Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013?

Go down 
+5
The_Biotic_God
Mikenuge
Bluenose
yonny616
Mecha
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013? R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013? Empty
PostSubject: PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013?   PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 6:33 pm

PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013? Ps410

Quote :
The report claims the Orbis codename is Latin for circle or ring. Combine that with the Latin meaning of Vita, it could mean circle of life. Rumored sketches of certain features rumored to be in the next PlayStation, titled “Illustrations & Sketches for new PlayStation Orbis features” were posted earlier by design firm Coque Design, but have since been removed, according to Kotaku.

Anyways, the Kotaku story carries the URL orbis.scedevnet.com. While it doesn’t point towards any next-gen PlayStation portions of the site, it does link to the site regardless, meaning there’s at least a tiny bit of weight to it at least.

It also suggests that Sony is set to not feature PS3 backwards compatibility for the system right out from the box, compared to when PS2 BC was dropped from PS3 around 2009 when Slim launched.

Its hardware specs will consist of an AMD x64 CPU and AMD Southern Islands GPU, with the ability to show games at a resolution of 4096×2160. This backs up a previous Forbes report. It’ll also be able to display 3D games at 1080p. The PS3 is only able to do it at 720p.

Revised dev kits were sent out earlier this month around GDC, with finalised units due by the end of this year.

Orbis will also have an anti-used games measure in the same way the next Xbox is supposed to, with Kotaku suggesting games will be made available in two ways: Blu-ray or download. The Blu-ray title will then be locked to the PSN tied to the game you played it on. A title will also be able to be downloaded onto the HDD from the BR and be available as a download if you wish to grab it in the future.

Those who pick up Orbis titles second-hand will likely be restricted in some form to a trial or limited content, with the user having to pay a fee for an unlock for the game.

It was rumoured last year that unnamed first-party studios had already gotten its hands on development kits for the system, with an announcement for the system due at E3 this June. Sony debunked the latter rumour at CES in January.

It’s also rumoured the next PlayStation wouldn’t carry the Cell processor that powers PS3.

Source: VG247
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013? PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013?   PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 8:17 pm

PS4 is called PlayStation Orbis? Also no PS3 BC? PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013? 1443829230
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013?   PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 8:33 pm

I will be seriously disappointed if there is no BC.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Mikenuge
Guard
Guard
Mikenuge

Stature : 39
UK
Playing : With my small penis

PostSubject: Re: PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013?   PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 8:49 pm

lets hope it can actually grill this time

ive had enough of this false advertisement from sony
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013?   PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 12:05 am

Do the morons and Sony/MS realize that eventually there will be nothing but used versions of older titles?

Also I did not like a single rumor on that article.....AMD cards no thanks. The fact that they are dropping the Cell processor pretty much makes it a worthless investment.

And come on no PS3 BC? I could careless about PS1/PS2 BC now.....but PS3 BC is a must for at least the 1st gen PS4 models..

After hearing some of the shit rumors about the next xbox I was hoping Sony would step up their game.
Back to top Go down
Mikenuge
Guard
Guard
Mikenuge

UK
Playing : With my small penis

PostSubject: Re: PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013?   PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 12:33 am

yonny616 wrote:
PS4 is called PlayStation Orbis? Also no PS3 BC? PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013? 1443829230

its a code name just like kinect was project natal and NGP (next generation portable) is now the PS Vita

The_Biotic_God wrote:
And come on no PS3 BC? I could careless about PS1/PS2 BC now.....but PS3 BC is a must for at least the 1st gen PS4 models...

companies realize they can now make money off of old PS2 games, stick HD on the box and sell them again for profit you can see why they would do it... although its a fucking disgrace know wonder they would scrap such a feature

look at God of war collection for example... you can get them for like £3 quid each on PS2 but the ps3 version is £20 PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013? 21888

Last edited by Mikenuge on Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:34 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
igame

in front of computer
Playing : comedy

PostSubject: Re: PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013?   PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 12:33 am

I wouldn't mind the AMD cpu and video card, specially if the cpu ends up being an APU, but then that would make it too much like a computer, but whatever the exclusives is what matters to me, multiplats are pretty much gonna go to my PC.

Dropping the Cell would be kinda dumb, unless the AMD processor implemented some of the architecture that made the Cell so unique.

I really don't mind it not being BC, i have a ps3 already, why would i spend money on a ps4 to play ps3 games? but that's just me.

Well least it's gonna actually be 1080p this time, i don't like the whole restricting people from playing used games thing tho, sounds like something people would stay away from and not even want to buy.
Back to top Go down
Mr Canai Spy
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Mr Canai Spy

Stature : 47
Weymouth
Playing : halo 5, rise of the tomb raider

PostSubject: Re: PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013?   PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 1:08 am

1080p 3D makes all the difference, trust me
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013?   PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 7:28 am

Oh, hey look speculation.
Back to top Go down
Blixtstorm
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
Blixtstorm

Stature : 18
Sweden
Playing : TDU2 (PC) / Minecraft (Tekkit modpack)

PostSubject: Re: PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013?   PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 10:03 am

igame wrote:
I wouldn't mind the AMD cpu and video card, specially if the cpu ends up being an APU, but then that would make it too much like a computer, but whatever the exclusives is what matters to me, multiplats are pretty much gonna go to my PC.

Dropping the Cell would be kinda dumb, unless the AMD processor implemented some of the architecture that made the Cell so unique.

I really don't mind it not being BC, i have a ps3 already, why would i spend money on a ps4 to play ps3 games? but that's just me.

Well least it's gonna actually be 1080p this time, i don't like the whole restricting people from playing used games thing tho, sounds like something people would stay away from and not even want to buy.

Well.. The cell architecture wasn't a powerhouse (compared to current CPU's) one so emulating the power of it from a quad core processor is no problem. "BC" could still be a possibility.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013?   PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PS4 codenamed Orbis, coming in holiday 2013?
Page 1 of 1