Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rise of the Apps?

Go down 
+4
ashketchumistheverybest
2Sugoi2Die
Archduke
Bluenose
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Rise of the Apps? Empty
Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

Rise of the Apps? Empty
PostSubject: Rise of the Apps?   Rise of the Apps? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 7:31 pm

NPD, a research firm that tracks video game sales, reported that March hardware sales rose, but software sales plunged again. The industry cannot entirely articulate the reasons for the drop, which makes countering it all the more difficult.

Total video game sales in the U.S. fell 4% for the month to $1.53 billion. Sales of software -- i.e., the games themselves -- fell 16% to $735 million. Hardware sales moved higher by 12% to $495 million, thanks to impressive sales of Microsoft's (MSFT) Kinect and the new Nintendo 3DS, but the boost they give to the numbers probably masks a downward trend.

NPD points out that a large fraction of software sales in the video game industry have shifted into apps for smartphones and tablet computers, and those app sales are not included in the firm's numbers. The group claims that 23% of software sales in 2010 came from app sales for platforms like the iPhone.

But is it that simple? Perhaps not for major video game companies like Electronic Arts (ERTS). Many apps, like Angry Birds, sell extraordinarily well on Apple's (AAPL) iPhones. But are Angry Birds sales undermining sales of EA's sports games or Portal 2 for traditional consoles. That depends on how much people are willing to spend overall on video game software. If the figure is fairly low among a large number of gamers, the few dollars they spend per app game will cut into the sales of games played on consoles. If that's true, eventually, sales of hot consoles like Kinect will be badly hurt as the number of apps available for portable devices grows further. But, as the economy improves, so might discretionary spending on overall game software. In that case, the proliferation of games and platforms may simply pull more money from consumers' pockets.

For now, video game companies like Microsoft and EA aren't saying how much the rise of app games may be hurting them. Indeed, the industry is in such a state of flux that they may not know.

See full article from DailyFinance: http://srph.it/ec74Vv

What do you guys think? Are Apps taking the spotlight?
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

Rise of the Apps? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rise of the Apps?   Rise of the Apps? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 8:32 pm

Angry bird is fun as hell. In fact, I think that I'm going to play it right now!
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Rise of the Apps? StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

Rise of the Apps? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rise of the Apps?   Rise of the Apps? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 1:23 am

Well games like Angry is really fun but ipods, pads etc won't take down the console gaints that easily since the console market is a lot bigger now compared to last gen.
Back to top Go down
ashketchumistheverybest
Non-Valued Member
Non-Valued Member
ashketchumistheverybest

Stature : 0

Rise of the Apps? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rise of the Apps?   Rise of the Apps? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2011 6:51 am

i cant really get into any app games. i got a ipod touch and only use it for internet and music.
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Stature : 3

Rise of the Apps? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rise of the Apps?   Rise of the Apps? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 1:46 am

I haven't tried an app game that was on the same level as The World Ends With You or Hotel Dusk.

Until I see something that changes my mind, they'll always be side-dishes compared to what my DS can play.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

Rise of the Apps? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rise of the Apps?   Rise of the Apps? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 8:33 am

ashketchumistheverybest wrote:
i cant really get into any app games. i got a ipod touch and only use it for internet and music.

I got into them for a short while. Ravensword was awesome (Oblivion style game) but now I've deleted the majority of them to free up space of music, but I still need a lot more space. I'm tempted to sell my itouch to get an ipod classic with over 100gb.

The only apps I use now from time to time are:

Comics - can download over 100 free comics and buy others

TapTunes - awesome music interface/ shuffling system

Graal Online Classic - zelda style rpg

Palm Heroes - Heros of might n magic style game

Ishred - portable guitar

Ephoto chest - for...certain...photos...

Facebook - duh

thats about it :S

Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

Rise of the Apps? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rise of the Apps?   Rise of the Apps? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 11:09 am

Lykos wrote:

Facebook - duh

To talk to your pretend friends :alone:?
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

Rise of the Apps? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rise of the Apps?   Rise of the Apps? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 11:51 am

Sonji wrote:
Lykos wrote:

Facebook - duh

To talk to your pretend friends :alone:?

yes except even my pretend friends don't want to be friends with me anymore :alone:
Back to top Go down
Pein
Non-Essential NPC
Pein

Stature : -6
Macedonia

Rise of the Apps? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rise of the Apps?   Rise of the Apps? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 12:49 pm

angry birds is great but infinity blade is awesome,judging by the comments,looks like people haven't played it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rise of the Apps? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rise of the Apps?   Rise of the Apps? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rise of the Apps?
Page 1 of 1