Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year Empty
PostSubject: Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year   Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 6:51 am

Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year Ouya_22884.nphd

Quote :
Ouya, the Android-based game console that began life as a phenomenally successful Kickstarter project, is supposed to begin shipping to backers later this month. While it seems to have attracted at least some developer interest, it still has an uphill battle to fight once it moves beyond the core audience that backed the project and into the wider marketplace. During a session at Nvidia's GPU Technology Conference today, Ouya founder Julie Uhrman talked a bit about how well the console would need to perform to be considered a success in the company's eyes.

"My [definition of] success for Ouya is that we show momentum month-over-month," said Uhrman. "Every month we're selling more units, every month we're getting more games, every month people are playing those games longer, every month there is a must-have game. That's success, at least in the first year."

"My goal is for everyone who loves games to know that Ouya exists," she continued. "My goal is to have innovative, exclusive, unique content that you can't find anywhere else."

Enlarge / The Ouya console and controller, which should begin shipping to Kickstarter backers this month.
Andrew Cunningham
Uhrman also reiterated that the Ouya hardware would be upgraded "closer to the [yearly] mobile refresh rate than the console refresh rate," though she couldn't say for sure for how long past Ouya consoles would stay supported and updated when we asked. She noted that both the Ouya designers and third parties had been thinking a bit about future hardware, including accessories like motion controllers and Ouya-equipped smart TV sets or set-top boxes. However, all of these plans hinge on the console finding this initial success.

"Once we ship these units, then we can think through what a whole Ouya family of products looks like," Uhrman said. "If we don't nail this, nothing else really matters."

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/03/ouyas-founder-if-we-dont-nail-this-nothing-else-really-matters/
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year   Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 9:39 am

This will fail. It's basically a console version of an android phone, except all it does is play games. Just don't see any appeal whatsoever in this.

Ignorance, bliss, all that jazz.

Last edited by Stoney on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year   Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 3:25 pm

Stoney wrote:
This will fail. It's basically a console version of an android phone, except all it does is play games. Just don't see any appeal whatsoever in this.

It reached its kickstarter goal in 24. Looks to me as if there are plenty of people who want it. It has emulators too.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year   Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 3:45 pm

^
Exactly. It'll be like a PSP for the TV. Imagine it, psx, n64, snes, sega megadrive, dreamcast, ps2, gamecube... playing em all on one system!
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

The Gutter

PostSubject: Re: Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year   Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 6:29 pm

Sawed-Off_Orc wrote:
^
Exactly. It'll be like a PSP for the TV. Imagine it, psx, n64, snes, sega megadrive, dreamcast, ps2, gamecube... playing em all on one system!

D ....... Dreamcast ??

:amazing:

Shenmue I & II ...... ??

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year   Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 6:30 pm

rip in peace
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year   Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 7:04 pm

Stoney wrote:
Sawed-Off_Orc wrote:
^

D ....... Dreamcast ??

:amazing:

Shenmue I & II ...... ??

Spoiler:

Haha well we don't know yet if people will manage to get those particular systems, but considering it will be able to run

Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year Shadow11

and

I reckon it could run
Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year Shenmu10

I never played Shenmue sadly. It truly looks amazing and really immersive Sad
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year   Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 8:05 pm

I think it will atleast create a decent cult following of aspiring indie developers and homebrew gamers.

Also Lykos here are some tests on it's graphics performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmH_DpYMmDo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq83J1NIqQ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-cVSFyWVHc
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

The Gutter

PostSubject: Re: Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year   Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 8:18 pm

If it can, well then colour me intrigued (or buying it Razz ) .. the main thing about Shenmue, graphic fidelity wise, is the character models.

Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year Shenmue_Passport_Ryo_Hazuki_Japanese_

Look at that hair for a game released in 99'. The only truly off putting thing I can see newcomers disliking about the game is the VA, some are terrible whilst the main protag is VERY monotonousness.

Fingers crossed it can emulate what you mentioned!
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year   Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 8:30 pm

@Toxic, nice stuff but shame about the framerate issues. Hopefully they're release some compatibility patches or something.

@Stoney, I don't even care about the hair, the game just looks badass Razz
Anyway I'm pretty sure some talented modders would manage it. I mean just look how many emulators PSP has http://pspslimhacks.com/psp-emulators/
And that's a last generation handheld! I mean the OUYA is actually built for hackers in mind, so we can expect great things :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year   Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ouya console will need to succeed it's first year
Page 1 of 1