Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best film format?

Go down 
+9
Archduke
Bluenose
Fenrir
yonny616
RamboOnRedBull
2Sugoi2Die
Mecha
Chobo
Orc
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Which is your preferred format?
 Super 8
 VHS
 DVD
 HD DVD
 Blu Ray
View results
AuthorMessage
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 7:34 pm

I vote VHS because you can fastforward the adverts, plus they are robust fuckers so it takes a lot to break them, plus they don't jump or scratch as easy as dvds, plus they are rarely stretched across two cassettes but rather usually fit on one.

VHS MASTER RACE!
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Best film format? 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 7:37 pm

Yeah, VHS is the best format for movies ever. If it weren't for the image quality, it'd be perfect.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Best film format? R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 7:38 pm

35mm film > All
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 7:55 pm

Ogg-Theora
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Best film format? StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 8:11 pm

I'll never let go of my VHS tapes.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 8:19 pm

Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Best film format? Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 10:11 am

Blu-Ray, obviously.

However, I don't find it to be much of an upgrade on the previous format. But that's just me.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 10:23 am

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Blu-Ray, obviously.

However, I don't find it to be much of an upgrade on the previous format. But that's just me.

Yeah it isn't a big upgrade. Although the size of the disk is larger, everything is uncompressed so most films on Blu RAy still have multiple disks. They don't scratch so easily, which is nice, but they still have adverts you are forced to watch and can't skip.

I put my dvd and blu ray of Rise of the Planet of the Apes side by side and there is a significant improvement with the Blu Ray. Incredible clarity, however whether it's worth paying more for or not? THat's arguable.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Best film format? PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 2:01 pm

Blu-Ray > all

@Orc You can't skip ads? I always skip my ads, probably has something to do with what films you have and if the studio wants you skipping their ads.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 2:23 pm

I don't know about the UK, but Blu-rays are pretty damn cheap now here in the US. So it doesn't make any sense to continue buying DVDs when Blu-rays are available for basically the same price.

As for Blu-rays looking only slightly better than DVDs, that's all changing now. Movies are now starting to get remastered at 4K, which most Blu-rays aren't. Just look at The Terminator example, for a low budget film from the early 80s, it looks awesome on Blu-ray.
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 2:52 pm

I only buy Movies in Blu-Ray if the movie came out Post 2007. Otherwise, It won't make much of a difference.
Back to top Go down
Fenrir
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Fenrir

Best film format? E0Pbf6f
Stature : 14
The Dreadf
Playing : Pin the dick on the Reek

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 4:28 pm

DVD for the simplicity.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Best film format? Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 4:54 pm

Fenrir wrote:
DVD...'Cause I'm broke.

Fixed. Razz
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 6:11 pm

Chobo wrote:
I only buy Movies in Blu-Ray if the movie came out Post 2007. Otherwise, It won't make much of a difference.

What do you mean? Are you saying that older films don't belong on Blu-ray? If so then that's bullcrap.
Back to top Go down
Fenrir
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Fenrir

Best film format? E0Pbf6f
Stature : 14
The Dreadf
Playing : Pin the dick on the Reek

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 6:43 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Fenrir wrote:
DVD...'Cause I'm broke.

Fixed. Razz

I am a pirate! born and bred. Yarr... hence the choice ^^
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Best film format? Empty
Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 7:25 pm

Oh man, VHS tapes are the best. So many fond memories of just recording shows on tv and replaying them. I think my family and I recorded the whole Three's Company Series, I love Genie, and several episodes of Golden Girls. Plus a plethora of movies. Illegal, but who cares. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 7:54 pm

I just remembered something, where the fuck is laserdisc?
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 8:33 pm

Mecha wrote:
Chobo wrote:

What do you mean? Are you saying that older films don't belong on Blu-ray? If so then that's bullcrap.

No, I'm just saying I don't notice a quality difference when I watch and older film on Blu-Ray than I do a newer one. That's why I buy Older films on DVD/VHS and newer films on Blu-Ray.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 8:54 pm

You obviously don't watch a lot of older films on Blu-ray then. Go watch Ben-Hur, Blade Runner, The Terminator, Jaws, Aliens, Taxi Driver, The Wizard of Oz, and tell me you don't notice the quality.

Ghostbusters has just been remastered in 4K as well, and it looks a lot better than the current Blu-ray. Can't wait to pick that up.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 4:38 am

Mecha wrote:
You obviously don't watch a lot of older films on Blu-ray then. Go watch Ben-Hur, Blade Runner, The Terminator, Jaws, Aliens, Taxi Driver, The Wizard of Oz, and tell me you don't notice the quality.

Ghostbusters has just been remastered in 4K as well, and it looks a lot better than the current Blu-ray. Can't wait to pick that up.

Comparison needed 4 science
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 5:30 pm

VHS for the MOTHERFUCKING WIN!!!!!!!! Still got plenty of them lying around.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 12:30 pm

lol, at my comments. Can't believe I actually wrote all that. Best film format? 1443829230

Sorry, Chobo.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Best film format? XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 7:19 pm

If anything, older films are better to buy on Blu-Ray than newer ones. The difference between a new DVD and a new Blu-Ray is much smaller than the difference between an old DVD and a new Blu-Ray, because chances are, the DVD version of an old film came out wayyyyyy earlier than the Blu-Ray version.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 7:55 pm

I kinda like how older films look better. Movies today look too digital, even if they were shot on film. Just look at Pulp Fiction, it looks better than Django Unchained on Blu-ray.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Best film format? XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 11:04 am

My favorite transfer is still 2001: A Space Odyssey, but Taxi Driver and Pulp Fiction are runners-up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Best film format? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best film format?   Best film format? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best film format?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next