Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online

Go down 
+3
Mr Canai Spy
RamboOnRedBull
Mecha
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online Empty
PostSubject: Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online   Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 12:47 pm

Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online Xbox3613

Quote :
Xbox 720 will not require an online connection to function, the recent round of VGLeaks specs were correct and Kinect 2.0 is a thing. That’s the claim of an alleged Microsoft insider working in software, who has spilled plenty of fresh information online.

The source posted everything he or she claims to know in a Pastebin post addressed to NeoGAF member Chesemeister.

Although the post does not give away his or her identity, it is heavy with statements and alleged facts from within the company relative to Xbox 720, Kinect 2.0 and other areas surrounding Microsoft’s next-gen rig.

Starting with the thorny always-online issue, the source stated, “You are not required to be connected to the internet in order to play Durango games and MS were NEVER considering doing such a thing. Now please, just read that last sentence over and over again until it sinks in. Done? Good.”

According to the source, Microsoft will announce the new Xbox in May – backing up rumours of a May 21st reveal – and that the company is working on a set of VR glasses to work in tandem with the console.

The source also stated every VGLeaks article pertaining to the console’s specs so far has been true, and added that each new Xbox 720 rig will ship with an Xbox 360 SOC for backwards compatibility. The 360 chip-set is also said to boost the console’s overall speed and performance.

On Kinect 2.0, the source stated that everything VGLeaks has said about Microsoft’s new motion bar is correct, and added that with a “quite substantial increase in the hardware over Kinect 1.0, any humanly noticeable lag should be gone.”

On the issue of the Xbox 720 controller, the source said that the design is unchanged, but that the controller now houses an improved D-Pad that looks identical to the Xbox 360′s, but will feel different. It runs on AA batteries and battery packs again, but thanks to new wireless tech will last 16% longer than previous pads.

The source also confirmed that rumours surrounding new, cheaper Xbox Mini or Xbox TV models geared toward entertainment rather than games are also true.

Apparently, the $100 ‘Xbox TV’ rig is being worked on by a different team at Microsoft, and it is expected to compete with Apple TV. There is no disc-drive, but it will play Xbox Live Arcade and ‘Games on Demand’ titles, thanks to the on board Xbox 360 SOC.

In terms of OS, the source stated that both models of Xbox 720 would run on a full version of Windows 8 – minus interface – and that it will run the new WinRT framework, which the source claims will make Microsoft’s rig the most “indie friendly” console of the next generation.

On indies, the source expects that developers will pay a $60 Xbox Live license fee, and will be able to submit their games to the store without need of a dev kit.

What do you make of the above? Does it sound plausible? If you want more Xbox 720 rumours, head over to my round-up feed here.

Source: VG247
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online Empty
PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online   Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 1:20 pm

Quote :
It runs on AA batteries and battery packs again

Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online Facepalm_9a08b9_59080
Back to top Go down
Mr Canai Spy
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Mr Canai Spy

Stature : 47
Weymouth
Playing : halo 5, rise of the tomb raider

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online   Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 2:36 pm

BEYONDinFamous wrote:
Quote :

Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online Facepalm_9a08b9_59080

battery packs are better mine doesn't charge anymore after years of use i replaced it with a new one £5, better than buying a new £40 controller
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online   Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 3:44 pm

- VR Glasses
- Kinect 2.0

Yes, Microsoft. Let the Nintendo gimmicks flow through you.
Back to top Go down
CernaMLD
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader

Stature : 21

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online   Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Mr Canai Spy wrote:
BEYONDinFamous wrote:
Quote :

battery packs are better mine doesn't charge anymore after years of use i replaced it with a new one £5, better than buying a new £40 controller

battery packs are easily (well not as easily) replaceable in PS3 controllers as well. All hope isn't lost if they stop charging.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online   Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 2:54 pm

If it doesn't have always online i will give it the benefit of the doubt and see what it can offer, but i'm still siding with Sony for now.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online   Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 9:01 pm

+Backwards compatibility for 360 games.
+Not always online
-Kinect 2.0
-Windows 8
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online   Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 1:49 am

It better have backwards compatibility. I would be surprised if even half the xbox's currently sold work 10 years from now.

I want them to have original xbox games on games on demand too the whole library not like 16 fucking games. There were a lot of xbox games I never got to play because I was young that look good but too much of a pain to track down or too expensive to purchase now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online   Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Xbox 720 has Windows 8, Kinect 2.0, backwards compatibility, but NOT always-online
Page 1 of 1