Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry

Go down 
+7
2Sugoi2Die
Bluenose
Mecha
Archduke
Stoney
Jack the Spectre
Chobo
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry Empty
PostSubject: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:09 pm

Short Version: COD and Gears need to die because they represent everything that is wrong with the Video game Industry. They are causing every game to transform into clones of those games, and are turning new games into a bland generic slush that's just going to cause another Video Game Crash.

Long Version: First, Let's start with the Franchise that Everyone loves to hate, Call of Duty.

Everybody here hates it and knows the faults with it.

But the main reason why I hate it is because what it is doing to other games in the same Genre.

It's transforming most games into a bland generic modern shooter with only 4-Hour Single Player, and something that the dev just tacked on because People just need a single player, and with most of the focus going to the Multi-Player.

There is just too much of a focus on Multi-Player these days and almost every Single Player campaign is turning into sort of an On-rails arcade Light Gun game with Michael Bay esce Explosive set pieces and all this other Hollywood Blockbuster crap.

I know that devs want to take a piece of the COD pie, but when every game transforms into a COD clone, There's really no reason to buy all these other games when the COD fans won't touch them and will just keep playing COD anyway.

Examples:

Resistance 2

Killzone 3

Crysis 2

Halo Reach

Now let's talk about Gears of War.

I know a lot of people on this site love Gears, and I'm not going to be bashing the game directly.

Like COD, every single game seems to be transforming into gears clones.

With Muscley men with grey colors and chest high wall, hiding behind to shoot.

It's really annoying to see all of these RPGs and TPS and Horror games just turning into a bunch of Gears clones.

Like I said earlier, The Fans of COD and Gears usually are not going to be interested in these games and just write them off ass clones, and go back to playing COD or Gears.

Examples:

Mass Effect 3

Dead Space 3

Resident Evil 5

Resident Evil 6

Both of the franchises are just killing the video game industry and if the trend of turning games into COD or Gears Clones continues, We're probably going to have another Video Game crash.

And when that happens, I will be laughing and everyone responsible for letting it happen.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:35 pm

Sorry these games don't appeal to YOU. You know, millions and millions of people buy Call of Duty and Gears of War, so that kind of game appeals to a lot of people. Of course other companies are going to want to appeal to what the majority of gamers like. Sorry you're not in the majority. I forgot the gaming industry was all about pleasing you.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:46 pm

You're right Chobo, Mass Effect and Dead Space had a pretty good size audience and their respective communities have been fucked up arse hole, they don't care about their original fanbase, the ones that made sequels possible. I'm not a fan of FPS games so I don't care much for them, as a fan of Mass Effect and Dead Space, I was gutted to see EA give the middle finger to the fanbase, EVERYTHING must be dumbed down in order to appeal to the handicapped market, the ones who can only count past ten when they take their shoes and socks off, in other words, the CoD fanbase.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 2:48 pm

why would you want CoD to die??? i know i dont. the problem here is not the the companies , its the people that actually buy these fucking games. the ENTIRE COD community is CANCER. its full of 12 year olds, assholes, & manchilds. & frankly i dont want to play with these fucking people. these people need to be CONTAINED, they need to be QUARANTINED from the rest of the online gaming community. & CoD is perfect for that. because flying spaghetti monster forbid these bastards start playing an actually decent online shooter. so the next time COD sells 50 million copys, i will applaud them, because every copy sold, is one less fucker i have to worry about ruining good games
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 3:36 pm

It still mindfucks me that Cod sells more every year and yet it gets worse every year. Each new Installment since MW2 has been complete and utter shit. :areyoufuckingk
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

PostSubject: Re: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 3:44 pm

TheCinemaJack wrote:
Sorry these games don't appeal to YOU. You know, millions and millions of people buy Call of Duty and Gears of War, so that kind of game appeals to a lot of people. Of course other companies are going to want to appeal to what the majority of gamers like. Sorry you're not in the majority. I forgot the gaming industry was all about pleasing you.

I'm fine with COD and Gears existing and having games around that have similar mechanics as COD and Gears. But when you take a franchise, Like Splinter Cell, Resident Evil, Mass Effect, or Dead Space, Decide scrap everything that made the franchise original, and replace it with generic COD and Gears Mechanics, pretty much slap the original fan base of the franchise in the face, THAT'S UNACCEPTABLE! If every single game becomes a clone of COD or Gears, People won't buy them because they're just clones and just keep playing COD or Gears, They flop, the Devs loose money, sales decline, and we have another Video Game crash on our hands.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 5:44 pm

A developer owes nothing to its original fanbase. I have no qualms with a studio making its game more accessible to other groups of people. Gamers today have this horribly annoying idea that the gaming industry OWES them something. I hate that self-entitlement.

Also, the video game crash occurred for a lot of reasons, one of them being that the console market and game market became overly saturated to the point where nobody was profiting, and this came as a result of the lack of licensing required to make games. Nowadays you need a developer kit to make a game for the 360 or PS3, but back then, you could just make any game you wanted for a console, even if the manufacturer didn't know about it, and throw the game on store shelves. We're not even close to the point where there are no profits, and expanding a game's appeal, in today's modern gaming market, hasn't killed the sales of games.

Don't use economics as an excuse to complain that game studios aren't catering specifically to you.
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

PostSubject: Re: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 6:20 pm

TheCinemaJack wrote:
A developer owes nothing to its original fanbase. I have no qualms with a studio making its game more accessible to other groups of people. Gamers today have this horribly annoying idea that the gaming industry OWES them something. I hate that self-entitlement.

You did not just say that.

The developer owes EVERYTHING to the fanbase. We bought their goddamn game! We're the reason it got popular! We tell people about it! We give them feedback! We mod their game! We tell them it there is a problem!

It is unacceptable for a dev to up and abandon the very fans that got them were they are today.

They abandon us, we abandon them.

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 6:40 pm

Chobo wrote:
TheCinemaJack wrote:

The developer owes EVERYTHING to the fanbase. We bought their goddamn game! We're the reason it got popular! We tell people about it! We give them feedback! We mod their game! We tell them it there is a problem!

It is unacceptable for a dev to up and abandon the very fans that got them were they are today.

this. shame on you thecinemajack, shame on you. how can you call yourself a gamer. Neutral that attitude is whats killing "true" gaming
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 6:48 pm

He's Jewish. Give him a break.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 7:01 pm

Chobo wrote:
TheCinemaJack wrote:

Good jaysus, Jackie boy, terrible form, BioWare would be NOTHING without their original fanbase and they gave them the middle finger with Dragon Age II and Mass Effect 3, dur dur, shoot, spolsions, AWESOME SET PIECE! DOOODE! HUUUR, CHEST HIGH WALLS, "when you press a button, something awesome has to happen, button=awesome". <-- Exact words from the marketing for Dragon Age II.

They owe everything as Chobo said, every damn thing because without their original fanbase they would be nothing but a guy with a useless degree.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 7:26 pm

My attitude isn't killing gaming. Gaming isn't dying. It's self-entitled gamers that think it's dying because not every game is being made for them.

A studio that solely focuses on their original fanbase and doesn't try to expand is fiscally and creatively irresponsible. I can't blame a studio that tries to make their game appeal to more people.

And Mecha, please, keep making nonsensical Jewish jokes despite the fact that I'm not even Jewish. It's much easier for you to do than make actual points.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 7:42 pm

Contrary to popular belief, expanding your fanbase without giving a middle finger to your original is possible. Games like Super Smash Bros prove that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 7:44 pm

@Jackie

So you're not good at using the cash register then?
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

PostSubject: Re: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 8:27 pm

Teckno wrote:
Contrary to popular belief, expanding your fanbase without giving a middle finger to your original is possible. Games like Super Smash Bros prove that.

Exactly. I don't mind if games borrow a few mechanics here and there and improve on the game play. It's only when they completely change the game play only to appeal to a different audience and piss off the original fanbase is where I draw the line.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 11:03 pm

Again, studios aren't out to please you. They shouldn't be tied down by their original fanbase. So I apologize if they want to target a different market, but that's their decision. There are other people in the world who will enjoy an action-oriented entry into the Resident Evil, Splinter Cell, or Dead Space series. Sales prove that people enjoy action-based shooters and all that.

Mecha wrote:
@Jackie

So you're not good at using the cash register then?
I don't think I've ever used a cash register in my life. You know, throwing out an insult or joke is fine and dandy when you actually have a point to make, but you never seem to so you just skip to a Jewish joke right away and say nothing else, not that anything you say is ever worth listening to.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 11:20 pm

Thing is though, you're not thinking like a gamer. You're basically saying it's about quantity not quality. You sound like you work for the company or something, which wouldn't surprise me. I love you
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 11:34 pm

When did I say it was about quantity over quality? I'm saying that even though I may not like the direction a series is going, plenty of people do, and I'm not going to expect that the studio adjust it for me over everyone else. Like I said, the studio owes nothing to its original fanbase. That fanbase didn't make the company like it was charity. They liked the company's product and bought it. Simple as that. The studio shouldn't be held down by a demand to appease the same people who bought their games initially. They should make games for whoever the hell they want, and if that's not you, then sorry chum. There's nothing wrong with making a game that more people are interested in.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 1:19 am

I guess you're right. Killzone 3 and Resistance 3 obviously did so well that it would be stupid for the publishers not to continue ripping off Call of Duty.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 1:50 am

Well they were both good games. Whether or not they sell is based on marketing. Guerrilla Games and Insomniac Games can try again, or realize that their efforts weren't appreciated and go to a different market.

Gaming seems to be the only media form where moving to a new market is discouraged. But of course, studios should only make games for their initial audience. God, you guys are like that psycho girlfriend meme.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 2:15 am

By your logic, The Expendables 2 should be PG-13, so that the studio can reach a wider audience.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 2:17 am

I'm not saying it SHOULD be. I'm saying I don't blame them if they do, and they certainly don't OWE me an R-rating for the film.
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 2:17 am

You buy a product, you get what you pay for.

Funny how much people will demand for something different and when that different comes, no one wants it because it is not what they wanted and continue to play their mainstrem titles which they were complaining about.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 2:18 am

It's because most gamers love to complain when their feelings of self-entitlement are challenged.
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 2:25 am

Some people just need to pull their tumbes out of their arses and support developers who are trying to make a difference.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry   Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why COD and Gears are ruining the Game Industry
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next