Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.

Go down 
+6
Archduke
Ihsahn
Based Sonji
Jack the Spectre
Bluenose
The_Biotic_God
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. Empty
PostSubject: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 7:11 pm

Are you happy about gaming's current state? How do you think it can improve?
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 7:22 pm

If COD and Activision die a terrible, terrible death, then I think the industry would be a much better place.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 7:27 pm

I think it's at a high-point. For the most part, we're getting good games as opposed to the 1980s when anyone could make a game and they usually sucked. The addition of online is also extending the lives of many games, making the $60 price tag more attractive.

My only issues aren't with gaming as it is now, but rather with the way it's trending. While online on the consoles is great, there are some developers who are abusing it, for example, if a developer tacks on a multiplayer to simulate longevity, or a developer who puts out an unfinished game under the assumption that they will patch it later. Some developers even go one step farther by putting DLC on the game disc and allowing people to assume that they are using their console online service.

So as it stands, I like the state of gaming right now. The market is full of quality titles on every console and in every genre. My only issues are where it's heading in regards to the online service.
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 7:39 pm

It's at an excellent moment. Innovating, new, fresh games are being made a dime a dozen unlike, as TRF said, the 80s. Gaming hasn't gotten worse, it has just taken on a new form. Sure, we're still missing that epic Zombie game which would be fucking amazing but I like how the industry is now.

Also, all this bash about Activision is lulz. Any other company would do it if they had a printing machine called Call of Duty.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 7:53 pm

Franchise milkage occurs in every form of media. Just look at classic horror films and the twenty sequels each of them get, not to mention remakes and spin-offs. The same goes for older comedies.

We don't see it as much in music, but we do often see artists collaborating for the sake of capitalizing on each others' success.

I'm not going to let Activision's greed solely decide the entire state of modern gaming.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 10:15 pm

TRF wrote:
Franchise milkage occurs in every form of media. Just look at classic horror films and the twenty sequels each of them get, not to mention remakes and spin-offs. The same goes for older comedies.

We don't see it as much in music, but we do often see artists collaborating for the sake of capitalizing on each others' success.

I'm not going to let Activision's greed solely decide the entire state of modern gaming.

I agree.

Plus Activision is not stealing money from us. It's we, the gamers, that continue to buy their rushed, re-skinned products. We are causing Activsion to be this way. If it wasn't so damn easy to milk the wallets of fragheads, then maybe the COD franchise would be better.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 10:19 pm

Sovereign Alan wrote:
TRF wrote:

I agree.

Plus Activision is not stealing money from us. It's we, the gamers, that continue to buy their rushed, re-skinned products. We are causing Activsion to be this way. If it wasn't so damn easy to milk the wallets of fragheads, then maybe the COD franchise would be better.
No, Activision would probably just scrap the franchise. Improving it would require actual work.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

Stature : 4

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 11:09 pm

It's all right in the big picture. It could be worse and great games are still being made, but I'm tired of sequels, rehashes and realism. The industry spends too much time trying to cash in on the next big thing (and that is, right now, shooters) rather than just diversifying. And it's all driven by the consumers.

Here's a pretty good video on bullshit sequels.

Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 11:40 pm

Decent.

Sony needs to stop lying about Geohotz.

There are many great games coming out of great devs, especially independent games.

Online gaming could be better.

It's bullshit that EA makes you pay to play online with used games.

Activision and COD need to die.

FPS genre needs to take a step back and let other genres take over.

Microsoft needs to buy more devs, instead of relying on timed DLC. They make more $$$$$ than Sony does, yet they BARELY have any exclusives anymore.

Steam is destroying everything with its deals.

Nintendo pretty much abandoned their core audience with the Wii, which brought casual gamers to the industry.

Companies are getting lazy by having unfinished games as an excuse to buy DLC.

Last gen was better.

If it wasn't for games series like Super Mario Galaxy, Mass Effect, Assassins Creed and Uncharted, this would be the an awful generation.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 12:12 am

Sovereign Alan wrote:
TRF wrote:

I agree.

Technically, they are. They are the reason XBL is 60$.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Stature : 3

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 2:37 am

I don't think games are mature for the most part. Almost every game seems to be about shooting shit, killing shit, and exploding shit.

It's like the industry is being run by Michael Bay's retarded little brother.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 8:18 am

Well lets see from it company wise:

Microsoft could've easily owned sony yet they fucked up
Sony has lost shitload of profit so they fucked up themself instead of the gamers.
Nintendo has become the joke of the industry because they refused to give a damn standard controller to every game.
Activision has brought a dominating genre making it harder for developers to stand out with the games they worked so hard on.
EA only makes advertisements making fun of its compitition instead of actually showing of their own games.
Square enix, Konami and Capcom seems to be stuck in the past and cannot compete with modern games anymore nor can they bring the oldskool gaming back.

The only company that isnt being a huge asshole or is failing in the industry seems to be valve with their awesome steam deals.

However gaming wise this was a great generation: bioshock, gears of war, uncharted, demon souls, super mario galaxy, assassins creed, fallout 3.
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

LittleBigP

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 11:28 am

Ihsahn wrote:
It's all right in the big picture. It could be worse and great games are still being made, but I'm tired of sequels, rehashes and realism. The industry spends too much time trying to cash in on the next big thing (and that is, right now, shooters) rather than just diversifying. And it's all driven by the consumers.

Here's a pretty good video on bullshit sequels.

Castlevaaaaaaaaaaaaniaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, you motherfuckas know you can't haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaandle this.

Trevor Belmont, FTW.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 4:28 pm

Teckno wrote:
Sovereign Alan wrote:
TRF wrote:

I agree.

Technically, they are. They are the reason XBL is 60$.

Actually, we don't know that for sure. It's just assumed Activision indirectly raised the prices since they've been taking a chunk of the subcription.
Back to top Go down
ArchAngel
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ArchAngel

Stature : 20
Heaven
Playing : Sarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 2:12 pm

Personally, I couldnt care less about the industry.As long as good games come out.People complain too much abotu the FPS's taking over the industry but when I go to EB games to look around, I see plenty of RPG's and non-shooters.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 3:06 pm

Zeratul wrote:
Personally, I couldnt care less about the industry.As long as good games come out.People complain too much abotu the FPS's taking over the industry but when I go to EB games to look around, I see plenty of RPG's and non-shooters.
You should care about the industry. Its good health is the reason you see plenty of RPGs and non-shooters. Back in the 1980s, the video game industry became over-saturated with bad games because the companies thought that gamers would buy them solely based on brand loyalty. In fact, the stores selling them were so confident that many of them offered a quality guarantee or the customer's money back . . . the customers got their money back. These games sat for months upon months with no one buying them. Game stores went out of business and the industry as a whole basically collapsed, which forced developers that were actually good to close up shop because no one was buying their games.

Now think, the whole industry collapsed in the 1980s (before Nintendo revived it with their now meaningless Seal of Quality) due to an assumption of the presence undying brand loyalty in the consumer base. Stuff like that is beginning to happen now, mainly with Activision. While I don't think the industry will collapse, I do think assuming brand loyalty is a big mistake and could lead to some big issues down the road. In fact, it already did, with Guitar Hero and DJ Hero being canceled, as well as games like True Crime: Hong Kong.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 3:11 pm

TRF wrote:
Zeratul wrote:
You should care about the industry. Its good health is the reason you see plenty of RPGs and non-shooters. Back in the 1980s, the video game industry became over-saturated with bad games because the companies thought that gamers would buy them solely based on brand loyalty. In fact, the stores selling them were so confident that many of them offered a quality guarantee or the customer's money back . . . the customers got their money back. These games sat for months upon months with no one buying them. Game stores went out of business and the industry as a whole basically collapsed, which forced developers that were actually good to close up shop because no one was buying their games.

Now think, the whole industry collapsed in the 1980s (before Nintendo revived it with their now meaningless Seal of Quality) due to an assumption of the presence undying brand loyalty in the consumer base. Stuff like that is beginning to happen now, mainly with Activision. While I don't think the industry will collapse, I do think assuming brand loyalty is a big mistake and could lead to some big issues down the road. In fact, it already did, with Guitar Hero and DJ Hero being canceled, as well as games like True Crime: Hong Kong.
You will have to remember that the gaming industry of today is far stronger then back in the 80's when it was still a developing industry. I bet that call of duty will just die in the next gen and that another genre takes over.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

Stature : 4

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 3:31 pm

It'll die if it gets help from other games, I think.
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Stature : 3

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 6:19 pm

TRF wrote:
Zeratul wrote:

My hero says the industry will crash.

Do I believe him? Yes. Because he's my hero.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15732_life-after-video-game-crash.html
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

LittleBigP

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 11:05 pm

Cracked is your hero?

You need to meet new people.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 11:17 pm

TheUltimateDouche wrote:
Cracked is your hero?

lulz
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 6:06 pm

TheUltimateDouche wrote:
Cracked is your hero?

Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 7:07 pm

TheUltimateDouche wrote:
Cracked is your hero?

He's talking about David Wong.
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

LittleBigP

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 7:09 pm

BlackStigma wrote:
TheUltimateDouche wrote:
Cracked is your hero?

He's talking about David Wong.

Ah, the definition of a hero in society has died :/

A hero in society is now someone who has to do as little as be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Get shot and live to tell about it? U A HERO BRO.
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 9:23 pm

How do i feel?

I feel devs need to take more pride in their work instead of releasing broken games and then sticking a band-aid (patch) on it later.

I feel too much emphasis goes into the online of a game and not enough into singleplayer.

On the flip side i feel that some online modes are rushed and tacked on and were put there simply to add some DLC later on....no doubt already on the disc.

I feel nothing about the ammount of FPS, i found the solution to the ammount of them was to not buy the ones i didnt want. Problem solved.

I feel there should be more risk-take games like Heavy Rain because IMO that game is one of the best i've played this gen.

I feel devs should be using the potential of each console to the full instead of this make all versions of the game look the same, bullshit. Command and Conquer on the Nintendo 64 looked different to the PC and PS1 versions etc.

I feel this whole motion controller thing is not ready for full fledged hardcore gaming yet. Controllers are still the easiest and most accurate way to play games, its not broke so dont try to fix it.

I feel online communication is one of the cornerstones of this gen and that all corporations should provide you with everything you need out of the box aka a mic (im looking at you Sony) and make extra features like cross chat/party chat etc an optional choice with a fee (im looking at you MS)

Thats about all i can think of right now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.   Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Let's Talk: How do YOU feel about the game industry.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next