Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? Empty
PostSubject: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 10:55 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:United_States_National_Film_Registry_films
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

PostSubject: Re: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 11:01 am

They probably will.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 11:07 am

Kinda odd that they don't have T2 in there though. =/
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 11:11 am

Mecha wrote:

Do they have the first one?
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 1:51 pm

it's not that good
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 2:09 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Mecha wrote:

Do they have the first one?

Yes.

@Orion It's not about quality, it's about the impact that these films made.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 4:22 pm

I saw Sky High on the list and for a second thought it was the superhero school movie. Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? 725796345

Anyway, it should be. That and maybe The Avengers, if like Mecha said, it's based more on impact.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 4:35 pm

@yonny616 lol, fuck that! Yeah, The Avengers made an impact, but not in the sense of filmmaking. You take away the fact that The Avengers is the first superhero crossover movie ever, and it's just your typical blockbuster superhero movie. Where as something like The Dark Knight was much more than that.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Earth

PostSubject: Re: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 4:57 pm

Mecha wrote:
@yonny616 lol, fuck that! Yeah, The Avengers made an impact, but not in the sense of filmmaking. You take away the fact that The Avengers is the first superhero crossover movie ever, and it's just your typical blockbuster superhero movie. Where as something like The Dark Knight was much more than that.
In the sense of filmmaking? Probably not. In the film industry? Yup. The fact that it was the first superhero crossover ever is what made it the impact that it was. After that film every studio that had a comic book property scrambled to make a their own shared universe, even some that don't have superheroes tried to make a shared universe.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 5:37 pm

@yonny616 Doesn't mean the movie should be considered "culturally, historically or aesthetically" significant by the U.S. Library of Congress though. Take The Big Lebowski for example, that film underperformed at the box-office and not everybody absolutely loved it per se. But the cult following on that film is so strong, that there's a lot of philosophical books about it and even started a religion. Now that's an impact.

As for every studio scrambling to make a shared universe, Fox, Sony, and other studios pretty much failed at that. DC was eventually going to have a shared universe anyway whether the MCU existed or not.  I mean, they already made references to Superman in the 90s Batman movies, and Batman was suppose to appear in the cancelled Superman Lives film. Also don't forget, Nolan was against the idea of a shared universe, two DC movies that was suppose to set up the DC film universe under performed at the box-office, and Warner Bros. was going through legal problems with the rights to Superman. So Warner Bros. ALWAYS wanted to have a DC film universe before the MCU. But they just couldn't.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Earth

PostSubject: Re: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 6:33 pm

Mecha wrote:
@yonny616 Doesn't mean the movie should be considered "culturally, historically or aesthetically" significant by the U.S. Library of Congress though. Take The Big Lebowski for example, that film underperformed at the box-office and not everybody absolutely loved it per se. But the cult following on that film is so strong, that there's a lot of philosophical books about it and even started a religion. Now that's an impact.

As for every studio scrambling to make a shared universe, Fox, Sony, and other studios pretty much failed at that. DC was eventually going to have a shared universe anyway whether the MCU existed or not.  I mean, they already made references to Superman in the 90s Batman movies, and Batman was suppose to appear in the cancelled Superman Lives film. Also don't forget, Nolan was against the idea of a shared universe, two DC movies that was suppose to set up the DC film universe under performed at the box-office, and Warner Bros. was going through legal problems with the rights to Superman. So Warner Bros. ALWAYS wanted to have a DC film universe before the MCU. But they just couldn't.
Yes, yes it should considering that Avengers, along with The Dark Knight, brought the whole comic book movie genre into mainstream culture and made it what it is today. These two films changed the perception of comic book heroes in american culture from something nerdy and childish to something... Cool (lack of better term).

Whether they failed or not, they still scrambled to make their own. Okay, so? How does this change the impact Avengers had?
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 6:51 pm

@yonny616 Nope. Comic book movie genre was already mainstream before The Avengers.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Earth

PostSubject: Re: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 8:19 pm

Mecha wrote:
@yonny616 Nope. Comic book movie genre was already mainstream before The Avengers.
No. Superman was mainstream. Batman was mainstream. Spider-Man was mainstream. X-Men... were kind of mainstream. Everything else was at best a cult hit if not a flop. This is not a mainstream genre.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 8:33 pm

@yonny616 You're just proving my point about the comic book movie genre already being mainstream before The Avengers. The only thing The Avengers did was make Marvel's B-list team into an A-list team (no pun intended). Also X-Men is KINDA mainstream? Well I guess compare to characters like Batman, Superman and Spider-Man yeah. But the X-Men animated series from the 90s was pretty mainstream and X-Men comics sells like hot cakes. In fact, I think X-Men is Marvel's best selling comic book series. Also, not counting Blade, X-Men was the first film to kick off the modern superhero craze, and now we're are entering in the eighth or ninth installment of the X-Men film franchise. So yeah, I would say X-Men is very mainstream.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Earth

PostSubject: Re: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 9:27 pm

Mecha wrote:
@yonny616 You're just proving my point about the comic book movie genre already being mainstream before The Avengers. The only thing The Avengers did was make Marvel's B-list team into an A-list team (no pun intended). Also X-Men is KINDA mainstream? Well I guess compare to characters like Batman, Superman and Spider-Man yeah. But the X-Men animated series from the 90s was pretty mainstream and X-Men comics sells like hot cakes. In fact, I think X-Men is Marvel's best selling comic book series. Also, not counting Blade, X-Men was the first film to kick off the modern superhero craze, and now we're are entering in the eighth or ninth installment of the X-Men film franchise. So yeah, I would say X-Men is very mainstream.
How? Three of these characters were mainstream before their films. It's like saying comics are mainstream because they're iconic and c'mon, comics aren't mainstream. Yes, they were kinda mainstream when their film franchise first started. Who cares if X-men comics sell like hot cakes? Comics aren't mainstream. Blade was cult hit. "kick off"? No, it was basically the warm up before the kick off. Okay, they were popular enough to keep getting sequels.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 10:04 pm

yonny616 wrote:
Mecha wrote:
How? Three of these characters were mainstream before their films. It's like saying comics are mainstream because they're iconic and c'mon, comics aren't mainstream. Yes, they were kinda mainstream when their film franchise first started. Who cares if X-men comics sell like hot cakes? Comics aren't mainstream. Blade was cult hit. "kick off"? No, it was basically the warm up before the kick off. Okay, they were popular enough to keep getting sequels.

Wait, what? What three characters? Comics aren't exactly mainstream, but that doesn't mean they don't matter. Take Deadpool for example. By giving fans what they want, helps bring in positive buzz around the film. As for X-Men being just a warm up for the real kick off, I believe one of the filmmakers behind The Dark Knight films even said that X-Men was the one that started the whole modern comic book genre. Oh and by the way, the WHOLE reason why Kevin Feige is even president of Marvel Studios is all because of X-Men. One of the producers of X-Men (not Marvel) hired him as an assistant in his very first job in a Marvel film, all because of his knowledge of comic books. Ever since then, he's been working his way to the top. So without X-Men, there would be no Kevin Feige. Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? 725796345
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Earth

PostSubject: Re: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 11:10 pm

Mecha wrote:
Wait, what? What three characters? Comics aren't exactly mainstream, but that doesn't mean they don't matter. Take Deadpool for example. By giving fans what they want, helps bring in positive buzz around the film. As for X-Men being just a warm up for the real kick off, I believe one of the filmmakers behind The Dark Knight films even said that X-Men was the one that started the whole modern comic book genre. Oh and by the way, the WHOLE reason why Kevin Feige is even president of Marvel Studios is all because of X-Men. One of the producers of X-Men (not Marvel) hired him as an assistant in his very first job in a Marvel film, all because of his knowledge of comic books. Ever since then, he's been working his way to the top. So without X-Men, there would be no Kevin Feige. Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? 725796345
"Aren't exactly". Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? 725796345 Stop. They aren't. And all this has to do with Avenger's impact on the industry how? X-Men was a warm up. It warmed people up back to comic book film after Batman and Robin. It's the precursor. This golden era of comic book films began with Iron Man and The Dark Knight and was solidified by The Avengers which brought 5 different franchises together in a highly successful crossover event that pushed WB (two attempts), Sony, Fox, and Universal to attempt a shared universe with their franchises in a similar manner. This is fact as much as you don't like it.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 11:18 pm

@yonny616 Nope. Like I said, without X-Men, there probably wouldn't have been a Kevin Feige or MCU for that matter. Even IF X-Men was just a warm up, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight should be the ones that really kicked it off if anything.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Earth

PostSubject: Re: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 11:59 am

Mecha wrote:
@yonny616 Nope. Like I said, without X-Men, there probably wouldn't have been a Kevin Feige or MCU for that matter. Even IF X-Men was just a warm up, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight should be the ones that really kicked it off if anything.
I didn't know you could look into alternate timelines. Batman Begins? Nope. I love that film but it was still in the precursor. Iron Man and The Dark Knight kicked it off, The Avengers solidified it.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 1:05 pm

@yonny616 And Iron Man isn't a precursor how?
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Earth

PostSubject: Re: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 1:21 pm

Mecha wrote:
@yonny616 And Iron Man isn't a precursor how?
It's the beginning of the MCU, which is honestly a big part of the reason why we have the superhero craze right now.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 1:29 pm

@yonny616 And Batman Begins is the beginning of The Dark Knight, which is also a big part on why we have the superhero craze right now.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 1:35 pm

Mecha wrote:
@yonny616 And Batman Begins is the beginning of The Dark Knight, which is also a big part on why we have the superhero craze right now.

Iron Man began the MCU. TDK began the golden age of superhero movies. BB did neither. That's his point.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 1:40 pm

@RamboOnRedBull But Batman Begins began The Dark Knight Trilogy though.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 1:42 pm

Mecha wrote:
@RamboOnRedBull But Batman Begins began The Dark Knight Trilogy though.

TDK trilogy didn't start the trend. TDK was the only one in the trilogy that did. That's Yonny's point.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?   Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Will the U.S. Library of Congress ever consider The Dark Knight?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next