Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer

Go down 
+4
Stoney
Mecha
Orion
The Enkindler
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer Empty
PostSubject: 'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer   'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 4:29 pm

'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer Tumblr_m8an39iDXD1r1h81io1_500

Quote :
A narrative writer for Microsoft Studios has said that "women are the new core" and that creating more diverse stories, including more female characters and ethnicities, will make for better games.

Speaking as part of a presentation at GDC 2013 (written up by GamesIndustry and Polygon), Tom Abernathy--who has worked on Halo: Reach, The Saboteur, and Destroy All Humans--said the games industry hasn't kept up with today's social culture and that the market for video games is changing at a pace that developers and publishers aren't keeping up with.

"Our audience is leaving us behind," Abernathy said. "The world is changing, it has already changed, and we have not been doing a very good job of keeping up with it."

Abernathy pointed to various studies that show the diverse makeup of modern gamers, including research by the Entertainment Software Association and casual game developer PopCap which states that adult women now make up 30 per cent of US gamers.

"Women are not a small special market on the fringe of the core," Abernathy said. "Women are the new core."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/women-are-the-new-core-says-microsoft-narrative-designer-6406037?'
Back to top Go down
The Enkindler
Endgame Boss
Endgame Boss

Stature : 86
Greece
Playing : Plenty of games, and I can't count them.

PostSubject: Re: 'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer   'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 4:38 pm

Tom Abernathy confirmed for White Knight. Razz
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/azazel166
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: 'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer   'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 4:38 pm

Do girls even play video games?
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: 'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer   'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 4:52 pm

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: 'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer   'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 5:03 pm

What does he mean with this. Will we be seeing more strong independent womenz who don't need no man in xbox games or will the market now mainly consist of farm games and angry birds.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: 'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer   'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 5:07 pm

have fun with your cooking games and diet apps, microfaggets.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: 'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer   'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 5:18 pm

Zero chance of buying a NextXbox, not just from this statement, but the rumours I keep reading are bloody awful. They can fuck right off.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: 'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer   'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 5:28 pm

Really Microsoft???? 'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer 1443829230
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: 'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer   'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 5:42 pm

The Xbox 720 is sounding more and more like a casual console with money stealing practices.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: 'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer   'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 6:49 pm

But that's the thing, if Microsoft is out to make a casual console then make it an actual casual console. But no, everything we have heard about the new Xbox doesn't sound casual friendly at all. Casual gamers just want to put the disc in and play. Not go through all this internet hooking up, game installation, anti-used games bullshit.

I mean, at least Nintendo is playing it safe and focus on both the casuals and core gamers. Microsoft on the other hand, seems to be making a more complicated and expensive machine targeted for the more mainstream audience, which is an automated fail. If the rumors are true anyway.

What's worse is you already got reports saying that the PS4 is easier to develop for than the new Xbox.
Back to top Go down
Azazel
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Azazel

'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer 5DfcoiC
Stature : 7
Equestria

PostSubject: Re: 'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer   'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 8:06 pm

I know that they are trying to reach out, but 30% is not exactly a majority demographic here. Now I am not saying that they can't make games for female gamers, but don't divert everything to them, also I get a strong feeling that they will somehow screw it up by filling it with some politically correct bullshit (I could be wrong, but I doubt anyone here can blame me for being...cautious).
Back to top Go down
Mr Canai Spy
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Mr Canai Spy

Stature : 47
Weymouth
Playing : halo 5, rise of the tomb raider

PostSubject: Re: 'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer   'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 4:08 am

Well this is a very sexist thread, i have a few girl friends on my xbox friends list and know a few women with ps3s who all play games like cod, gears, street fighter ect
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: 'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer   'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 8:02 am

'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer 71210
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: 'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer   'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 8:46 am

U dick, Im in college and I started laughing out really loudly! Oh my fucking for that's amazing!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer   'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

'Women are the new core,' says Microsoft narrative designer
Page 1 of 1