all you have to either copy , edit your post and paste it in or just save time and just double post. I mean I haven't double posted yet on this forum (if I have its only once) but sometimes it just makes sense.

Unless there's a way to select several things to quote?
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 6:24 pm

TRF wrote:
All valid points, Alan, but Uncharted nails what it aims to do. What's great about the gameplay is the variety in the set pieces. One minute you're on a snowy mountain, climbing to the front of a speeding train. The next, you're fighting Na'vi-like creatures in a ruined jungle.

You could argue the bare-bones gameplay about any game, including Gears of War and Mass Effect. Why does Uncharted not have a chainsaw gun or biotics, however? Because it takes place in modern times. This isn't science fiction. These are all real guns and the "blandness" of these weapons isn't really something that I think you should criticize given the setting.

I love Uncharted because of its fantastic writing and awesome set pieces. THAT'S why it got great scores. Does it deserve a perfect ten in my book? No, but anything below an 8.5 and you're just kidding yourself.

You are implying I should give the game a break because it is in a realistic setting instead of a sci-fi one. Alright, let's switch up the arguement. Are weapons in real life bland and boring? NO! They are loud, fun to use, and all pack a punch. Just because the weapons are straight from real life, that doesn't mean they have to be boring. Hell, the Battlefield series has argueably one of the most interesting gunplay in any shooter and that series is somewhat of a war simulation. The platforming in UC2 is also anything but realistic. There are some walls and jumps that are just impossible for humans to do that you see Drake doing in UC2. There are also some walls and jumps that even I could make in real life yet Drake apparently can't in the game.

That's the thing, both story and gameplay are important. I'd give the story and set pieces a high 9 while giving the gameplay a low 7. Which in the end would average out to about an 8.5. I'm not ranting about how I think the game itself is bad. I was ranting about how the game is OVERRATED. 96 is an incredibly unrealistic score for this game considering everything I've just said.

Ihsahn wrote:
So you're upset because you have an opinion and there are hundreds of other people with a different opinion?

It was an excellent game.

Not exactly.

I don't have to have the same opinion to understand what people are coming from when they say "this is my favorite game ever."

For example last year's GOTY was Red Dead Redemption. I personally didn't agree that it was the best game of 2010, but many other people felt that way. I understand why it was picked though.

While playing UC2, I wouldn't have guessed this game would have gotten this many awards. Nor do I understand why it deserves that many.

Last edited by Sovereign Alan on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Stoney wrote:
In-game graphics where stunning in most places, especially the part where the train crashes and you have to climb it up the side of the mountain, just mind blowing.

I thought the draw distance was impressive about uncharted. Even if you are stuck in a linear path, it does look nice. lol
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 8:14 pm

Sovereign Alan wrote:
You are implying I should give the game a break because it is in a realistic setting instead of a sci-fi one. Alright, let's switch up the arguement. Are weapons in real life bland and boring? NO! They are loud, fun to use, and all pack a punch. Just because the weapons are straight from real life, that doesn't mean they have to be boring. Hell, the Battlefield series has argueably one of the most interesting gunplay in any shooter and that series is somewhat of a war simulation. The platforming in UC2 is also anything but realistic. There are some walls and jumps that are just impossible for humans to do that you see Drake doing in UC2. There are also some walls and jumps that even I could make in real life yet Drake apparently can't in the game.

That's the thing, both story and gameplay are important. I'd give the story and set pieces a high 9 while giving the gameplay a low 7. Which in the end would average out to about an 8.5. I'm not ranting about how I think the game itself is bad. I was ranting about how the game is OVERRATED. 96 is an incredibly unrealistic score for this game considering everything I've just said.
I for one thought the guns were all fun to use, and I tried to play around with all of them. Sure, the platforming isn't realistic, but is platforming in any game realistic? Double-jumps aren't possible, and I highly doubt most people can leap across a gap and catch the ledge with just their hands.

Ultimately, I think Uncharted is a fantastic series due to its blockbuster film qualities. Everyone wants to feel like they're in a movie, and the Uncharted series does a fantastic job of making me feel like I'm in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 8:46 pm

May not agree with all of the things you said, but nice rant anyway Alan. What do you think the next rant is going to be?
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 9:17 pm

chobo500 wrote:
May not agree with all of the things you said, but nice rant anyway Alan. What do you think the next rant is going to be?

Gaming journalism and how it provokes fanboyism.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 9:58 pm

Sovereign Alan wrote:
Gaming journalism and how it provokes fanboyism.
I'd like to read that, although I hope you realize that many journalism sites throw in a dash of fanboyism here and there to gain readers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]   The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2] I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Rant: The Uncharted Hypetrain [Episode 2]
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next