Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine?

Go down 
+6
Bluenose
Archduke
The_Biotic_God
Hydell
ghost23
Mecha
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine? R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine? Empty
PostSubject: When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine?   When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 3:16 am

When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine? Reaper10

Quote :
It's just one of those questions that suddenly hits you. And your answer usually is something like, "oh yeah...how's that gonna actually happen?"

As we all know, Call of Duty has been using the same engine for almost six years now. The competition - namely, DICE and EA - used that lagging to their advantage by continually promoting the fancy Frostbite 2 engine for Battlefield 3.

Now, granted, I think Infinity Ward and Treyarch have managed to get a tremendous amount of mileage out of that engine; it isn't like they never upgraded or refined it. IW really managed to make a great game with Modern Warfare 3 and most critics and gamers would agree with that. However, even the most ardent CoD fans would love to see a new engine for their beloved franchise. It could really make the series shine as bright - if not brighter - than Battlefield. But wait...don't we have a vicious circle here? A Catch .22 of sorts?

It takes time to develop a new engine. Activision would never want CoD to miss a year; the publisher wants its annual billion-dollar payday. So, if they request a new title every twelve months, how will we ever get a new engine? Will it finally get so old that even Activision is forced to take a year off? Or maybe they'll just assign development of that new engine to the "other" CoD team. In other words, maybe they'll tell Infinity Ward to create that new engine while Treyarch works on the next CoD.

Essentially, each developer has two years to make a CoD, not one. So maybe that's the way it's going to happen. But for some reason, I get this sneaking suspicion that we're going to have to wait even longer...perhaps even until the next console generation. I mean, it's not like they're losing sales because of an old engine. So if they keep breaking records, why bother, right?

Source: PSX
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ghost23

Stature : 11
Australia

PostSubject: Re: When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine?   When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 4:18 am

Not until next-generation. New engines on current generations of consoles don't actually look all that better. Battlefield 3 on consoles proves that.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine?   When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 6:35 am

Activision: :fuckthat:
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine?   When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 9:44 am

When Hell freezes over.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine?   When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 2:44 pm

Next generation.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine?   When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 4:01 pm

Hopefully, never. I want COD to be dead next generation.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine?   When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 4:15 pm

^ like that's gonna happen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine?   When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 4:25 pm

Teckno wrote:
^ like that's gonna happen.

It might. We just need someone to come up with a plan to bomb treyarch, activision, and infinity ward.

We can all dream, can't we?
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine? XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine?   When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 5:08 pm

It's definitely gonna be next-gen. New consoles are rumored to be shipping in 2012 (the Wii U we know is, the Nextbox is a rumor), meaning there will only be one more Call of Duty game on these consoles. I highly doubt a new engine will be made for that one game specifically.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine?   When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 5:12 pm

Just look how FrostBite 2.0 turned out, looks bad on consoles. They'll wait until next gen but don't expect a massive leap, it would probably cost oul Bobby and the boys to much money, and they know even if they did put out Modern Warfare 5 on the next gen consoles the "fans" would still buy it in the multi millions, regardless of how it looks or if it's not on par with the future FPS's.
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine? 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine?   When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 5:13 pm

The current engine is based off the id tech 3, so technically the could just upgrade to the id tech 4 without having to make an entirely new engine. they can just modify that engine to suit their liking. hell they should have done that when MW2 came out. And they can't use id tech 5 because Bethesda has a monopoly on it. Either way, Infinity Ward and Activision are to fat, greedy, ad lazy to either buy, modify, or build a new engine.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine?   When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 5:59 pm

chobo500 wrote:
The current engine is based off the id tech 3, so technically the could just upgrade to the id tech 4 without having to make an entirely new engine. they can just modify that engine to suit their liking. hell they should have done that when MW2 came out. And they can't use id tech 5 because Bethesda has a monopoly on it. Either way, Infinity Ward and Activision are to fat, greedy, ad lazy to either buy, modify, or build a new engine.

You have to admit that those years of optimizing the same base engine paid off. 60 FPS on consoles, very fluid controls, really epic set pieces, good graphics. I'd much rather have a game running on a tried and true engine than have it running on a buggy next gen engine.

It gives the COD developers more time and money to focus on other aspects of the game while almost guaranteeing a smooth and consistent experience (gameplay wise, maybe not connection wise) for their customers..
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine?   When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 6:23 pm

I'm with Duke on this one, i hope cod dies....more games are starting to claw their way into getting more sales going against cod.

But knowing activision they will probaby run their own product into the ground...just like guitar hero and tony hawk.
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ghost23

Stature : 11
Australia

PostSubject: Re: When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine?   When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 6:37 pm

Reaper wrote:
I'm with Duke on this one, i hope cod dies....more games are starting to claw their way into getting more sales going against cod.

I would say that is the gaming industry growing rather than people buying other games apart from cod. Sure Battlefield, Uncharted and Skyrim did better than their previous games, but it did nothing to Modern Warfare 3 sales which still grew year on year. Good signs for the industry.
Back to top Go down
Shin_Akuma
Merchant
Merchant
Shin_Akuma

Stature : 1

PostSubject: Re: When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine?   When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine? I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 7:00 pm

BUT THAT MEANS THEY WOULD HAVE TO WAIT A FEW YEARS BEFORE THE NEXT ONE
When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine? Bobby-kotick-money-bags1-259x225
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine?   When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When And How Will Call Of Duty Get A New Engine?
Page 1 of 1