Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Best Albums Of 2010

Go down 
+8
NoelX2
Dam_Noir
UltraZFury
Archduke
Based Sonji
TheJubJub5721
Jack the Spectre
Orc
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 11:04 pm

Lykos wrote:
I can't believe that people are even mentioning Kanye west. That kind of music is horribly dull to me. It just seems so shallow.
Well, this album is a reflection on Kanye's previous attitude and career. It's quite good. Besides, dullness is in all genres, Avenged Sevenfold for example. Razz
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 5:52 am

TRF wrote:
Lykos wrote:
I can't believe that people are even mentioning Kanye west. That kind of music is horribly dull to me. It just seems so shallow.
Well, this album is a reflection on Kanye's previous attitude and career. It's quite good. Besides, dullness is in all genres, Avenged Sevenfold for example. Razz

Funny ... Razz

Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 6:08 pm

Lykos wrote:

Funny ... Razz

Also true.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 8:16 am

TRF wrote:
Lykos wrote:

Funny ... Razz

Also true.

Only to those with inferior music taste :face:
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 11:37 am

Lykos wrote:
TRF wrote:
Lykos wrote:

Funny ... Razz

Also true.

Only to those with inferior music taste :face:
Hey, man, if that's what you think, that's great. eye roll
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 12:29 pm

LMFAO. If you actually enjoy Avenged Sevenfold for anything more than their guitarist I question your music taste.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 12:38 pm

Hypnotoad wrote:
LMFAO. If you actually enjoy Avenged Sevenfold for anything more than their guitarist I question your music taste.
This. Synyster Gates is a good guitarist but their music is so boring.
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

LittleBigP

PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 12:40 pm

TRF wrote:
Hypnotoad wrote:

Buckethead > Synyster Gates

Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 1:56 pm

Hypnotoad wrote:
TRF wrote:
Hypnotoad wrote:

Buckethead > Synyster Gates

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

Stature : 4

PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 2:12 pm

You shouldn't even enjoy A7X for their guitarist. I'm sorry, but they're all really average musicians playing bad music. I can name so many guitarists that are better off the top of my head.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 5:55 am

Ihsahn wrote:
You shouldn't even enjoy A7X for their guitarist. I'm sorry, but they're all really average musicians playing bad music. I can name so many guitarists that are better off the top of my head.

Right.... because if a band hasn't got one of the top ten guitarists of all time then you can't enjoy them.

-.-

In actual fact, Avenged Sevenfold have pretty decent level of talent. Maybe the solos aren't all that technical with mainly sweep picking but the band are insanely diverse.

Check this out, my favourite song of all time:

Beautiful lead guitar. Brian may not be the best guitarist ever and is nowhere near but the fact is, many better guitarists are incapable of writing music with feeling. 4:25 onwards, the lead in that is astounding!

And you may not like the vocals but Matt is perfectly capable, check this out:
the chorus vocals!

Fuckin hell, shivers down my spine!!

Seriously, they may not be your type of music coz it's cool to hate Avenged I love you

But they are a fantastic band.

@TRF

trf wrote:

I like their music more than I like the talent of synyster gates.
Because ... Oh right...he wrote the music.

What would make the music less boring? If it was heavier?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-zlh-xYA_k

If it was more upbeat?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFvsmRjA8Ck (excuse the cheesy music video lol)

If it was more happy and mainstream?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VUrskFjfhc

If it was more melancholic?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuAC8AI7yIM

If it was weirder?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VurhzANQ_B0

If it was more technical and guitar focused?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GCCKt_Z1q8

If it was more metalcoreish?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvIqPdKM8sg

If it was longer and more epic?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYMLoz2PrJc
or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuT2mQaTno0

I'm sorry but I don't understand how you can label A7X boring when most of their songs are of a completely different music style.

Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 1:20 pm

Because they ARE boring. They wouldn't piss me off so much if their fanbase wasn't a bunch of insufferable children who think entry level metal like A7X is the second coming of Jesus Christ.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 2:50 pm

The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 93185eae-48cc-4d13-8882-dad190d7d876
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 3:57 pm

The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 KeCrJ
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

LittleBigP

PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 4:19 pm

Cool to hate Avenged? Seriously?

Avenged Sevenfold is a shitty band. We hate Synyster because he's trash The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 725796345

''Not many better guitarists can generate the same amount of feeling...''

Buckethead, Page, Petrucci. All better than Synyster and generate x32544252345 more feeling than him.

EDIT: Dear God is your favorite song of all time? My God....
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 4:36 pm

Pretty true. I mean they're not the WORST band, but you're kidding yourself when you think there aren't many guitarists who can't write a song with passion. I honestly get the opposite from A7X. It feels flat and soulless to me. Maybe it's just the production.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 5:11 pm

Hypno. A7X hate is everywhere. Hating A7X is like hating justin bieber ....except without a good reason. The ONLY thing people can say about a7x in a critical way is that there are better guitarists. But who gives a single fuck? You may as well say that about 99% of bands.
There are always gonna be better guitarists. Buckethead, Jimmy Page, John Petrucci are yes better than syn technically. Keeping in mind that Synyster gates is inspired by Page and Petrucci, I'd be a bit surprised if he was better than them.
lol
But guess what. You listen to RAP. How good are the rap guitarists? when there are any at all...
LMAO
self ownage right there.

Dear God = favourite song. Why? So much to it. Starts of soft with a nice western/country vibe. Nice flowing vocal line then the powerful chorus with a catchy melody. Then my favourite part, the guitar solo. The song's packed with beautiful guitar licks. It's a perfect song to me.

@ Insahn I never said there aren't many guitarists who can't write a song with passion. I merely said that being a better guitarist does not make you a better songwriter or a more soulful songwriter.
Everyone gets touched by different kinds of music. To me A7X are one of just 3 bands that evoke deep emotions from me. Them, Insomnium and In Flames. :)
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 5:41 pm

A better guitarist encompasses songwriting and technicality. I couldn't give two shits about technicality. I much prefer guitarists who can write good riffs and solos. That's why this band is terrible:

No soul, no emotion. Nothing but fret masturbation.

The reason people hate A7X is their fanbase and how they've become popular without good reason. Their music is flat and boring and their fanbase is full of, again, insufferable children. This goes for any entry level metal band.

I like Insomnium and all, but you mentioned in the Rate The Song Above You thread that Cloudkicker is repetitive. But you don't think Insomnium is? They're a good band, but their music never changes. Their leads always sound the same. Which brings me to the point in the other thread where I called you out on saying you don't like vocalists who growl into the mic even though that's exactly what Insomnium and In Flames do. You never responded to it either so I'm just going to assume you forgot to read my response.

You either can't form a real opinion or I'm misunderstanding something. 'cause the way I read it is just glaring contradictions.

Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 7:19 pm

Ihsahn wrote:
A better guitarist encompasses songwriting and technicality. I couldn't give two shits about technicality. I much prefer guitarists who can write good riffs and solos. That's why this band is terrible:

No soul, no emotion. Nothing but fret masturbation.

The reason people hate A7X is their fanbase and how they've become popular without good reason. Their music is flat and boring and their fanbase is full of, again, insufferable children. This goes for any entry level metal band.

I like Insomnium and all, but you mentioned in the Rate The Song Above You thread that Cloudkicker is repetitive. But you don't think Insomnium is? They're a good band, but their music never changes. Their leads always sound the same. Which brings me to the point in the other thread where I called you out on saying you don't like vocalists who growl into the mic even though that's exactly what Insomnium and In Flames do. You never responded to it either so I'm just going to assume you forgot to read my response.

You either can't form a real opinion or I'm misunderstanding something. 'cause the way I read it is just glaring contradictions.

Dang that song you posted makes me sick it's so bad. lol I totally agree with you there. That's why I only like a couple of non-melodic death metal bands. Eg: Devil Driver and Lamb of God but not all their songs.

I understand hate for the fanbase. I don't like A7X fans myself despite being one. I always feel like they support them for the wrong reasons. Most A7X fans don't appear to give two shits about the music. It's all about "awmygawdehzsohawt" "synxsynxftwxluvxhimx"
that sort of shit.

What I must say though is that you are entirely wrong about their music being "flat" and "boring". I'm afraid you're going to need to give me a reason otherwise I just do not understand you. Flat? In what way is it "flat"? The musical term flat? No it's all in key last I checked unless otherwise intentional. Or do you mean in terms of how packed each song is? Because one of the reasons I love them is because of the over-the-top amounts of instruments they put in their music. Take 'Dear God' as an example, acoustic guitar chords, acoustic guitar melody, electric guitar riffs, electric guitar solo, steel pedal guitar.
That's pretty jam packed. Then you've got A Little Piece of Heaven with an entire orchestra. Most their music also has guitar harmonies as well as vocal harmonies.

Boring? Well to each his own I guess but A7X songs always keep me interested. To this day (after listening to A7X for over 3 years) I must say I have only ever skipped an avenged sevenfold song as many times as I can count on my fingers. Literally, they are like a religion to me because their songs are ever changing. I listen to them nearly every single day and always all the way through their songs because their songs don't have a basic structure, they go off on strange tangents and I love it! Also their music hits all of the right notes. They can be experimental but sometimes when I listen to a melody, there are notes I want it to go to and notes I want it to harmonise. A7X always get the right ones to me The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 2505020059 Sometimes I feel like A7X music is written just for me lol

Insomnium repetitive? I will agree they are not very diverse. But they aren't repetitive as such, no. I got their discography all at once and listened to it all on shuffle and I noticed distinct differences between the vibes of their albums and songs. But yeah I do agree they don't leave their comfort zone that much but they haven't needed to yet. I find all their music beautiul and each tells a different story :)
Also I didn't say Cloudkicker were repetitive, I said the song itself didn't evolve much.

I don't remember that post about growling in the mic. And it's true. I do not like artists growling into a mic as such, UNLESS it is done with beautiful backing music to compensate. Because then it can sometimes contribute to the power and the emotion of the song.

Sorry I wrote so much, I have a lot of feelings :')
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 8:27 pm

Quote :
What I must say though is that you are entirely wrong about their music being "flat" and "boring". I'm afraid you're going to need to give me a reason otherwise I just do not understand you. Flat? In what way is it "flat"? The musical term flat? No it's all in key last I checked unless otherwise intentional. Or do you mean in terms of how packed each song is? Because one of the reasons I love them is because of the over-the-top amounts of instruments they put in their music. Take 'Dear God' as an example, acoustic guitar chords, acoustic guitar melody, electric guitar riffs, electric guitar solo, steel pedal guitar.
That's pretty jam packed. Then you've got A Little Piece of Heaven with an entire orchestra. Most their music also has guitar harmonies as well as vocal harmonies.
It's sonically flat. Sterile and flat. Compare new Atheist:

to something likeeee:

Which one sounds more alive? Which one sounds like there's passion coming from the music? Disregard whether you like it, but rather listen to how the music is produced.

If you guessed Protest the Hero being more alive and passionate then you guessed right. New Atheist has terrible production: the drums and guitars are weak, flat and fragile. The only thing that sounds remotely good is the vocals, but as a whole the music sounds artificial. Too much work in the studio. It lacks rawness. This is what I get from A7X. The song you mentioned with that "really good solo" is buried beneath all the music. It's too quiet and the build up itself wasn't very epic or inviting. I'm all for a good solo, but I just can't grasp the emotion out of it.

It's a technical thing. You have to have a trained ear for it so I'm not insulting you or saying your ears are fucked if you can't hear what I'm talking about.

Quote :
Boring? Well to each his own I guess but A7X songs always keep me interested. To this day (after listening to A7X for over 3 years) I must say I have only ever skipped an avenged sevenfold song as many times as I can count on my fingers. Literally, they are like a religion to me because their songs are ever changing. I listen to them nearly every single day and always all the way through their songs because their songs don't have a basic structure, they go off on strange tangents and I love it! Also their music hits all of the right notes. They can be experimental but sometimes when I listen to a melody, there are notes I want it to go to and notes I want it to harmonise. A7X always get the right ones to me The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 2505020059 Sometimes I feel like A7X music is written just for me lol
See above. If they sound good live then great, but what I'm hearing from their studio work doesn't sound very lifelike. It just feels processed. Their drums are always the worst offender, but guitar is second. I'll admit they have some variety in their tunes, but that's it really.

Quote :
Insomnium repetitive? I will agree they are not very diverse. But they aren't repetitive as such, no. I got their discography all at once and listened to it all on shuffle and I noticed distinct differences between the vibes of their albums and songs. But yeah I do agree they don't leave their comfort zone that much but they haven't needed to yet. I find all their music beautiul and each tells a different story :)
Also I didn't say Cloudkicker were repetitive, I said the song itself didn't evolve much.
You don't think they're repetitive? That was one of the biggest criticisms their latest album received. It was just more Insomnium. Their leads are very similar in every song and they don't ever take chances. I mean they're good don't get me wrong, but I can't see how you think their music isn't similar. In the midst of listening to their stuff I can't find much variation in what they do.

Also you did say Cloudkicker was repetitive. "3:30ish was really cool but I felt that the majority of the song was too repetitive and seemed undeveloped."

To each his own, but much like rap, I don't think you understand that it's more about the rhythm. That Cloudkicker CD is very riff oriented so if riffs are repetitive then so be it. I'll agree it doesn't evolve much, but to say its underdeveloped is pretty silly. It progresses pretty typically. The last 2 minutes or so is a calm before the storm kind of build up before it climaxes then goes back to a riff that was developed in the song already.

Quote :
I don't remember that post about growling in the mic. And it's true. I do not like artists growling into a mic as such, UNLESS it is done with beautiful backing music to compensate. Because then it can sometimes contribute to the power and the emotion of the song.
Well you did make it.

This is a lot of music like that. There are just sections where it varies between aggressive death metal and melodic sections. It's my favorite kind of music, too, though I still enjoy a fair share of that regular ol' in your face death metal here and there. Or metalcore or whatever.

Quote :
That's a good thing. It means you stand behind what you say.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 10:34 pm

My problem with A7X, as Ihsahn said, is that it feels flat and soulless. You can write songs passionately, or you can write songs and make them sound like you wrote them passionately. A7X does the latter.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 12:48 am

A7X just sucks in general.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Ihsahn wrote:
Quote :
It's sonically flat. Sterile and flat. Compare new Atheist:

to something likeeee:

Which one sounds more alive? Which one sounds like there's passion coming from the music? Disregard whether you like it, but rather listen to how the music is produced.

If you guessed Protest the Hero being more alive and passionate then you guessed right. New Atheist has terrible production: the drums and guitars are weak, flat and fragile. The only thing that sounds remotely good is the vocals, but as a whole the music sounds artificial. Too much work in the studio. It lacks rawness. This is what I get from A7X. The song you mentioned with that "really good solo" is buried beneath all the music. It's too quiet and the build up itself wasn't very epic or inviting. I'm all for a good solo, but I just can't grasp the emotion out of it.

It's a technical thing. You have to have a trained ear for it so I'm not insulting you or saying your ears are fucked if you can't hear what I'm talking about.

Quote :
See above. If they sound good live then great, but what I'm hearing from their studio work doesn't sound very lifelike. It just feels processed. Their drums are always the worst offender, but guitar is second. I'll admit they have some variety in their tunes, but that's it really.

Quote :
You don't think they're repetitive? That was one of the biggest criticisms their latest album received. It was just more Insomnium. Their leads are very similar in every song and they don't ever take chances. I mean they're good don't get me wrong, but I can't see how you think their music isn't similar. In the midst of listening to their stuff I can't find much variation in what they do.

Also you did say Cloudkicker was repetitive. "3:30ish was really cool but I felt that the majority of the song was too repetitive and seemed undeveloped."

To each his own, but much like rap, I don't think you understand that it's more about the rhythm. That Cloudkicker CD is very riff oriented so if riffs are repetitive then so be it. I'll agree it doesn't evolve much, but to say its underdeveloped is pretty silly. It progresses pretty typically. The last 2 minutes or so is a calm before the storm kind of build up before it climaxes then goes back to a riff that was developed in the song already.

Quote :
Well you did make it.

This is a lot of music like that. There are just sections where it varies between aggressive death metal and melodic sections. It's my favorite kind of music, too, though I still enjoy a fair share of that regular ol' in your face death metal here and there. Or metalcore or whatever.

Quote :
That's a good thing. It means you stand behind what you say.

Sorry but A7X is ANYTHING but flat. You think posting two different songs will make your point. In actual fact A7X is more like Protest the Hero than Atheist so your point just falls short. You want to make a point, then you have to pull Avenged Sevenfold's music to pieces and criticise each aspect. You can't just go on a tangent and tell me some progressive band is better than death metal when A7X is neither.

My ear for music has been complimented by my old music teachers, my piano teacher and my current guitar teacher. In fact that is one of my bigger strengths musically. So yeah, nice try but I'm not musically ignorant.
All you are saying is that you personally cannot find the appeal. Saying that you found the guitar solo too quiet, etc. But opinions like that just aren't any good in a debate because I can just say that the guitar solo is a perfect volume, the way it is you can appreciate the backing, you can feel the bass sound pumping out now and again but focus mainly on the lead guitar. Simple as. Also, they are not trying to impress with this solo. They are writing something that is musically pleasant and easy listening. Hence the reason why it's not as fast or experimental as their other tunes. (I am assuming you were talking about Dear God?)

Well about finding A7X's music not lifelike, well it sounds tight.... what more do you need? It is music. It has to be pleasing to listen to, nothing else. Sorry there are no mistakes like you'll find in Niel Young's music.

Well you be the judge, what about their live music?

Personally I think it sounds nearly the same as the studio version except without a third backing guitar during harmonies.
You're being very picky here. Anyone can claim that any song doesn't sound lifelike. Like I could argue that the Protest The Hero song, you only like because it's experimental and weird but that is the style! It's progressive. It's meant to break typical music barriers and conventions. I personally do not find that style enjoyable to listen to because it's too flaky and unnecessarily extravagent. But I can't criticise because THAT IS THE STYLE they are aiming for.

Back to Insomnium.
No I would not class their music as repetitive as such, it depends how you want to use that term. They just aren't diverse. No two of their songs sound the same melody wise or at all really. It is just that their music is all of a similar style. It isn't like Disturbed where sometimes their songs have the same vocals rhythm along with a similar riff to another song. Or in the case of Papa Roach where I Almost Told you That I Loved You's chorus sounds like Getting Away With Murder's. That is what I would class as repetition, but if you call a style that doesn't change much, repetition, well that's up to you. But in Insomnium's defense, they have never repeated themselves. They're still bringing out fresh ideas. And to be fair, even great composers like Vivaldi for example, were criticised for having repeated themselves. The fact is, Insomnium have forged their own style, taking influences from the likes of Opeth, In Flames and such. It's their choice whether they want to carry on using it. And if they still have new ideas for songwriting in that style, why the hell not? I would be disappointed tbh if they took a different musical direction like In Flames and Children of Bodom.

Is cloudkicker the name of the song? Because I said the SONG was repetitive not the band.
Hey that rating thing, it was just my opinion. And you can defend any song with that. The whole "calm before the storm" thing, what about that Atheist tune you posted? You could defend it in a similar way. The fact is, that cloudkicker song just wasn't particularly interesting to me. It had some nice ideas but it didn't really go anywhere. Compare to an In Flames instrumental like Dialogue with the Stars and it just can't compete imo.

Yeah well, there are only several artists that I like, which involve screaming/growls. I'm very picky with that style. Some bands that play that melodeath style, their songs just aren't interesting to me. Surprisingly Amon Amarth are a bit like that to me. Don't get me wrong, they're a great band but I never feel much emotion from their music.

Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 2:26 pm

Actually, Neil Young's songs DO have no mistakes, unless you don't like his voice. Other than that, they're well-written, well-played, and not flat at all.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 6:23 pm

Quote :
Sorry but A7X is ANYTHING but flat. You think posting two different songs will make your point. In actual fact A7X is more like Protest the Hero than Atheist so your point just falls short. You want to make a point, then you have to pull Avenged Sevenfold's music to pieces and criticise each aspect. You can't just go on a tangent and tell me some progressive band is better than death metal when A7X is neither.
I just... what?

Can you not read? I wasn't comparing the actual music but the sound. I guess I was right when I said you obviously can't hear it. I'm not even going to bother delving any further into this point if you're just going to straw man my argument.

Quote :
My ear for music has been complimented by my old music teachers, my piano teacher and my current guitar teacher. In fact that is one of my bigger strengths musically. So yeah, nice try but I'm not musically ignorant.
And my ear for music has been complimented by years of just sitting down and listening to it. What's your point? If you can't hear how weak A7X's music sounds sonically (the production) then your ear isn't very good. I've heard one thing off their new album and while it is an improvement, the drums are still lifeless.

On a personal level, though, the vocals sound pretty fucking hollow, too. He sings so... half-assed. Just a personal issue, though.

Quote :
All you are saying is that you personally cannot find the appeal. Saying that you found the guitar solo too quiet, etc. But opinions like that just aren't any good in a debate because I can just say that the guitar solo is a perfect volume, the way it is you can appreciate the backing, you can feel the bass sound pumping out now and again but focus mainly on the lead guitar. Simple as. Also, they are not trying to impress with this solo. They are writing something that is musically pleasant and easy listening. Hence the reason why it's not as fast or experimental as their other tunes. (I am assuming you were talking about Dear God?)
HOREY SHET! We've got ourselves a breakthrough in science! Stop all relief effort in Japan and cancel our plans to enter Libya because Lykos has just discovered something that will impact everyone's lives significantly!

Opinions aren't facts.

Excuse me while I clean my brains up off the wall because you just blew my mind.
Quote :
Well about finding A7X's music not lifelike, well it sounds tight.... what more do you need? It is music. It has to be pleasing to listen to, nothing else. Sorry there are no mistakes like you'll find in Niel Young's music.
wat

Quote :
Well you be the judge, what about their live music?

Personally I think it sounds nearly the same as the studio version except without a third backing guitar during harmonies.
Not my point. I'm not looking for accuracies. I also can't judge how good a live show sounds through a video. Part of the live experience is, well, being there. Thus why I'm not judging them on their live performances.

Quote :
You're being very picky here. Anyone can claim that any song doesn't sound lifelike. Like I could argue that the Protest The Hero song, you only like because it's experimental and weird but that is the style! It's progressive. It's meant to break typical music barriers and conventions. I personally do not find that style enjoyable to listen to because it's too flaky and unnecessarily extravagent. But I can't criticise because THAT IS THE STYLE they are aiming for.
Once more, not my point. I would highly suggest re-reading what I originally wrote because you are clearly misunderstanding.

Quote :
Back to Insomnium.
No I would not class their music as repetitive as such, it depends how you want to use that term. They just aren't diverse. No two of their songs sound the same melody wise or at all really. It is just that their music is all of a similar style. It isn't like Disturbed where sometimes their songs have the same vocals rhythm along with a similar riff to another song.

That kinda is repetitive to me. Disturbed is one of the worst offenders for sure. Always the same mid tempo shit. You don't need to be diverse to be good. To use an earlier example listen to PTH's discography. No song sounds the same, yet they all use the same style. This is not the case for Insomnium. Their leads are always that sorrowful, deeply melodic stuff.
Quote :
Or in the case of Papa Roach where I Almost Told you That I Loved You's chorus sounds like Getting Away With Murder's.
This is kinda what I'm getting at. Insomnium's music sounds SO similar. See above.

Quote :
That is what I would class as repetition, but if you call a style that doesn't change much, repetition, well that's up to you. But in Insomnium's defense, they have never repeated themselves. They're still bringing out fresh ideas.

I don't think I'd call it fresh ideas. I'd just call it sticking to their style a little too much, but executing it well enough to meet their own self-made standards.

Quote :
And to be fair, even great composers like Vivaldi for example, were criticised for having repeated themselves. The fact is, Insomnium have forged their own style, taking influences from the likes of Opeth, In Flames and such. It's their choice whether they want to carry on using it. And if they still have new ideas for songwriting in that style, why the hell not? I would be disappointed tbh if they took a different musical direction like In Flames and Children of Bodom.
To be honest, even though I don't like CoB, they haven't really changed much. Its just the quality of what they write is infinitely inferior to their earlier works. They've stayed much the same, to be honest. Though they have ditched the keyboards a bit.

Quote :
Is cloudkicker the name of the song? Because I said the SONG was repetitive not the band.
No, Cloudkicker is the band (more specifically - one man project who does it as a hobby and not a career).

Quote :
Hey that rating thing, it was just my opinion. And you can defend any song with that. The whole "calm before the storm" thing, what about that Atheist tune you posted? You could defend it in a similar way. The fact is, that cloudkicker song just wasn't particularly interesting to me. It had some nice ideas but it didn't really go anywhere. Compare to an In Flames instrumental like Dialogue with the Stars and it just can't compete imo.
I don't care that you didn't like the song, but to say it was underdeveloped or repetitive seems silly. Not interesting? Fair enough that's cool. But to say it's repetitive or underdeveloped just doesn't make sense.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Best Albums Of 2010   The Best Albums Of 2010 - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Best Albums Of 2010
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next