Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Palmer Luckey believes VR will kill off TV

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Palmer Luckey believes VR will kill off TV Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

Palmer Luckey believes VR will kill off TV Empty
PostSubject: Palmer Luckey believes VR will kill off TV   Palmer Luckey believes VR will kill off TV I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2015 5:21 pm

http://www.pcgamesn.com/why-oculus-founder-palmer-luckey-believes-vr-will-kill-tv

Quote :
“Traditional displays are very expensive to manufacture and ship,” he explained. “Not because the technology is high-tech - it’s all commoditised. A large TV is expensive because it’s literally just a lot of plastic and a lot of glass in a big box that has to be shipped across the world, [to] sit on a store shelf until someone buys it.”

Once VR is commoditised in the same way, said Luckey, it’ll require a fraction of the materials - a tiny display, a small amount of plastic, and minimal packaging. It’ll take at least 10 years, but he believes that VR will eventually replace the TV as a consequence.

“I think there’s almost no way that traditional displays will be around in a couple of decades, because it just won’t be feasible,” he said.

“Why in the world would you buy a 60-inch TV that, even if it were dirt cheap for that, it’s still going to cost a lot to ship it and make it from raw materials[?].
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Palmer Luckey believes VR will kill off TV R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Palmer Luckey believes VR will kill off TV   Palmer Luckey believes VR will kill off TV I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2015 5:27 pm

I don't think so.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Palmer Luckey believes VR will kill off TV   Palmer Luckey believes VR will kill off TV I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2015 5:38 pm

Mecha wrote:
I don't think so.

Neither do I.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Palmer Luckey believes VR will kill off TV   Palmer Luckey believes VR will kill off TV I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2015 5:48 pm

@RamboOnRedBull I mean, of course he is saying that. He's the founder. Palmer Luckey believes VR will kill off TV 725796345

But yeah, I don't see it replacing TVs anytime soon for MANY different reasons. Like if you want to have family or friends over to watch a movie, then wouldn't they all need VR? Like really, having one big TV for everyone to watch is much more simple than having the money to buy VR for everyone. :/
Plus I don't think the general audience will care as much as the movie buffs.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Palmer Luckey believes VR will kill off TV   Palmer Luckey believes VR will kill off TV I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2015 5:53 pm

Mecha wrote:
@RamboOnRedBull I mean, of course he is saying that. He's the founder. Palmer Luckey believes VR will kill off TV 725796345

But yeah, I don't see it replacing TVs anytime soon for MANY different reasons. Like if you want to have family or friends over to watch a movie, then wouldn't they all need VR? Like really, having one big TV for everyone to watch is much more simple than having the money to buy VR for everyone. :/
Plus I don't think the general audience will care as much as the movie buffs.

I think the biggest audiences for VR will be gamers and moviegoers. And even then, without TV, would ALL games be VR-only? Would ALL News be VR-only? Would ALL coverage in the entire world be ONLY VR? It just seems ridiculous.

Not only that, but when people use VR, they'll crave even more for a passive experience like Television again. I just don't see a world where no-one wants to just sit back and watch Television (whether it's shows or news or whatever.)
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Palmer Luckey believes VR will kill off TV   Palmer Luckey believes VR will kill off TV I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2015 5:59 pm

@RamboOnRedBull Exactly! Also a lot of the time I just like to have something on my TV while I'm doing something else. With VR, I wouldn't be able to do that, so fuck that.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Palmer Luckey believes VR will kill off TV   Palmer Luckey believes VR will kill off TV I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2015 6:15 pm

Mecha wrote:
@RamboOnRedBull Exactly! Also a lot of the time I just like to have something on my TV while I'm doing something else. With VR, I wouldn't be able to do that, so fuck that.

A lot of people do that with TV. 

VR would also ruin binge-watching, which just happens to be the biggest draw to Television, nowadays.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Palmer Luckey believes VR will kill off TV   Palmer Luckey believes VR will kill off TV I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2015 6:33 pm

@RamboOnRedBull Yeah, VR is just more limited than television if anything.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Palmer Luckey believes VR will kill off TV   Palmer Luckey believes VR will kill off TV I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Palmer Luckey believes VR will kill off TV
Page 1 of 1