Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?

Go down 
+5
Orc
igame
TheJubJub5721
Jack the Spectre
DaSingh
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DaSingh
Non-Valued Member
Non-Valued Member

Stature : 0

Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? Empty
PostSubject: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 7:27 pm

Avenged Sevenfold sucks so bad. They're guitarists, drummer, bassist, vocalist, records, songs, image, and everything else is soooo overrated. They're not metal btw.

BQ: Favorite genres?
Mine are:
Nü (aggro) metal. Alternative metal. Industrial metal. Death metal. Technical (progressive) death metal. Groove metal. Heavy metal. Progressive metal. Thrash metal. Avant-garde (experimental) metal. Experimental rock. Industrial rock. Alternative rock. Progressive rock. Hip-hop. Drum and bass. Electronica. Jazz. Free jazz.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 9:15 pm

Amen, troll!
Back to top Go down
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 10:01 pm

You're right, they are metalcore.
Back to top Go down
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
igame

Stature : 39
in front of computer
Playing : comedy

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2011 10:04 pm

I have a hard time being able to tell the difference between all this sub genres of Metal, i can understand it if someone explains it, but i won't know if i listen to them.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 8:09 am

No you're not the only one. There are many other close minded, musically ignorant people out there who claim they're overrated.
:)

Nah jk, they are overrated these days but they are still a good band. Personally my favourite band of all time.

Quote :
I have a hard time being able to tell the difference between all this sub genres of Metal, i can understand it if someone explains it, but i won't know if i listen to them.

Well you know metal originated with bands like Black Sabbath and Judas Priest and such.
Metalcore is a subgenre of it that can be many things. Lots of metalcore is slightly poppy in some cases, even Avenged Sevenfold if you listen to Afterlife, the chorus is pretty poppy.

Metalcore can also have screams (not death growls), as in screamo screams and break downs, if you listen to old avenged sevenfold from the waking the fallen album, you have both those things.

For some reason people get screamo and death growls confused but they're very different. Screamo is generally high pitched and sort of throaty and wet sounding (for lack of a better word). Then death growls are usually deep (and done by an adult rather than a kid lmao) and well, they're produced from the diaphragm so they are more powerful and sound more like roars than screams. Listen to Lamb of God or Omnium Gatherum to hear some death growls.
Deathcore attempts to emulate the style of death metal but in the process it simplifies it so it's easier to listen to for kids (which all the fans of the genre are), and the vocalists are fucking awful, like oli sykes who attempts to do death growls but clearly can't utilize his diaphragm in the right way and ends up resorting to covering the mic to make his voice sound deeper and doing crappy little throat screams. There are also metalcore aspects in deathcore, like breakdowns and such.

Not to say breakdowns can't be done well, Pantera had a few breakdowns in some of their songs but they didn't resort to the typical simplistic open D chugging like metalcore bands.

I hope you kinda understand. I'm not sure if I explained it that well but yeah I tried Razz
Back to top Go down
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
igame

Stature : 39
in front of computer
Playing : comedy

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 9:07 am

Well that explains some of it, thanks bro for taking the time to enlighten me a little.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 9:08 am

Np. =]
Back to top Go down
Pizzy3C
Special Unit
Special Unit
Pizzy3C

Stature : 23

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 11:06 am

Favorite Band... Actually inspired me to play lead guitar and dabble around with solos...

They are technically brilliant in a time where musicality does not matter in mainstream music. A lot of people are thrown off by their simplistic instrumental style in places where there are vocals. But they are acting as a backing band for what the singer has to sing. Basically they have 1 lead instrument going at all times and everyone else compliments that. Sometimes they'll have a guitar line going with the vocals but it never overwhelms it. Their vocalist is amazing and has the most unique singing style I've heard. The people who generally like them, like them because they give you a lot of different styles of music to listen to.

They are not metal. Which is fine because I hate metal and don't see what the big deal about metal is. Their guitarist are magnificent but none of them have impressed me song writing wise and never take anything off do give anything else a place to shine, not to mention the solos are scaling up and down the fretboard at a million miles per hour :O wowwy. It shows how great you are but gives no originality... The vocals make me cry into thinking this is where music has gone to. Drummers aren't original in any fills and hardly ever take their feet of the double bass... I'd rant about the bassist, but who seriously listens to a bassist? j/k Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? 2505020059 Don't get me wrong everybody I've heard are immensely talented with their instruments (expect for the vocalists) I just don't see what the big deal about their music is...

I do like some metal bands fyi Just not the ones ppl generally like...
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 12:54 pm

I just find their songs to be so shallow. They're not terrible. In fact, I think Sounding the Seventh Trumpet, Waking the Fallen, and City of Evil are all decent albums.

They're not overrated because they're bad. They're overrated because their fans make them seem like the most talented band to ever exist.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 2:47 pm

Avenged Sevenfold is awesome. SO FUCK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 3:37 pm

They suck.

13,000 total messages on the forum. Congrats guys!
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 3:40 pm

Pizzy3C wrote:
Favorite Band... Actually inspired me to play lead guitar and dabble around with solos...

They are technically brilliant in a time where musicality does not matter in mainstream music. A lot of people are thrown off by their simplistic instrumental style in places where there are vocals. But they are acting as a backing band for what the singer has to sing. Basically they have 1 lead instrument going at all times and everyone else compliments that. Sometimes they'll have a guitar line going with the vocals but it never overwhelms it. Their vocalist is amazing and has the most unique singing style I've heard. The people who generally like them, like them because they give you a lot of different styles of music to listen to.

They are not metal. Which is fine because I hate metal and don't see what the big deal about metal is. Their guitarist are magnificent but none of them have impressed me song writing wise and never take anything off do give anything else a place to shine, not to mention the solos are scaling up and down the fretboard at a million miles per hour :O wowwy. It shows how great you are but gives no originality... The vocals make me cry into thinking this is where music has gone to. Drummers aren't original in any fills and hardly ever take their feet of the double bass... I'd rant about the bassist, but who seriously listens to a bassist? j/k Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? 2505020059 Don't get me wrong everybody I've heard are immensely talented with their instruments (expect for the vocalists) I just don't see what the big deal about their music is...

I do like some metal bands fyi Just not the ones ppl generally like...

True words!!!
I agree with everything. They inspired me to be more creative guitarwise as well :) Before them I was learning sex pistols, nirvana and green day and pretty simplistic stuff like that. Avenged Sevenfold really got me properly into guitar focused music and hell, they got me into metal in the first place really (with the exception of a few metal bands I previously liked such as Iron Maiden). They're not straight up metal, no. But they're primarily rooted in the metal genre so I consider them to be a metal band. And tbh I wouldn't say they are technically that great but they are very competent musicians and excellent songwriters. It's like Oasis. Their music is ridiculously simple but it's well written and nice to listen to. But A7X are 100x better imo. I love M Shadows vocals, I don't care what people say, it's an original style. And at the moment most of the decent bands have taken a decline into mediocrity. For example Children of Bodom and In Flames, previously wrote neo-classical, deep, intricate and beautifully crafted music have taken a turn into a much more shallow, simplistic route that is unappealing to most fans of their previous music. A7X have only been getting better. Although I think Nightmare was not as good as their self titled album or City of Evil, it's still an amazing album, showing their recent consistency. And they are diverse to such a great extent. Hell, if it wasn't for A7X I wouldn't be the person I am today. These days I listen to and appreciate music of every kind.

Btw Pizzy, when talking about metal, are you talking about that kind of technical death metal stuff like Gojira and Messhugah? If so, I'm not keen on that kind myself but if you like A7X, over time I reckon you would get into melodic death metal. They're surprisingly similar. The way the lead guitar continues behind the vocals (although there are death growls as well as clean vocals), the meticulous guitar harmonies, the emotion poured out through every note, the tasteful rather than impressive guitar solos...etc :)

Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 3:41 pm

If that's the most unique style you've ever heard..... You need to listen to more music.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 3:47 pm

Sonji wrote:
If that's the most unique style you've ever heard..... You need to listen to more music.

to be fair, they are pretty damn unique. After their self titled album was released I couldn't get enough of them. I wanted to hear more. There's nothing more exciting to me than a fresh A7X song. Hearing the riffs burst into life for the first time, the vocals pumping through the blazing guitar riffs.

So I searched endlessly for a band of a similar style, just the vocals, just the guitar.

All to no avail Sad

people keep saying they are like every other band but if that is the case how come I never found another band of even slightly similar style?
Back to top Go down
Pizzy3C
Special Unit
Special Unit
Pizzy3C

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 8:09 pm

@Lykos

Synyster Gates is a tremendously gifted guitarist... Shadows is one of the best singers out there... And Rev, R.I.P. was the most respected drummer in Rock music today... Zacky and Johnny may not be as technically sound as they should be but c'mon, rhythm guitar and bass, who cares?

Yes there are some metal bands I like- Turisas. Arch Enemy, Katatonia- Although I only like their slow, non screaming stuff so... Metallica's Black Album, Pantera (of course) I can't think of many, I don't listen to that genre so much anymore...
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 9:33 pm

Looks like Lykos found a new BFF. Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? 725796345
Back to top Go down
Pizzy3C
Special Unit
Special Unit
Pizzy3C

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 10:07 pm

Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? 2505020059 Funny how musicians generally like A7x and the kids who think they know something about music generally don't :/

j/k TRF I love you
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 4:45 pm

Pizzy3C wrote:
@Lykos

Synyster Gates is a tremendously gifted guitarist... Shadows is one of the best singers out there... And Rev, R.I.P. was the most respected drummer in Rock music today... Zacky and Johnny may not be as technically sound as they should be but c'mon, rhythm guitar and bass, who cares?

Yes there are some metal bands I like- Turisas. Arch Enemy, Katatonia- Although I only like their slow, non screaming stuff so... Metallica's Black Album, Pantera (of course) I can't think of many, I don't listen to that genre so much anymore...

Well I've seen A7X live twice so far and both times Synyster has made multiple, albeit minor fuck ups. He's got quite a way to go before I would consider him a virtuoso but I do hold him in very high regard. His music has a lot of feeling and he is a talented musician with good musical knowledge, I mean he even studied jazz. It does kind of show in some of his music.
Shadows is amazing in my eyes, he has a great vocal range (I think he's well on his way to topping Bruce Dickinson who has I think it was 4 octave vocal range including falsetto?) And although his singing style is usually the biggest criticism from the haters, come on, he's got style Razz That's like saying Tom Waits sucks but really it's subjective to the kind of music you like. Jimmy was also good but not to the point of what people make him out to be today. He managed well over 200 beats per minute drumming and he did have pretty good technique but he isn't one of the best. I think progressive drummers will always outshine the others, but then again that could be because he was cramped by A7X's style which really isn't aimed at technicality. I guess we'll never properly know. But yeah he was great.

It's too bad you can't appreciate screaming/growls. In some cases it really does add to the music. Try this if you're interested:

Back to top Go down
Pizzy3C
Special Unit
Special Unit
Pizzy3C

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 6:02 pm

just like all other metal songs I was in it til the vocals came in...

I can't tell u y I don't like those songs and I do like these song...

I'm just weird like that...
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 6:34 pm

lmao what's funny is that I don't like the first song at all, wayy to heavy for my tastes.

the second song was actually pretty good, not bad at all Razz

But when it comes to heavy music to me it's all about melancholic/deep/emotional stuff like this:

Sad Sad Sad tear jerker
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Stature : 3

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 12:52 am

Avenged Sevenfold is pretty terrible.

They just seem like another band that are trying to be dark and edgy but just come off as posers in my eyes.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 6:11 am

^
they aren't trying, they are succeeding.
And in what way are they posers?! They aren't fucking doing anything other than writing music that is good, how are they posers?!
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 12:46 pm

They need to write happier songs. All of their songs are about darkness and demons and stuff.

That just doesn't seem like good, versatile songwriting to me.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 1:19 pm

TRF wrote:
They need to write happier songs. All of their songs are about darkness and demons and stuff.

That just doesn't seem like good, versatile songwriting to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VUrskFjfhc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZF3QsWzNbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0kmnmxuRH0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TFE4OMsaBA

:)
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 3:36 pm

They've all got dark tones to them. I would like to see A7X sing a cover of "Walking on Sunshine."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?   Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Am I the only one who thinks Avenged Sevenfold is overrated?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next