Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Witcher 2

Go down 
+3
Stoney
Archduke
Blixtstorm
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Blixtstorm
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
Blixtstorm

Stature : 18
Sweden
Playing : TDU2 (PC) / Minecraft (Tekkit modpack)

The Witcher 2 Empty
PostSubject: The Witcher 2   The Witcher 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 10:23 am

The Witcher 2

Mind-blowing is a simple word to explain this game, right from the beginning to the very end of the storyline. You will simply be amazed.

Story:
This is the second installment of the story following the witcher called Geralt of Rivia a sort of demon/monster killer for hire. Following the story from the first game you can continue from your old save file to change the experience through-out the game.

As most RPG’s you start of in a castle dungeon, but you have no idea why you are in there. You will have to explain what happens in the prologue by playing it piece by piece and thus creating your own opening to the game. Right from the start your actions will have an impact on the game; from the words you say to the people you kill with your blade.

As your visit in the dungeon progresses the dungeons you will meet Vernon Roach, the leader of the Temerian Special Forces called “The Blue Stripes”. He will either believe your story, or kill you depending on the answers you will give him. If he believes you, he will help you on your quest to find the Assassin of Kings.

Your first stop on the way is a small hamlet in the Pontar Valleys called Flotsam. Flotsam is a small town with a corrupt leader with higher goals and a monster living in the waters. As a witcher you will choose to cooperate with them or go your own way. And you will have to choose how you want to act in the game by picking on side of the coin, from either bad or bad.

The new part involves a wraith mist, and depending on your choices in the game so far the story can alter quite a bit. I can just say that it’s worth playing more than once.

Gameplay:
Geralt is not an overpowered superhero; he is a mutant, a geneticly enhanced monster slayer. This plays a major part in the games structure of how you play the game. If you go in to a battle “guns blazing” you will get your arse kicked even on the easiest game setting.

This game involves something called tactic, you will either use them or die. This is something that you will notice the first time you play the prologue. Fighting is based around planning ahead; you will have to prepare yourself for every fight. From the choice of oil on the sword to the potions you will drink before you enter the battle. You cannot use potions or change anything during battles.

Signs are the equivalent of magic in this game, well not entirely as there are magicians and sorcerers in the game that doesn’t use signs to make magic. In the first witcher game you are taught what the signs are and you to use them. They are more or less like the force in Star Wars, the summoning of energy from the earth and living things. The signs are a key component when it comes to fighting people.

Geralt is also able to use certain items when fighting such as daggers and traps to bombs. Using them wisely is recommended as most stuff you do can kill yourself.

Fighting is a big part of the game but you will do alchemy and other stuff to help you on the way. Talking is a huge thing in this The Witcher 2, this is something that you notice as your words and actions will change the direction the game goes. Intimidation to persuasion, not the Mass Effect kind, but more fast paced, like a real conversation.

Visuals and Sounds:
The Witcher is one of the best looking games of all time, maybe even the best looking of all time, in every category. The use of polygons and tessellation to the smooth light gives the game a real life look. With the full day and night cycle you will experience the shadows and light dancing across the screen. This is something that CD Project really achieved something great when they created the new Red Engine. The huge draw distances to the small details.

Comparing the graphics to a console is pretty fun, comparing Witcher 2 to one of the best looking games on console Uncharted 2 is like comparing Halo CE to Halo Reach in graphical fidelity. The Witcher really does look amazing, and with my settings chugging along in around 35-40 FPS @ 1080P even the most hardcore gaming computers will struggle to run the game even on high. Thinking of running this game at Ultra detail will set you back several thousands of euros.

Sounds play a big part of the game, from the swords clashing to the birds singing. You will always hear beautiful environmental sounds that will complement the visuals. But that isn’t the best part when it comes to sounds.

Voice acting to the next level? I would say so, I even thing it excels beyond the things that Team Bondi did with L.A. Noire. Maybe not in the facial expression department, but the voice acting is beyond anything I have ever heard. If I would compare it to anything, it would more be like a movie.

Conclusion:
The Witcher 2 is a stunning game, with high points that trumps the last one almost every time. Even the sex scenes are made beautiful comparing it to Mass Effect or Dragon Age. This is a game that more or less doesn’t care for the “kids” that play games. It has an 18+ rating for a reason and it really shows when it comes to the full package. Everything to sex, gore, violence and racism, the game has it all.

The replay value is immense, with 4 alternative endings and 4 minor to each big one. To see them all you will need to play the game at least 16 times. And the game will deliver every time; it’s truly an epic role playing experience. Clocking in at around 20-25 hours when you are in hurry, stretching it out and you will look at least 50 hours.

This game is worth its weight in gold and the nation of Poland knows it, giving away a copy to Barack Obama when he was over. At least now he can enjoy one of the best role playing games of all time. Any gamer that can should pick this game up, either for PC or later of the Xbox 360, but be prepared for a challenge as this game delivers on all fronts.

The Witcher 2 5574551F06ADB287F464036AC0C15CFC6325E7D7

The Witcher 2 912588644D799D0ED41ADD1657DB7C58698724E8

The Witcher 2 A69896148E5B58111FA5116050ACAE3E8DDE1A14

The Witcher 2 8A4C22F5108A0F1030C932F60AB2B1322AF25CDE

Last edited by Blixtstorm on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

The Witcher 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Witcher 2   The Witcher 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 10:25 am

I heard that this game has a huge learning curve towards its combat system and its difficulty.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

The Witcher 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Witcher 2   The Witcher 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 10:51 am

Awesome review, Blixt.

I wonder how it will look on the 360, seeing as that will be the platform I'll get it for. Do you really believe it's the best looking game? From what I saw it looks great, but not that great. Maybe you need to see it for yourself.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

The Witcher 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Witcher 2   The Witcher 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 10:56 am

Excellent review.
I'm hyped for the xbox release. :) Gonna be awesome.

lol
Quote :
Even the sex scenes are made beautiful comparing it to Mass Effect or Dragon Age.
Bubububut dragon age has the most beautiful graphics and sex scenes of all time. I give it 10/10
Back to top Go down
Blixtstorm
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
Blixtstorm

Stature : 18
Sweden
Playing : TDU2 (PC) / Minecraft (Tekkit modpack)

The Witcher 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Witcher 2   The Witcher 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 11:19 am

Stoney wrote:
Awesome review, Blixt.

I wonder how it will look on the 360, seeing as that will be the platform I'll get it for. Do you really believe it's the best looking game? From what I saw it looks great, but not that great. Maybe you need to see it for yourself.

The jpeg compression makes no justice for the picture. Compared it to Crysis, is not fair since its only DX10. Crysis and the some other games does not compare really to it, a true PC game. Yes, as you said you need to see it. The motion blur is the best I have ever seen.

That picture is taken in high, you can have extreme or ultra beyond that. And anti aliasing as well, this game can look extremely good.
Back to top Go down
Fenrir
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Fenrir

The Witcher 2 E0Pbf6f
Stature : 14
The Dreadf
Playing : Pin the dick on the Reek

The Witcher 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Witcher 2   The Witcher 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 6:20 pm

Awesome review! The Witcher 2 2505020059
well im still in the first city... i need to fight some kraken tentacle shit i cant find the ship though xD
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

The Witcher 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Witcher 2   The Witcher 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 8:37 am

Blixtstorm wrote:
Stoney wrote:
Awesome review, Blixt.

The jpeg compression makes no justice for the picture. Compared it to Crysis, is not fair since its only DX10. Crysis and the some other games does not compare really to it, a true PC game. Yes, as you said you need to see it. The motion blur is the best I have ever seen.

That picture is taken in high, you can have extreme or ultra beyond that. And anti aliasing as well, this game can look extremely good.

You're right, it does look better when you're in-game.
But yeah, for other people's reference, these are screens I took in ultra settings (right click - open image for full screen)

The Witcher 2 DD0397A5AA3997150DF12D628C1B629377B56EC7
The Witcher 2 E37006CC8E2735DDE4735A80BEBD73EE8C4B3F1F
The Witcher 2 FA2884E6FBE9316A2EDFBB631BE3432B84C8295C
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

The Witcher 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Witcher 2   The Witcher 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 10:46 am

Your laptop can run The Witcher 2 on high? :O
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

The Witcher 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Witcher 2   The Witcher 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 10:56 am

Stoney wrote:

Well it lags like a bitch on ultra settings. It's pretty much unplayable.
On high it ran surprisingly well but after 10/15 minutes lag kicked in (cpu usage must have increased or something).
I'll try again with high settings with steam and other programs closed, see if I get consistent performance.
Back to top Go down
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
igame

Stature : 39
in front of computer
Playing : comedy

The Witcher 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Witcher 2   The Witcher 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 4:49 pm

Lykos wrote:
Stoney wrote:

On high it ran surprisingly well but after 10/15 minutes lag kicked in (cpu usage must have increased or something).
I'll try again with high settings with steam and other programs closed, see if I get consistent performance.

What laptop do you have?
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

The Witcher 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Witcher 2   The Witcher 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 5:29 pm

lol gaming laptop.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

The Witcher 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Witcher 2   The Witcher 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 11:25 am

igame wrote:
Lykos wrote:
Stoney wrote:

What laptop do you have?

Acer Aspire 5750G (There are several versions, my one has Intel Dual Cores i5 of up to 2.9GHz per core), 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD and Nvidia Geforce GT 540M, 1GB dedicated.)

I can run Crysis 2 on Hardcore. :3
Back to top Go down
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

The Witcher 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Witcher 2   The Witcher 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2011 12:44 pm

Definitely gonna play this game. Gonna get the first one first though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Witcher 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Witcher 2   The Witcher 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Witcher 2
Page 1 of 1