Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2

Go down 
+17
Che Guevara
Jack the Spectre
ArchAngel
Hydell
Stigma
Ihsahn
Pein
The_Biotic_God
Azazel
Archduke
Stoney
ghost23
NoelX2
Based Sonji
igame
TheJubJub5721
Orc
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2 - Page 4 XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2   Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 11:35 pm

Ihsahn wrote:
Free roam =/= linear. It's not like linear is a bad thing because, you know, nearly every game ever made is linear.
Well if you break it down to the smallest details, yes, it could be considered linear, but on a grand scale it's far from linear.
Back to top Go down
Tron Cat
Villager
Villager
Tron Cat

Stature : 2

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2   Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 11:38 pm

TRF wrote:
Ihsahn wrote:
Free roam =/= linear. It's not like linear is a bad thing because, you know, nearly every game ever made is linear.
Well if you break it down to the smallest details, yes, it could be considered linear

But it's still linear.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2   Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 11:42 pm

Tron Cat wrote:
TRF wrote:
Ihsahn wrote:
Well if you break it down to the smallest details, yes, it could be considered linear

But it's still linear.
Explain to me what you find linear in the game, because we might be looking at the game in two different ways.
Back to top Go down
Tron Cat
Villager
Villager
Tron Cat

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2   Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 11:49 pm

TRF wrote:
Tron Cat wrote:
TRF wrote:
Ihsahn wrote:

But it's still linear.
Explain to me what you find linear in the game, because we might be looking at the game in two different ways.

You're still going from quest A to quest B.

Sure, you could go to quest A then to quest C and THEN to B, but it's still the same path.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2   Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 8:25 am

Tron Cat wrote:
TRF wrote:
Tron Cat wrote:
TRF wrote:
Ihsahn wrote:

But it's still linear.

Sure, you could go to quest A then to quest C and THEN to B, but it's still the same path.
Fair enough, although I wouldn't consider that to be linear. Dragon Age II, on the other hand, makes you travel in a straight line.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

Stature : 4

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2   Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 12:52 pm

You could call that linear as well.
Back to top Go down
BioDemon
Graphics Mudokon
Graphics Mudokon
BioDemon

Stature : 48
America

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2   Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 12:55 pm

TRF wrote:
Tron Cat wrote:
TRF wrote:
Tron Cat wrote:
TRF wrote:
Ihsahn wrote:

But it's still linear.

Fair enough, although I wouldn't consider that to be linear. Dragon Age II, on the other hand, makes you travel in a straight line.

Even in terms of doing strictly just the main quest, The Elder Scrolls is less linear than Dragon Age by a mile.
But as a whole package, Oblivion is incredibly open! Seriously. Go anywhere in a massive world whenever you like, enter any building, do whatever shit you like.
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2   Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 11:11 am

OR OR OR. You can do quest A, do a bunch of other random quests, explore the vast open world, kill some retards and steal their shit, then do quest B. Maybe you're just playing the game wrong.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2   Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 12:17 pm

That's still a linear game. What you're describing is free roam.

Sure, you can dick around, but that doesn't change Quest A unlocking Quest B then Quest B unlocking Quest C and so on. It's a straight line and it won't change the next time you play the game, or 10 years from now.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2   Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 12:27 pm

Ihsahn wrote:
That's still a linear game. What you're describing is free roam.

Sure, you can dick around, but that doesn't change Quest A unlocking Quest B then Quest B unlocking Quest C and so on. It's a straight line and it won't change the next time you play the game, or 10 years from now.
W
hat would you consider non-linear?

My example would be Oblivion, Fallout = non-linear. Uncharted, Gears, God of War = linear.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2   Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 12:34 pm

I don't know a non-linear game because, to my knowledge, one doesn't exist. Hell, it might not even be possible because a game is limited by its code.

Giving choices to player (i.e. killing this guy -> leads to questline A; not killing this guy -> leads to questline B) is what we have and that's a good thing. What we can do is give the players so many choices that its linearity is essentially non-existent.
Back to top Go down
Tron Cat
Villager
Villager
Tron Cat

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2   Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 2:13 pm

The only true non-linear games are Pen and Paper RPGs.

Which are fucking awesome by the way.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2   Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 4:46 pm

Ihsahn wrote:
I don't know a non-linear game because, to my knowledge, one doesn't exist. Hell, it might not even be possible because a game is limited by its code.

Giving choices to player (i.e. killing this guy -> leads to questline A; not killing this guy -> leads to questline B) is what we have and that's a good thing. What we can do is give the players so many choices that its linearity is essentially non-existent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonlinear_gameplay
Back to top Go down
Tron Cat
Villager
Villager
Tron Cat

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2   Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 5:27 pm

Stoney wrote:

en.wikipedia.org

Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2 - Page 4 1269828560132

Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2   Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 5:37 pm

Pretty much what I thought, but to be fair, we've been getting really technical here (what TRF said at the top of the page).

To use your Wiki article:

Quote :
A truly nonlinear story would be written entirely by the actions of the player, and thus remains a difficult design challenge

Just apply this to gameplay. Video games can get close, but there are still set pieces designed by the developer which will take you on the same path every time. Ideally, a true nonlinear game would work similar to P&P RPGs.
Back to top Go down
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2   Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 23, 2011 8:47 pm

Ihsahn wrote:
Pretty much what I thought, but to be fair, we've been getting really technical here (what TRF said at the top of the page).

To use your Wiki article:

Quote :
A truly nonlinear story would be written entirely by the actions of the player, and thus remains a difficult design challenge

Just apply this to gameplay. Video games can get close, but there are still set pieces designed by the developer which will take you on the same path every time. Ideally, a true nonlinear game would work similar to P&P RPGs.

I would agree with that there truly is no non-linear game but Oblivion, Fallout, Mass Effect, ect are pretty much as close as you are gonna get.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2   Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2 - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2011 3:28 am

Well, I think we can get closer, but yes those games are nonlinear in realistic terms.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2   Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2 - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Skyrim will be better than Dragon Age 2
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4