Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can the PS Vita survive 2013?

Go down 
+3
yonny616
Bluenose
Mecha
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Can the PS Vita survive 2013? Empty
PostSubject: Can the PS Vita survive 2013?   Can the PS Vita survive 2013? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 8:46 am

Let's face it, the PS Vita didn't do well in 2012 and i don't see it getting any better in the future. I though that the Vita would find a fanbase in the west but sadly i stand corrected.

Though it launched in the west to acceptable sales with a slew of high-quality titles at its helm, the excitement for the system dissipated hastily in the months that followed. Despite critically acclaimed titles they lacked retail success. As of now the best selling game is Uncharted: Golden Abyss which should be over 800,000 copies by now followed by Fifa Soccer with over 350,000 copies so as of now the only potential game to hit 1 million is Uncharted.

The 3DS is also utterly destroying the Vita in Japan which is the biggest handheld market and to even add more damage to that they snatched the Monster Hunter series which was PSP's main killer app for the Japanese market.

The Vita did a great job this holiday though and the two bundled games (Black ops Declassified and Assassins Creed Liberation) did a solid job but clearly weren't the killer apps that could've turned the Vita's situation around.

So as you see it just doesn't look good with the Vita and i highly doubt it will even reach the PSP lifetime sales. Can 2013 do something to turn this around?

As of now the biggest Vita games of 2013 are:

Sly Cooper Thieves in Time
Killzone Mercenary
Tearaway
Soul Sacrifice
Rachet & Clank QForce
Phantasy Star Online 2 (Japan exclusive)
Tales of Hearts R (Japan exclusive)
Guilty Gear
God Eater 2
Valhalla Knights 3
Dead or Alive 5 Plus
Demon Gaze (Japan exclusive)
Monster Monpiece (Japan exclusive)
Senran Kagura (Japan exclusive)
Atelier (Japan Exclusive)
Warrior’s Lair

Now i think that the list provides a great amount of Japanese titles which will very likely help push hardware in the Japanese market hopefully and the system should sell much better in the west if it had a price cut.

Possible upcoming titles:

Uncharted Bend sequel
GTA Vita

Uncharted: Golden Abyss is vita's best selling title so i wouldn't be surprised if they would bundle the vita next year with an uncharted sequel during the holidays, there have been plenty of rumors of a GTA title being developed for the Vita which should move some hardware aswell considering the GTA story games sold incredible on the PSP.

So what are your thoughts. Does the Vita need to cater to the Japanese market more? Should it make a strong price cut? Should they advertise their bundles games more? Can 2013 safe the Vita?
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Can the PS Vita survive 2013? R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Can the PS Vita survive 2013?   Can the PS Vita survive 2013? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 8:57 am

Even though the Vita h as a lot of cool features, its still way too pricy. It needs a price cut real soon.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Can the PS Vita survive 2013?   Can the PS Vita survive 2013? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 3:38 pm

Sony is missing that unique factor in the Vita. People just see it as another more high tech PSP, nothing special.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Can the PS Vita survive 2013? PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: Can the PS Vita survive 2013?   Can the PS Vita survive 2013? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 4:06 pm

The PSVita needs to drop price to $199(WiFi)/$249(3G/WiFi), maybe even drop the 3G model all togather. Also my biggest gripe about the Vita is its overly expensive memory cards.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: Can the PS Vita survive 2013?   Can the PS Vita survive 2013? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 6:09 pm

The tables have turned a bit for me admittedly. It seems a number of Vita's games are getting hate simply because the are either stripped down ports or somewhat "generic" games that aren't ideal for a handheld. But this is the exact same issue that PSP had. People seem to dislike console-style games on handhelds, but I actually like it.

But yeah Vita is somewhat lacking a compelling games library overall. But 3DS had a weak start too so we just need to wait and see.

I'm on the fence with 3DS admittedly, it had a good year but a lot of its games aren't quite to my tastes. The only ones that truly interest me are RE: Revelations and Kingdom Hearts. Next year should be better though with Super Smash Bros, Animal Crossing (COME AT ME), Monster Hunter and hopefully Legend of Zelda Majoras Mask.
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Can the PS Vita survive 2013? StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: Can the PS Vita survive 2013?   Can the PS Vita survive 2013? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 6:56 pm

Phantasy Star Online 2 is F2P on PC and getting a US and Europe release in early 2013
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Can the PS Vita survive 2013? XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Can the PS Vita survive 2013?   Can the PS Vita survive 2013? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2012 8:38 pm

It'll make it through 2013, I just don't think it'll improve. No one's buying it, and so no one's making games for it. And when they do, those games flop hard. I can't think of a single Vita game that lived up to the legacy of its franchise.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: Can the PS Vita survive 2013?   Can the PS Vita survive 2013? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 10:45 am

^

Whereas 3DS has arguably the best Mariokart game yet, a fucking fantastic Super Mario Land game, the best Resident Evil game in ages, a high quality remake of one of the greatest games of all time Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, and so on.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Can the PS Vita survive 2013?   Can the PS Vita survive 2013? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2012 3:26 pm

Nope. PS Vita is basically dead in the water at this point.

BTW, PS Vita :fuckthat:
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can the PS Vita survive 2013?   Can the PS Vita survive 2013? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can the PS Vita survive 2013?
Page 1 of 1