Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.

Go down 
+8
Based Sonji
Orc
NoelX2
Ihsahn
The_Biotic_God
2Sugoi2Die
Jack the Spectre
Archduke
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  Empty
PostSubject: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 8:55 pm

I'm tired of FPS games being what the industry is focusing all their attention on first person and beating COD. It’s really annoying to see new FPS games come out and only have a 6 hour campaign, with online MP that only a select few people play. Yes, there are many great FPS games out there. I'm really looking forward to Battlefield 3 and Duke Nukem Forever. Unfortunately, I've just about had enough. I mean, games used to have originality. The military shooters formula is damn annoying. The games like Battlefield, COD, Halo are so popular and are played by millions online. I don’t have a problem with that. I do have a problem with the millions of gamers worldwide who are skipping great singleplayer games just to see what beats COD online MP. The industry is full of fragheads who think that having guns is the only way a game can be good. Other genres are having mediocre series this gen due to the popular demand of FPS games. Yes, the FPS hybrid games are quite refreshing and devs are applauded with trying something new.

Finally, I think the devs should make more FPS/rpg’s. The Fallout series is very successful, Borderlands is great, and Rage looks like a hit as well.

Thank you for reading my rant.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 9:10 pm

Funny thing is, I DIDN'T read your rant. I read your title and and knew what this cookie-cutter rant was about.

Pretty sure we all unanimously agree with you. Razz
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 10:11 pm

If you just ignore the FPS genre. Your life would be a little bit better.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 10:15 pm

There is always going to be a dominant genre in gaming. Before it was fighting games, and before that it was platformers. It's just a phase of gaming.

Even then, there is more diversity in this "fraghead phase" compared to the "fighting" and "platformer" phases of gaming.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

Stature : 4

PostSubject: Re: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 10:18 pm

Is it really diversity, though? FPS' can be set in the 1800s or 2170. Won't stop the fact they all play way too similar. Not saying it isn't possible, but I'd hardly call the FPS' of today diverse.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 10:23 pm

I'm sorry. I should have worded my post better.

What I meant by better diversity was that there are still alot of RPGs, Racers, MMOs, Fighters, Platformers, etc despite the dominance of FPS games.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

Stature : 4

PostSubject: Re: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 10:26 pm

That's true (and expected with the growth of video gaming as a whole) but only a rare few get the spotlight like Skyrim, Forza, WoW, MvC3, Mario etc. respectively, much like it was 10 years ago or whatever.

Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 10:32 pm

That's true. I'm afraid if any game will take away COD's thunder it will be another FPS game. I think this phase will last atleast a decade more.
Back to top Go down
NoelX2
Final Boss
Final Boss
NoelX2

Stature : 91
Playing : SF3

PostSubject: Re: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 10:51 pm

But I like military FPS's. THEY ARE FUN!!!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/XNoel2?feature=mhum
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 11:18 pm

ArcanaOfB3ast wrote:

ahem.. Space marines
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
NoelX2
Final Boss
Final Boss
NoelX2

Playing : SF3

PostSubject: Re: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 11:40 pm

DukemNukem43 wrote:
ArcanaOfB3ast wrote:

ahem.. Space marines
I dont like them. Neutral
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/XNoel2?feature=mhum
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 5:20 am

[WARNING: BIG POST]

I agree more or less. I've just not bought so many shooters because there's simply not enough variation. :S

Games I skipped:
Most COD games
Black Ops
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Medal of Honor
Metro 2033
Sniper Ghost Warrior

and loads more because there's not anything particularly distinct about them, except for l4d which has zombies and metro which is focused on single player, they don't really have anything going for them.

FPS's I did buy are:

Halo 3 (and I borrowed odst and enjoyed it)
Halo Reach (shit)
Modern Warfare 2 (fun for a while)
Timeshift (very good)
Frontlines (alright)
Shadowrun (good)
the Darkness (good)

Now, I'm not a bit first person shooting fan so for me to have bought all of those just shows what a massive impact the fps genre has had on gaming today.
Thing is I enjoyed most of the above games like Timeshift and Shadowrun because they do stuff differently! Having a lot of shooters is fine but there needs to be more innovation or things are going to get boring fast. (and they kind of already have)

What I hate about gaming these days is that people are generally incapable of being creative, either that or they don't want to be creative. You see, you get two ends of the spectrums when it comes to fps's. You get realistic war shooters on one end and then you have sci-fi or horror kind of stuff like aliens and zombies on the other end. There is no inbetween anymore. Why don't you get anymore games like the Darkness where you have a realistic, believable setting but with the addition of super powers like the ability to spawn creatures called darklings, the ability to grow hydra type monsters out of your arms, etc.
Or Shadowrun where you have some races similar to WoW or even Timeshift where you can slow down, pause or rewind time.
:S Are developers lazy? Or is it that the gamers of today are so narrow minded and only appreciate one or two styles of games?

Join us again next week to find out I love you
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 7:34 am

Lykos wrote:
[WARNING: BIG POST]

Games I skipped:
Most COD games
Black Ops
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Medal of Honor
Metro 2033
Sniper Ghost Warrior

These are the only good ones on this list.
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Stature : 3

PostSubject: Re: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 10:00 pm

Alanski wrote:
That's true. I'm afraid if any game will take away COD's thunder it will be another FPS game. I think this phase will last atleast a decade more.

I'm hoping Platinum's new online brawler will take over.

But then the market will be over-saturated with brawlers.

sigh.
Back to top Go down
IcyMeteor
Creep
Creep
IcyMeteor

Stature : 0
deek at em illinois
Playing : good

PostSubject: Re: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 10:22 pm

DukemNukem43 wrote:
I'm tired of FPS games being what the industry is focusing all their attention on first person and beating COD. It’s really annoying to see new FPS games come out and only have a 6 hour campaign, with online MP that only a select few people play. Yes, there are many great FPS games out there. I'm really looking forward to Battlefield 3 and Duke Nukem Forever. Unfortunately, I've just about had enough. I mean, games used to have originality. The military shooters formula is damn annoying. The games like Battlefield, COD, Halo are so popular and are played by millions online. I don’t have a problem with that. I do have a problem with the millions of gamers worldwide who are skipping great singleplayer games just to see what beats COD online MP. The industry is full of fragheads who think that having guns is the only way a game can be good. Other genres are having mediocre series this gen due to the popular demand of FPS games. Yes, the FPS hybrid games are quite refreshing and devs are applauded with trying something new.

Finally, I think the devs should make more FPS/rpg’s. The Fallout series is very successful, Borderlands is great, and Rage looks like a hit as well.

Thank you for reading my rant.

I for one agree with you there are so many great single player games out there that most gamers wont even touch cause it doesnt have online
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

PostSubject: Re: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 10:38 pm

I really think they should consider lowering the price for single-player games.

Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 11:37 pm

Pickles1337 wrote:
I really think they should consider lowering the price for single-player games.

Think more development money goes towards the single-player lol.
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

PostSubject: Re: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 12:24 am

>>>Looks at Halo Reach campaign.

Nah.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 2:42 pm

It's the market. They see whats popular and make a game fitting to that style. It's all about the money.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

PostSubject: Re: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 4:02 pm

The only FPS's I really play anymore are L4D and Killing Floor, and Amnesia if you count that as an FPS. Especially since I have moved on to PC gaming I have moved away from FPS's. Gaming is a hell of a lot better away from traditional FPS's.
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

PostSubject: Re: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 4:34 pm

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
The only FPS's I really play anymore are L4D and Killing Floor, and Amnesia if you count that as an FPS. Especially since I have moved on to PC gaming I have moved away from FPS's. Gaming is a hell of a lot better away from traditional FPS's.

what is this i don't even...
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

LittleBigP

PostSubject: Re: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 4:51 pm

LMFAO, Pickles. That line was LMFAOROFLMFAOBBQ.

The PC is notorious for its amazing FPS games.

Last edited by TheUltimateDouche on Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 5:26 pm

Just like I'm sure the 360 is notorious for its amazing 360 games and the PS3 is notorious for its amazing PS3 games.

I'm not sure what the point of that statement was. Razz
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

LittleBigP

PostSubject: Re: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 8:30 pm

^^

Sorry, meant FPS games. I edited it.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 11:52 pm

I figured you meant that. Buttons. I can't resist pushing them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.    RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RANT: Why military FPS needs to take a step back.
Page 1 of 1