Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!)

Go down 
+4
Pickles1337
The_Biotic_God
Stoney
Jack the Spectre
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!) XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!) Empty
PostSubject: Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!)   Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!) I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2011 12:52 am

I know I'm a little late to this considering the game is only a few months short of being a year old, but I just recently played it and loved it. What do you guys think of the ending? Here's my interpretation:

My interpretation is that Alan sacrificed himself to save Alice. He knew he had to because Thomas Zane tried to rewrite his love's death (forgot her name) while offering up no sacrifice of his own, so the darkness possessed her body. So Alan sacrificed himself, and Zane created Mr. Scratch to act as Alan's replacement in the real world. Meanwhile, Alan is possessed by darkness, and his final line, "It's not a lake, it's an ocean", is an attempt to rewrite the manuscript and spread darkness farther out to the world (being that an ocean is much larger than a lake and affects more people). This was all done so Alice would survive.

However, this doesn't explain:
-how Zane somehow manifested in Alan's dreams and at the end
-how and why Zane created Mr. Scratch

However, perhaps the ending isn't supposed to make perfect sense, which would give relevance to the opening quote by Stephen King: "Nightmares exist outside of logic, and there's little fun to be had in explanations; they're antithetical to the poetry of fear. In a horror story, the victim keeps asking 'Why?', but there can be no explanation, and there shouldn't be one. The unanswered mystery is what stays with us the longest, and is what we'll remember in the end."

It could be that the beginning of the game explains the ending, and that we shouldn't look into it because it's the mystery that keeps the story fresh in our minds.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!)   Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!) I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2011 5:48 am

I couldn't wrap my head around it. That's why I hoping for an Alan Wake 2 so they can explain it! lol. Loved the game and just don't understand how it was universally "panned". Was a solid 9/10 in my book.

Supposedly the music helps explains certain parts of the game and this one I'm about to post "foreshadows the ending" according to a Youtube comment.

And it's a fuking badass song on top of that! Oh the memories on Tor and Odin's farm killing the darkness, EPIC! XD

Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!) XidKdMN
New York

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!)   Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!) I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2011 10:13 am

The rock stage sequence was pretty kick-ass.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!)   Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 7:18 pm

I know the real meaning to Alan Wake's ending.

Everyone was on acid. Alan took 5 hits of it. And then later he smoked some salvia. Turns out he was never a writer, and there is no Bright Falls. He lives in Galveston, near the Gulf of Mexico. Which explains why the Lake was black.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!)   Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 14, 2011 7:26 pm

That's . . . genius . . .
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Stature : 3

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!)   Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!) I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 8:36 pm

I think Alan's final line in the game meant that...okay maybe you got something there but how would rewriting the manuscript so the darkness could spread save Alice?

Okay sure Alan was possessed by the darkness but when he tried to spread it, the darkness probably would have tried to take Alice again....but then why would they take her if they had Alan.

I am corn-fused.

Also this forum needs more people.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!)   Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!) I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 8:05 am

I was gonna say that you know on the tv screens throughout the game you see "Alan" writing the book,
that was the real alan.
And you played most of the game as Mr Scratch except you don't know it.
You see, Alan stayed in the place the entire time.
But unfortunately, that's wrong, Alan knows the real side to the story:
Sovereign Alan wrote:
I know the real meaning to Alan Wake's ending.

Everyone was on acid. Alan took 5 hits of it. And then later he smoked some salvia. Turns out he was never a writer, and there is no Bright Falls. He lives in Galveston, near the Gulf of Mexico. Which explains why the Lake was black.

Here's another interpretation
Btw
the guy's
very
camp
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!)   Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!) I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 2:42 pm

Go play both DLC's to get the real ending.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!)   Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!) I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 5:25 pm

DukemNukem43 wrote:
Lame. :/
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!)   Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!) I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 1:24 pm

DukemNukem43 wrote:

BUT I NO HAF MONEY!
Y U NO LEND ME MONEY?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!)   Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!) I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 1:51 pm

I have recently finished both DLC's and the ending of the writer is kinda odd im not sure if its a cliffhanger or not

Spoiler:

Could this mean theres a possibility to alan wake 2?
Back to top Go down
Azazel
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Azazel

Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!) 5DfcoiC
Stature : 7
Equestria

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!)   Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!) I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 3:54 pm

Alan Wake wrote:
It's not a lake, it's an ocean...

A lake can effect a town, an ocean can effect the world.
Back to top Go down
DarthCueball
Merchant
Merchant
DarthCueball

Stature : 0

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!)   Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!) I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 8:03 pm

i just beat alan wake and it was good. anyone who has a 360 needs to play this.
Back to top Go down
http://[url=http://www.yourgamercards.net/profile/DarthCueball]
DarthCueball
Merchant
Merchant
DarthCueball

Stature : 0

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!)   Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!) I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 8:05 pm

also amazon has a couple of digital copys for $1.74

http://www.amazon.com/Alan-Wake-Full-Download-Xbox-360/dp/B004KODHKM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1298595828&sr=8-2
Back to top Go down
http://[url=http://www.yourgamercards.net/profile/DarthCueball]
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!)   Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!) I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 9:00 pm

DarthCueball wrote:
also amazon has a couple of digital copys for $1.74

http://www.amazon.com/Alan-Wake-Full-Download-Xbox-360/dp/B004KODHKM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1298595828&sr=8-2
Add $7.99 shipping and it's around $10, which, to be fair, is still a good price for this game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!)   Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alan Wake Ending Discussion (SPOILERS! - DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED ALAN WAKE!!)
Page 1 of 1