Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" Empty
PostSubject: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2015 5:59 pm

Quote :
“We’re not putting on a show. This has to change. Forget film. If that experience isn’t valued, people will stop going.”

Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" 1227595_Chistopher-Nolan

Quote :
The director of the Dark Knight trilogy, Inception and Interstellar added: “Cinema attendance is relatively stable but it’s not standing up the way it used to.

“The idea it’s dying as an experience or undervalued by younger cinemagoers is complete bollocks. But the experience has to be great or, of course, people won’t come.”
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2015 6:47 pm

He has a point. My biggest fear for the future is technology reducing the value of things we take take for granted. By next year, we'll already have access to a theater-like experience right at home. Kinda like how people stop going to Blockbuster after they got access through streaming. So they really need to do something soon.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2015 8:58 pm

Mecha wrote:
He has a point. My biggest fear for the future is technology reducing the value of things we take take for granted. By next year, we'll already have access to a theater-like experience right at home. Kinda like how people stop going to Blockbuster after they got access through streaming. So they really need to do something soon.
I don't think people will stop going to theaters because they have "theater-like" experiences. It's all about the money. The more expensive it gets the more in decline it becomes. Also with all the theater shootings and stuff it might scare people away.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 12:35 am

yonny616 wrote:
Mecha wrote:
I don't think people will stop going to theaters because they have "theater-like" experiences. It's all about the money. The more expensive it gets the more in decline it becomes. Also with all the theater shootings and stuff it might scare people away.

But there are shootings everywhere though. =/
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 8:13 am

yonny616 wrote:
Mecha wrote:

Except that people go to movie theaters to get an experience they can't get elsewhere. It's the same reason why people are willing to pull out money in droves if a good film with great IMAX is out. It's the same reason why blockbuster movies are so popular. It's the same reason why people don't see that many smaller films until they get to the home market. It's all about giving an experience that you can't get anywhere else.

BTW, ticket prices are higher this year than the last couple of years, and attendance is still higher than previous couple of years, at this point. 

Price isn't the real issue; the experience is.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 8:53 am

It's true. I mainly watch smaller films at home than I do at the movie theaters. Not because I prefer blockbusters more, oh no, but because I have a more personal experience watching smaller films right at home than I do at a movie theater. Because if you go to the movie theaters by yourself and there's not too many people there, then it can ruin the atmosphere and you just leave home feeling kinda empty. That's why I go watch Marvel movies. Because I know they have the audience to enhanced the experience.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 9:00 am

Mecha wrote:
It's true. I mainly watch smaller films at home than I do at the movie theaters. Not because I prefer blockbusters more, oh no, but because I have a more personal experience watching smaller films right at home than I do at a movie theater. Because if you go to the movie theaters by yourself and there's not too many people there, then it can ruin the atmosphere and you just leave home feeling kinda empty. That's why I go watch Marvel movies. Because I know they have the audience to enhanced the experience.

The main difference is that smaller films usually focus on the characters and story, which is fine, but that also means that the theater experience doesn't make it any better. With blockbuster movies - they're spectacles. Movies that will never be the same outside theaters. 

It'd be great if studios decided to do more experiements like Sony's The Walk, where it's a smaller film that has IMAX as well. That would be one way of mixing the two without increasing the budget too much.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 9:37 am

@RamboOnRedBull Haven't been impressed with IMAX lately. For some reason I have yet to see an IMAX 3D film that was as impressive as the documentaries that I saw when I was younger. Hell, even the Avatar IMAX 3D experience was just okay. Not to mention, most people don't pay to go see IMAX.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 9:57 am

Mecha wrote:
@RamboOnRedBull Haven't been impressed with IMAX lately. For some reason I have yet to see an IMAX 3D film that was as impressive as the documentaries that I saw when I was younger. Hell, even the Avatar IMAX 3D experience was just okay. Not to mention, most people don't pay to go see IMAX.

A lot of people pay for IMAX if they believe it gives value. Even Everest, a movie that no-one talked about and that had mixed reception, ended up earning close to 8 million dollars in limited release only on IMAX alone. The movie itself had earned less than 38 million in the US after an entire month of expanded release outside of IMAX. The movie pretty much died when it released in theaters without it. 

Whenever a movie comes out with great IMAX, people go see it more than they would otherwise. Your example of AVATAR's IMAX 3D is pretty invalid since the movie earned most of its money from 3D and IMAX. Something that the masses go to if they believe it's done well. One way or another. 

Besides, I didn't suggest to do smaller films with IMAX, specifically, but that studios should try to do more similar experiments with smaller films so they can have that spectacle that audiences go to. IMAX or not, they need to experiment to find something about it.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 10:13 am

@RamboOnRedBull Yeah, but that's Avatar. I was talking about movies like Godzilla and Inception. Yes, a lot of people went to go see them, but you expected more people to go considering the experience. Then again, a lot of people don't care enough to pay the extra price. But you are right about experimenting it though.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 10:20 am

Mecha wrote:
@RamboOnRedBull Yeah, but that's Avatar. I was talking about movies like Godzilla and Inception. Yes, a lot of people went to go see them, but you expected more people to go considering the experience. Then again, a lot of people don't care enough to pay the extra price. But you are right about experimenting it though.

Inception wasn't marketed as a huge IMAX experience, where as Avatar and Everest were. You can't expect to make a spectacle and then make people pay the extra price just to see if it's better - they want to know that it's better.

Oh well, we all know what'll happen in 2017, anyway, so all I'll say is:

Spoiler:

#WIN
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 10:23 am

@RamboOnRedBull DERP! I meant Interstellar. Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" 1443829230 @ myself.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 12:11 pm

Mecha wrote:
@RamboOnRedBull DERP! I meant Interstellar. Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" 1443829230 @ myself.

Your fail goes beyond the voyage of the interstellar of space itself. Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" 2505020059
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2015 7:05 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/oct/16/paranormal-activity-the-ghost-dimension-scares-off-cinema-owners

See! This is the kinda shit I'm talking about.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2015 7:12 pm

Mecha wrote:
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/oct/16/paranormal-activity-the-ghost-dimension-scares-off-cinema-owners

The less and fewer movies people see in theaters, the more often this will happen.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2015 7:20 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:

The less and fewer movies people see in theaters, the more often this will happen.

Stop it, Rambo. You are scaring me. D:
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2015 7:26 pm

Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:

Simple solution: Watch more movies in theaters and it won't happen. 

Joking aside (only slightly joking, lol), I don't see a single time where studios will shorten the window further and further. The last time that happened, Sony lost tens of millions of dollars in profit and revenue. This is more of a way to test the ground. I don't believe Paramount will see the profit that they're after.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2015 7:37 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:

Joking aside (only slightly joking, lol), I don't see a single time where studios will shorten the window further and further. The last time that happened, Sony lost tens of millions of dollars in profit and revenue. This is more of a way to test the ground. I don't believe Paramount will see the profit that they're after.

I know. It's just annoying because this isn't the first time studios have attempted this. Thankfully, filmmakers and movie theaters are here to tell them to fuck off.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2015 7:43 pm

Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:

I know. It's just annoying because this isn't the first time studios have attempted this. Thankfully, filmmakers and movie theaters are here to tell them to fuck off.

The great thing is that it also never worked for them. I don't believe this strategy will ever work for them.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2015 7:46 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:

The great thing is that it also never worked for them. I don't believe this strategy will ever work for them.

I don't think it will work either. But studios will do almost anything to make a profit. Even if it means killing the magic of cinema. So they're never going to stop, even if this doesn't work. They will always try and try again.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2015 7:48 pm

Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:

I don't think it will work either. But studios will do almost anything to make a profit. Even if it means killing the magic of cinema. So they're never going to stop, even if this doesn't work. They will always try and try again.

Let them. They'll keep bleeding money, for all I care.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2015 7:52 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:

They may have killed Blockbuster. But they'll never kill off cinema! Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" 21888
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2015 7:58 pm

Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:

They may have killed Blockbuster. But they'll never kill off cinema! Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" 21888

Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" 60375523
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2015 8:11 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:

Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" 60375523

Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" Anigif_optimized-27737-1438205090-9
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2015 9:25 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
yonny616 wrote:
Mecha wrote:

Except that people go to movie theaters to get an experience they can't get elsewhere. It's the same reason why people are willing to pull out money in droves if a good film with great IMAX is out. It's the same reason why blockbuster movies are so popular. It's the same reason why people don't see that many smaller films until they get to the home market. It's all about giving an experience that you can't get anywhere else.

BTW, ticket prices are higher this year than the last couple of years, and attendance is still higher than previous couple of years, at this point. 

Price isn't the real issue; the experience is.
If people think the "experience" is worth the price of tickets and F&B's then they will go, if they don't then they won't.

@Mecha As for your Paranormal Activity link: The film will still be in theaters for roughly 10 weeks and the VOD run won't begin until it's done with it's theatrical run so what's the problem?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"   Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show" I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nolan warns Cinema Exhibitors, they "Must put on a Show"
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next