Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Call of Duty cinematic universe announced!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Call of Duty cinematic universe announced! R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

Call of Duty cinematic universe announced! Empty
PostSubject: Call of Duty cinematic universe announced!   Call of Duty cinematic universe announced! I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 06, 2015 3:50 pm

Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Call of Duty cinematic universe announced! PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty cinematic universe announced!   Call of Duty cinematic universe announced! I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2015 1:06 am

I'm sick and tired of all these goddamn universes in goddamn Hollywood. FUCK!
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty cinematic universe announced!   Call of Duty cinematic universe announced! I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2015 11:28 am

Does Hollywood even realize that the Marvel universe has been around since the early 60s? It's not exactly a new concept. =/ Marvel has decades and decades of material to make their film universe work. Same with DC as well. While some studios don't have an establish universe for their properties. Yet they want to create a "cinematic universe"? Out of what? Call of Duty isn't exactly a story-driven franchise. So it makes no sense. I understand if a certain character becomes popular and you want to give him a stand-alone film, but this feels forced.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Call of Duty cinematic universe announced! Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty cinematic universe announced!   Call of Duty cinematic universe announced! I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2015 11:53 am

Mecha wrote:
Does Hollywood even realize that the Marvel universe has been around since the early 60s? It's not exactly a new concept. =/ Marvel has decades and decades of material to make their film universe work. Same with DC as well. While some studios don't have an establish universe for their properties. Yet they want to create a "cinematic universe"? Out of what? Call of Duty isn't exactly a story-driven franchise. So it makes no sense. I understand if a certain character becomes popular and you want to give him a stand-alone film, but this feels forced.

It's all about trying to replicate Marvel's movie success with other brands that are huge as well.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty cinematic universe announced!   Call of Duty cinematic universe announced! I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2015 12:37 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:

It's all about trying to replicate Marvel's movie success with other brands that are huge as well.

How do you replicate something when that other property is from a different medium? There's a reason why we have more good comic book movies than we do with video game movies.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty cinematic universe announced!   Call of Duty cinematic universe announced! I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2015 2:26 pm

Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:

How do you replicate something when that other property is from a different medium?

Comics are a different medium than movies, too. The MCU is mostly the movie medium with branches into TV, etc. Video games can do the same.

There's a reason why we have more good comic book movies than we do with video game movies.

Which has all about to do with the directors and writers, and nothing with the medium. Are you trying to imply that video games don't have the same potential? Video game movies have a lot more story, character and concept quality than comics do in the world of cinema. Yet again, it's a writer and director issue - not a medium one. 
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty cinematic universe announced!   Call of Duty cinematic universe announced! I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2015 3:08 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Comics are a different medium than movies, too. The MCU is mostly the movie medium with branches into TV, etc. Video games can do the same.

Except both comic books and movies put story before anything else. That's why both mediums go well together. Where as video games put gameplay before story.

Which has all about to do with the directors and writers, and nothing with the medium. Are you trying to imply that video games don't have the same potential? Video game movies have a lot more story, character and concept quality than comics do in the world of cinema. Yet again, it's a writer and director issue - not a medium one. 

You're right. Video game properties have the same potential of being good movies as comic books do. But lets be honest here, comic books are more easier to adapt on film because the stories are already there written for you.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty cinematic universe announced!   Call of Duty cinematic universe announced! I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2015 3:40 pm

Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Except both comic books and movies put story before anything else. That's why both mediums go well together. Where as video games put gameplay before story.

There are video games that put story first; not every game is Elder Scrolls. And the same can be said for comics as well. That, and now we're returning to getting the right directors and writers again.

You're right. Video game properties have the same potential of being good movies as comic books do. But lets be honest here, comic books are more easier to adapt on film because the stories are already there written for you.

The stories are already written for you in games. Just look at the story behind the Warcraft movie and the Assassin's Creed one - they're basically using the same story from the first in each of those franchises. 

Also, on a final note: comic books aren't really story-driven, for the most part - and neither are the ones that have been used in movies, either. They're essentially spectacles with characters in them. Something games already do a lot better. 
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty cinematic universe announced!   Call of Duty cinematic universe announced! I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 07, 2015 7:52 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
There are video games that put story first; not every game is Elder Scrolls. And the same can be said for comics as well. That, and now we're returning to getting the right directors and writers again.

Right, but most video games still put gameplay before story. Just because a few video games focus more on story, doesn't mean the same goes for all video games.

The stories are already written for you in games. Just look at the story behind the Warcraft movie and the Assassin's Creed one - they're basically using the same story from the first in each of those franchises.

Like I said above, just because certain games have this and that, doesn't mean the same goes for the rest. That's like saying, just because Uncharted would make a great movie, the same goes for Super Mario Bros. as well.

Also, on a final note: comic books aren't really story-driven, for the most part - and neither are the ones that have been used in movies, either. They're essentially spectacles with characters in them. Something games already do a lot better. 

Civil War, The Dark Knight Returns, V For Vendetta, and Watchmen aren't story-driven? lol, okay.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty cinematic universe announced!   Call of Duty cinematic universe announced! I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2015 7:49 am

Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:

Right, but most video games still put gameplay before story. Just because a few video games focus more on story, doesn't mean the same goes for all video games.

You can say the same about comic books...

Like I said above, just because certain games have this and that, doesn't mean the same goes for the rest. That's like saying, just because Uncharted would make a great movie, the same goes for Super Mario Bros. as well.

Civil War, The Dark Knight Returns, V For Vendetta, and Watchmen aren't story-driven? lol, okay.

The Dark Knight Rises is plot-driven. So is Watchmen and V for Vendetta as well. Even Watchmen focuses more on its plotline than anything else. That, and those are only 4 out of over 18+ comic book movies we've gotten. Almost all of which are spectacle and character-based. 
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty cinematic universe announced!   Call of Duty cinematic universe announced! I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2015 12:23 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:

Not really. =/

Even if some comic books focus less of story, it's still a story-telling medium.

The Dark Knight Rises is plot-driven. So is Watchmen and V for Vendetta as well. Even Watchmen focuses more on its plotline than anything else. That, and those are only 4 out of over 18+ comic book movies we've gotten. Almost all of which are spectacle and character-based.

Plot, story, whatever. Point is, comic books are a story-telling medium. More so than video games anyway. Also almost every comic book movie you see are based on a certain comic. Rarely do you see a filmmaker do his own original story for a comic book movie. All they do is adapt a certain comic book, and add their own spin to it.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty cinematic universe announced!   Call of Duty cinematic universe announced! I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2015 2:04 pm

Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Not really. =/

You said:

Quote :
Just because a few video games focus more on story, doesn't mean the same goes for all video games.

Yes, really - you can say the same about comic books... 

Even if some comic books focus less of story, it's still a story-telling medium.

And video games are an interactive storytelling medium. 

Plot, story, whatever. Point is, comic books are a story-telling medium. More so than video games anyway. Also almost every comic book movie you see are based on a certain comic. Rarely do you see a filmmaker do his own original story for a comic book movie. All they do is adapt a certain comic book, and add their own spin to it.

Games are an interactive storytelling medium. Storytelling isn't defined, nor limited, by its passive nature or form. 

The reason those comic book movies are mainly adapted from comics is because that means there's a bigger fanbase built in, which reduces the risk of something unique. You can do the same about most popular and well-known gaming franchises.

There's also no reason to asume that a video game movie has to take every story-beat from its source material; when books and plays can differentiate, then so can the largest media medium out there (Gaming.)
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty cinematic universe announced!   Call of Duty cinematic universe announced! I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 08, 2015 5:42 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
You said:

Quote :
Just because a few video games focus more on story, doesn't mean the same goes for all video games.

Yes, really - you can say the same about comic books... 

Except most comic books are more about story-telling. Most video games are more about gameplay than story. So they don't even compare.

And video games are an interactive storytelling medium. 

Games are an interactive storytelling medium. Storytelling isn't defined, nor limited, by its passive nature or form.

Yes, but gameplay always comes first when it comes to video games. Story comes second. That's not to say video games can't be adapted into great movies. But there is so many blanks to fill with adapting video games into films. Where as with comic books, there is just so much more material there. It's kinda like what Ted Tally once said, it's easier to write a screenplay based on a novel, when the author of that novel is already a great writer. Those aren't the exact words, but that's what he basically said.

The reason those comic book movies are mainly adapted from comics is because that means there's a bigger fanbase built in, which reduces the risk of something unique. You can do the same about most popular and well-known gaming franchises.

No. It's just a lot easier to take ideas from the source material, rather than just trying to come up with original ideas.

There's also no reason to asume that a video game movie has to take every story-beat from its source material; when books and plays can differentiate, then so can the largest media medium out there (Gaming.)

Never said video game movies need to be all that faithful to the source material. In fact, I'm hoping we see an original story for the upcoming Uncharted film. I don't want to see a retelling of the first game again.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty cinematic universe announced!   Call of Duty cinematic universe announced! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2015 9:25 am

Mecha wrote:
Ramboonredbull wrote:

Except most comic books are more about story-telling. Most video games are more about gameplay than story. So they don't even compare.

Most games are about interactive storytelling. Yet again, as I already said: storytelling is not defined by its passive nature or form.

Yes, but gameplay always comes first when it comes to video games. Story comes second.

The gameplay is where the interactive part flows through the story. They're two parts of one.

Where as with comic books, there is just so much more material there. It's kinda like what Ted Tally once said, it's easier to write a screenplay based on a novel, when the author of that novel is already a great writer. Those aren't the exact words, but that's what he basically said.

You clearly don't understand the quote. That quote doesn't refer to to a pre-decided idea of whether or not to adapt it, but defines the difficulties when you're already doing it. Two different things alltogether.

No. It's just a lot easier to take ideas from the source material, rather than just trying to come up with original ideas.

Movies aren't made because they're easy; if they were, there wouldn't exist original movies, in the first place. Adaptations are made to get a bigger audience by reaching to a higher profit with reducing the risk. You can do the exact same thing with games as well. 

I don't want to see a retelling of the first game again.

But you do with every comic book movie? Yeah... 
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty cinematic universe announced!   Call of Duty cinematic universe announced! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2015 3:45 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Most games are about interactive storytelling. Yet again, as I already said: storytelling is not defined by its passive nature or form.

Yes. You can still tell a great story no matter what the medium is. I'm NOT saying video game can't translate well into films. But dammit, it sure helps when you take a material that's already written for you to help you guide there.

The gameplay is where the interactive part flows through the story. They're two parts of one.

Films don't have gameplay.........

Movies aren't made because they're easy; if they were, there wouldn't exist original movies, in the first place. Adaptations are made to get a bigger audience by reaching to a higher profit with reducing the risk. You can do the exact same thing with games as well. 

It's easier in the sense that you already have a story written there for you, rather than coming up with an original story of your own. Most of the greatest films out there are based on novels. So I find it laughable that you are comparing video games to literature.

But you do with every comic book movie? Yeah... 

That's completely different. Comic book movies aren't direct adaptations of the comic books they are based on. You read a Days of Future Past comic, and you'll notice that it is completely different from the movie X-Men: Days of Future Past. X-Men: Days of Future Past is more like the Age of Ultron comic than Days of Future Past if anything. That's what Marvel Studios and Warner Bros. do. They take ideas and storylines from various comic books, and put them together into one film. As for Uncharted, the games already feel cinematic enough.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty cinematic universe announced!   Call of Duty cinematic universe announced! I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2015 4:17 pm

Mecha wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Yes. You can still tell a great story no matter what the medium is. I'm NOT saying video game can't translate well into films. But dammit, it sure helps when you take a material that's already written for you to help you guide there.

Which has nothing to do with your previous argument that:

Quote :
They don't even compare.

Games, like any storytelling medium, compares equally to film, music, painting, literatture, etc. when it comes to its medium's storytelling. 

Films don't have gameplay.........

Nice reply. You clearly stated:

Quote :
[In gaming] story comes second.

We never talked about film; I was merely explaining to you that the interactive part of a game flows through its story - hence, why it's called interactive storytelling.  

It's easier in the sense that you already have a story written there for you, rather than coming up with an original story of your own. Most of the greatest films out there are based on novels. So I find it laughable that you are comparing video games to literature.

The same way you compare comic books to movies? Yeah, it goes both ways...

BTW, it's even more laughable that you're dismissing games' storytelling potential when gaming has some of the most rich and complex concept stories out there. I guess Ant-Man was a real "masterpiece" in terms of comparison regarding its storytelling...

Comic books =/= Novels.

I don't know what is worse: that you just compared movies like Ant-Man and X-Men to films like Birth of a Nation, or that you believe they're part of the same thing. Etiher way, it's just laughable. 

That's completely different. Comic book movies aren't direct adaptations of the comic books they are based on. You read a Days of Future Past comic, and you'll notice that it is completely different from the movie X-Men: Days of Future Past. X-Men: Days of Future Past is more like the Age of Ultron comic than Days of Future Past if anything. That's what Marvel Studios and Warner Bros. do. They take ideas and storylines from various comic books, and put them together into one film. As for Uncharted, the games already feel cinematic enough.

Yet, don't you always complain that they change too many things in Marvel's movies? Never stopped you from watching and liking them, though, as hypocritical as that makes you seem right now.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Call of Duty cinematic universe announced!   Call of Duty cinematic universe announced! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Call of Duty cinematic universe announced!
Page 1 of 1