Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

The Dark Knight Returns is overrated!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

The Dark Knight Returns is overrated! R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

The Dark Knight Returns is overrated! Empty
PostSubject: The Dark Knight Returns is overrated!   The Dark Knight Returns is overrated! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 3:33 pm

I don't know why The Dark Knight Returns gets so much praise? It's not THAT great. It's more like a series of events happening, rather than telling an actual story. Frank Miller's storytelling and art style make it difficult to follow what the fuck goes on at times. Also Batman is more like Marv from Sin City, but with a Bat costume. The Dark Knight Returns is credited for bringing dark Batman to the mainstream. That's bullshit! It was Dennis O'Neil who made Batman dark again.

I can see why people may have loved The Dark Knight Returns at that time, but its pretty dated now. Not just because of the story, but the mainstream audience have a better idea on how Batman should be than they were decades ago. It would make a terrible movie if they made a live-action adaptation of it.

The Dark Knight Returns is overrated! Haveak10
Back to top Go down
Mr Canai Spy
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Mr Canai Spy

Stature : 47
Weymouth
Playing : halo 5, rise of the tomb raider

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Returns is overrated!   The Dark Knight Returns is overrated! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 5:54 pm

I can say the same about the whole of marvel phase one
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

The Dark Knight Returns is overrated! TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Returns is overrated!   The Dark Knight Returns is overrated! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 5:58 pm

Mr Canai Spy wrote:
You can say that, but it doesn't change that what you're saying is bullshit
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Returns is overrated!   The Dark Knight Returns is overrated! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 6:38 pm

Mr Canai Spy wrote:
That's overrated as well, lol. My point is, it isn't the best Batman story ever told. Think about about it...

This didn't help bring Batman to the mainstream...

The Dark Knight Returns is overrated! 13974510

This did...

The Dark Knight Returns is overrated! Photo10
Back to top Go down
Mr Canai Spy
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Mr Canai Spy

Stature : 47
Weymouth
Playing : halo 5, rise of the tomb raider

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Returns is overrated!   The Dark Knight Returns is overrated! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 6:46 pm

Maybe not the best batman story but it will be remembered as a timeless classic, marvel universe is just a fad though, good films but they will eventually fizzle out
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Returns is overrated!   The Dark Knight Returns is overrated! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 6:58 pm

It's kinda dated though. Hell, it's not even canon. I just don't see the younger generation of Batman fans getting into it as much. Also Frank Miller makes Superman look like an asshole.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

The Dark Knight Returns is overrated! PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Returns is overrated!   The Dark Knight Returns is overrated! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 8:15 pm

@Mecha How is it dated? Who cares if it isn't canon? Lol they probaby won't be reading the comic, but I know countless "young" kids who love the animated films. Well at least you said something right.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Returns is overrated!   The Dark Knight Returns is overrated! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 9:10 pm

It's dated because of the time period its set in, and the story itself just doesn't hold well by today's standards. Also the animated films are completely different. In the comics, it's difficult to follow the story sometimes with Frank Miller's writing and art style. And reading comics is suppose to be easy as fuck.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

The Dark Knight Returns is overrated! PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Returns is overrated!   The Dark Knight Returns is overrated! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 9:27 pm

That's such a bullshit excuse. Time settings don't make it dated. The writing, direction, and art style is what can get dated. Is Watchmen dated for being set in the cold war? No. Did I ever say the animated films were the same as the comics? No. The art style is pretty crappy but the book is pretty easy to follow. Who said Comics had to be easy to read? Can't comics make the reader think? It's like saying Inception isn't a good blockbuster film because it isn't as easy to follow as Transformers.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Returns is overrated!   The Dark Knight Returns is overrated! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 9:55 pm

That doesn't make sense. Writing can't get dated. It's how you tell the story that becomes dated. Also again, it isn't just the writing, its also the inconsistent art the makes it difficult to follow as well. Reading The Dark Knight Returns wasn't that hard for me either. It's just I'm not a big fan of Frank Miller's storytelling, and the story itself is all over the place. It's just a series of events happening. The story has no clear focus.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Returns is overrated!   The Dark Knight Returns is overrated! I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 1:40 am

Mecha.....you poor child
"Writing can't get outdated"
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Returns is overrated!   The Dark Knight Returns is overrated! I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 9:00 am

You know what I meant. I didn't find the writing dated. Just the story itself.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Returns is overrated!   The Dark Knight Returns is overrated! I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 12:41 pm

Because the story is set in the past it's outdated? I think that might even be more retarded than your earlier statement.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Returns is overrated!   The Dark Knight Returns is overrated! I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 12:57 pm

No. It's mostly dated because it just doesn't hold as well nowadays.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Returns is overrated!   The Dark Knight Returns is overrated! I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 1:00 pm

I think you weren't able to comprehend the subtext and metaphors
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Dark Knight Returns is overrated!   The Dark Knight Returns is overrated! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Dark Knight Returns is overrated!
Page 1 of 1