Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty?

Go down 
+3
TheJubJub5721
Jack the Spectre
JosefK
7 posters
AuthorMessage
JosefK
Villager
Villager
JosefK

Stature : 3
London, England

Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty? Empty
PostSubject: Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty?   Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 4:02 pm

DICE and EA have made it quite clear that Battlefield 3 is going after Call of Duty's throne, but I'm not sure this is going to be good for Battlefield fans. A huge part of the battlefield experience is tactics; team work, coordination and planning. To appeal to the fans of COD, DICE will have to completely change the way the game plays.
Your regular killstreaker is either a drunk fratboy or a spoiled pre pubescent piece of bumfluff; people who are unable to work as a team. This is why the COD and Halo series appeals to the masses. It's easy to jump in and get a few kills, and with a few hours of dedication one could rack up an impressive K/D. Most Black Ops owners only own sports games and twitch shooters. How will these buffoons cope with a fighter jet!
Sadly it looks like this is the way Battlefield 3 is heading; look past the pretty graphics in the new 'Fault Line' trailers and you'll see the sandbox nature of the Bad Company games has disappeared, replaced by a more linear, scripted level design. The bad company series never appealed to the casual fragheads, possibly why bad company 2 sold less than 6 million units, compared to Black Ops monstrous 25 million across multiple platforms.
Its understandable that EA wants to milk it's cash cow, but surely the 6 million satisfied users of Bad Company 2 is enough! With the right marketing and aesthetics, anything can sell, look at the Wii, but should Battlefield 3 look a bit Medal of Honor this E3 I won't be happy. Lets hope DICE can disappoint the casuals this November.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty? XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty?   Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 4:17 pm

As much as I love Battlefield, you're kidding yourself if you think it's unplayable without strategy, coordination, teamwork, and planning. I've done lone wolf run-and-gun tactics many times in both Bad Company games and 1943 and I've done fine.

It's not about making Battlefield like Call of Duty, but simply making it more accessible, which I've always found Battlefield to be anyway.

And I think it's unfair to say Battlefield 3 lost its sandbox nature just based on that 12-minute preview of what is a 6+ hour campaign if I recall correctly.
Back to top Go down
JosefK
Villager
Villager
JosefK

London, England

PostSubject: Re: Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty?   Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 4:22 pm

I get your point about be able to play lone wolf, it's just not as fun. The gameplay style doesn't lend itself well. And if we didn't see ANY open area's in 12 minutes, I think it's fair to say the games been hemmed in. Another point I forgot to mention is that the bigger and more complicated the architecture is, the harder it is to pull off freeflowing destruction; that's why Red Faction: Armageddon is changing to a linear game, the devs said it themselves.
Back to top Go down
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

PostSubject: Re: Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty?   Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 4:45 pm

TRF wrote:
As much as I love Battlefield, you're kidding yourself if you think it's unplayable without strategy, coordination, teamwork, and planning. I've done lone wolf run-and-gun tactics many times in both Bad Company games and 1943 and I've done fine.

It's not about making Battlefield like Call of Duty, but simply making it more accessible, which I've always found Battlefield to be anyway.

And I think it's unfair to say Battlefield 3 lost its sandbox nature just based on that 12-minute preview of what is a 6+ hour campaign if I recall correctly.

True. You do MUCH better with a team or you're squad but from my experience playing BFBC2 and 1943 you can run off and do just fine. Also, team work is pretty non-existent in 1943.
Back to top Go down
JosefK
Villager
Villager
JosefK

London, England

PostSubject: Re: Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty?   Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 4:48 pm

I don't really count '43, Heroes or Play4Free as true Battlefield EXPERIENCES.
Back to top Go down
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

PostSubject: Re: Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty?   Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 4:51 pm

JosefK wrote:

Well 1943 is pretty much 1942 updated with Frostbyte and smaller player caps. And 1942 was one of the prime Battlefield games.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty?   Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 4:59 pm

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
True. You do MUCH
better with a team or you're squad but from my experience playing BFBC2
and 1943 you can run off and do just fine. Also, team work is pretty
non-existent in 1943.
Non-existent? Was it not you who helped me rig that bridge to explode when a tank drove over it? Non-existent my ass, we fucked over all of Japan with our teamwork.

JosefK wrote:
Yet you consider Bad Company, which is significantly smaller in scale compared to the regular series, not only a true Battlefield experience, but one a main entry like Battlefield 3 should model itself after?
Back to top Go down
JosefK
Villager
Villager
JosefK

London, England

PostSubject: Re: Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty?   Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 5:04 pm

I'm talking about linearity in the single player. No one can say that the Bad Company campaigns have been the only real Battlefield campaigns, so what else would BF3 be based on? I fully expect DICE to create open multiplayer maps, I'm worried about simplification.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty?   Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 5:05 pm

JosefK wrote:
I'm talking about linearity in the single player. No one can say that the Bad Company campaigns have been the only real Battlefield campaigns, so what else would BF3 be based on? I fully expect DICE to create open multiplayer maps, I'm worried about simplification.
I'm not worried about simplification, and you shouldn't either. Besides, I'd rather have a great linear campaign than a decent sandbox campaign like BC and BC2.
Back to top Go down
JosefK
Villager
Villager
JosefK

London, England

PostSubject: Re: Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty?   Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 5:11 pm

Were sort of getting off point. I'm saying EA are trying to be greedy into changing Battlefield into something it's not. They've already used Battlefield as there 'play4free' test dummy and sold Bad Company 2 up the river with the Medal of Honor reboot. I want Battlefield 3 to be great as much as anyone, I'm just putting forward an alternate view to those who already think it's won game of the year.
Back to top Go down
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

PostSubject: Re: Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty?   Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 5:37 pm

TRF wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
True. You do MUCH
non-existent in 1943.
Non-existent? Was it not you who helped me rig that bridge to explode when a tank drove over it? Non-existent my ass, we fucked over all of Japan with our teamwork.

Touche. 5 minutes of waiting for someone to drive over it, fully worth it.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty?   Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 5:51 pm

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
TRF wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
True. You do MUCH
non-existent in 1943.

Touche. 5 minutes of waiting for someone to drive over it, fully worth it.
Definitely. Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty? 725796345

Our teammates must've thought we were weird, just chillin' in that boat off the coast of the island for all that time. We were like freaking out when someone finally drove over it.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty?   Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 5:52 pm

You do better with teamwork in any game, including COD. That's one of the perks to not being an anti-social nutcase.
Back to top Go down
Pizzy3C
Special Unit
Special Unit
Pizzy3C

Stature : 23

PostSubject: Re: Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty?   Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 6:06 pm

I play on the PS3 and since over half the people who play on the PS3 aswell don't have mics I see no "Teamwork and Coordination" on Battlefield... I was into for a little bit with the "Real war" feeling of taking objectives in huge maps. It got old about 2 weeks in when I realized nothing I did personally affected the game, whether it be kills or objective playing.
because no matter how hard I tried it was always 1 on 12...

That said I'm definitely getting Battlefield 3 for how stunning it looks, even though I know I'll be disappointed again...
Back to top Go down
NoelX2
Final Boss
Final Boss
NoelX2

Stature : 91
Playing : SF3

PostSubject: Re: Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty?   Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 9:55 pm

Even though it may be better, I don't think it will take the throne.
And we have yet to see what MW3 is.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/XNoel2?feature=mhum
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty?   Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2011 6:22 pm

Battlefield will never be as popular as Call of Duty, because it actually requires some thinking and skill to be good at.

Call of Duty all you have to do is point and shoot rinse and repeat....and its only against people.

Battlefield you have to take range and gravity into account and you have to watch out for tanks, jeeps, aircraft, helicopter gunships and attack boats, if you are armed with an assault rifle then you better stick with engineers....promoting teamwork.

That seems to be too much work for the dumb masses so they stick to a retardedly simple shooter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty?   Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Should Battlefield 3 be going after Call of Duty?
Page 1 of 1