Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

Official Metal Gear Solid Thread

Go down 
+6
Bluenose
Archduke
Jack the Spectre
RamboOnRedBull
Mecha
Orc
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Official Metal Gear Solid Thread   Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 8:26 pm

1 & 2. yea its a good feature, but its not really a big deal since you arent going to be walking up to them head on. youll walk to them from behind, so it doesnt really make a difference.

3. 3d isnt a strong point of this game. all reviews ive read have not given a rats ass about it

4. are you really going to fight this? Razz

>The graphics are superior in 3DS cutscenes

no, only the face & hair.

>and considering the cutscenes take up a good 50% of the game, that's far superior to your dirt on Snake's ass and better draw distance for "grazz"

it isnt "far superior" its 50% so they are BOTH important. dirt on snakes ass is awsome. & farther render distances for grazz is important, as it can affect gameplay, since youll be hopping from grazz 2 grazz.

>especially when 3DS seems to have better colour.

lol no Razz

Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 Mgs10

example 1: snakes uniform

its suppose to be olive green, not gray

vita
Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 Mgs_vi10

3DS
Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 Mgs_3d10

example 2: snakes boot knife sheath

the vitas sheath looks like real leather, while the 3DSs looks like dried nutsack

vita
Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 Mgs_vi11

3DS
Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 Mgs_3d11

> (Then again you've not played the game, you're getting your info from a low quality off-screen video so what would you know?)

you also have not played the vita version. aslo, that video is available in 720p. its not "shitty". it does a very good job @ comparing the 2 side by side.

>And contrary to what you say, it's not just the hair, the character models on the 3DS version actually look better overall aside from the resolution.

no

>PICTURES

were those pictures suppose to help you? 1, they arent the same scene. 2, DEAR MOTHER OF GOD LOOK AT THOSE JAGGIES AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

hopefully that ends the graphics discussion once & for all

5. you would if you knew how good the sounds are.

6. that came out wrong. i meant the shooting. in the vita version you look down the sights of the guns to shoot. not just point in a general direction

7. it isnt

8. all reviews have stated that the controls are cumbersome & not precise.

9. the vita doesn't have this problem with its 5" OLED multi-touch screen.

>you only have limited screen space and you need to be able to spot enemies from afar, so 3DS is superior here because the GUI doesn't get in the way.

no, the vita is superior here since it has a wider field of view & farther rendering distance

& the frame rate on the 3DS makes the game unplayable at times.

Last edited by shigdig on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Official Metal Gear Solid Thread   Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 8:32 pm

OH SHIT JUST GOT SERIOUS!
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Dam_Noir
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Dam_Noir

Stature : 39
England

PostSubject: Re: Official Metal Gear Solid Thread   Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 8:52 pm

No offense Lykos but I own the HD collection for the Vita and it's brilliant, it's simply not some sort of second rate bollocks you're making it out to be. Far from it.

I'm not going to trash talk the 3DS version as i've not played it, because as shigdig said no proper MGS fan is really bothered about it. But I will take issue with some of your claims against the Vita version.

4. You criticise shig because he made a point against the 3DS version having not played it but you also claim the 3DS version has better colour. So I have to ask, have you played the Vita version to clarify this? Because the 5 inch OLED display on the Vita looks fantastic as well as this game when it's played on it.

6. Second class Vita version? The use of both third and first person views (aiming down the sights etc) on the Vita version is exactly the same as they are on the original game and the HD collection on current gen consoles. So are they also second class versions?

8. The Vita version also utilizes the front touch screen to switch between weapons and items. The rear touch pad doesn't interfere with the gameplay at all because this game doesn't even use it for anything. The use of dual analogue sticks works perfectly on the Vita just like it does on the console versions and is in no way too sensitive, which makes me question again whether you have actually played the Vita version?

Final point regards the controls, I certainly don't miss the MGS days on the PSP when you could only use one thumbstick and the 3DS version will no doubt still suffer from this problem in some fashion. So for all it's extra gimmicks of having your map displayed on another screen to save you pausing the game every once in a while to check it (which I rarely do as I know these games like the back of my hand). Personally i'd rather have the precision controls by having the second thumbstick this game originally intended to use if i'm honest.

9. The life bar, camo index and equipped item / weapon slots take up no more of the screen than they do on the console versions, it's not like the icons are bigger on the Vita or anything like that. Also they are all located in the corners where they don't obstruct your view in the slighest. Simply put it's the MGS GUI which any fan of the series is accustomed to and it would honestly feel strange without it.

Finally considering the Vita's display is 5 inches to the 3DS' 3.5 then even despite the use of the GUI there is still more to be seen on the Vita display than the 3DS'.

EDIT*

After watching the last video shig posted: (which is screen captured game footage on a 720p video)

The general look of the Vita version is superior and I can't see how you can claim the 3DS' cutscenes look better than the Vita's? It's clear the only thing that was improved was the faces and that accounts for a fraction of whats going on during a cutscene and in every other area it's inferior graphically.

Couple that along with the issue of a lack of an intended second thumbstick I mentioned earlier I honestly don't see how you can say the 3DS has superior graphics and controls?

However I am impressed with how good MGS3 looks on the 3DS if i'm honest and I like the inclusion of the Peace Walker crouch sneaking feature, they did a decent job by the looks of it.

Last edited by Dam_Noir on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/theblacknapalm
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Official Metal Gear Solid Thread   Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 12:11 am

fucking owned.you came to the wrong thread lykos, which is ironic because you made this thread.

run along now, the big boys have matters to discuss.

now Noir, on the subject of the phantom pain, im having a hard time believing its a vita title as your theory suggests.(as much as u & i want it to be true) the graphics look way to good. however i could be wrong, since i dont think that weve seen the vitas full extent in terms of graphics.

Last edited by shigdig on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Official Metal Gear Solid Thread   Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 12:31 am

Obviously Lykos start these debates to increase posts. Because there is no way he can be this illogical. Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 725796345
Back to top Go down
Dam_Noir
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Dam_Noir

England

PostSubject: Re: Official Metal Gear Solid Thread   Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 5:19 am

shigdig wrote:
now Noir, on the subject of the phantom pain, im having a hard time believing its a vita title as your theory suggests.(as much as u & i want it to be true) the graphics look way to good. however i could be wrong, since i dont think that weve seen the vitas full extent in terms of graphics.

Reasons why I believe The Phantom Pain will be a Vita title.

1. The ending of the reveal trailer shows an outline of what appears to read Metal Gear Solid V, however no game in the Metal Gear Solid series has ever used roman numerals for numbering before. So the V could actually stand for Vita instead of 5.

2. When The Phantom Pain trailer was released the initial screenshots for the game shown on the fictional Moby Dick Studios website were displayed in the Vita's native resolutuion and were later re-uploaded in a larger resolution.

3. Kojima is a proven supporter of Sony handheld consoles, he has gone on record to say how much he loves the Vita since it was released.

4. If The Phantom Pain isn't a Vita title then it would be very unusual to have two MGS games released on the same system(s) so close to one another (considering there is only a 3 month gap between Ground Zeroes and The Phantom Pain reveal trailers.)

5. The blurring effect on The Phantom Pain trailer could be used to mask the graphical limitations of the Vita compared to the Ground Zeroes trailer which is running on current Gen consoles.

6. Ground Zeroes is supposed to take place after Peace Walker whereas fans are speculating that The Phantom Pain will take place during the time of Big Boss' coma which was before Peace Walker, which indicates two seperate games arguably like MGS3 and MGS: PW.

7. Of all the developers who made games for the PSP I honestly believe Konami / Kojima Productions did the best job with Portable Ops followed up by Peace Walker. For example you could tell the graphics on Peace Walker were roughly in the same ball park as the MGS games released on last generation consoles and the PSP never had as much graphical potential that the Vita has, so I see no reason why a MGS Vita title graphically couldn't be in the same ball park as current gen consoles.

8. The Ground Zeroes trailer is simply visually superior to The Phantom Pain trailer which indiactes the differing hardware each game trailer is designed to run on.

9. Based on my experience of owning a PSP, if anyone is going to push the Vita somewhere near it's full potential then it's Kojima.

10. When I first saw the trailer for Killzone: Mercenary I was very impressed at how close Guerrilla Games have come to making a Vita game look like it's console counterparts so I can't doubt the system's potential.

Disclaimer: I don't make mistakes, I make prophecies that immediately turn out to be wrong.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: Official Metal Gear Solid Thread   Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 7:24 am

shigdig wrote:
1 & 2. yea its a good feature, but its not really a big deal since you arent going to be walking up to them head on. youll walk to them from behind, so it doesnt really make a difference.

If an enemy spots you, in Vita you can just crouch in the grass and hope they don't see you.
If an enemy spot you, in 3DS you can crouch, walk through the grass to a nearby tree or something to get around the enemy as they're searching the grass for you.

3. 3d isnt a strong point of this game. all reviews ive read have not given a rats ass about it

What reviews have you read? The 3D looks stunning at some points. And regardless of whether you personally want to like it or not, at least you are given a choice with 3DS. And it IS an improvement over regular/2D, especially in cutscenes where a character is brandishing their gun or pointing it near the screen, and close ups and whatnot. Also when crawling (as in prone) through the grass or walking in narrow areas, the 3D truly impresses as it gives the impression that you are genuinely walking through there yourself.

4. are you really going to fight this? Razz

>The graphics are superior in 3DS cutscenes

no, only the face & hair.

>and considering the cutscenes take up a good 50% of the game, that's far superior to your dirt on Snake's ass and better draw distance for "grazz"

it isnt "far superior" its 50% so they are BOTH important. dirt on snakes ass is awsome. & farther render distances for grazz is important, as it can affect gameplay, since youll be hopping from grazz 2 grazz.

Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 Snake-Eater-comparison

3DS version vs PS2 original version. Clearly the 3DS version looks superior even in texture quality. Considering the Vita version isn't even a remake, is just an HD port that means the 3DS version still has superior texture quality and detail

Plus, fuck yo grazz (which is probably bullshit that you're trying to make up because you have no other argument.

This is what the texture and lighting quality of Vita's grazz is Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 A7ad2405ffa6055a9e8021807dbf3c58009a676c.jpg__620x350_q85_crop_upscale

And 3DS: Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 Metal_gear_solid_snake_eater_3d_23_605x

Also this may be wrong, but I read on a forum somewhere that the animal's and such are better designed on 3DS?

>especially when 3DS seems to have better colour.

lol no Razz

Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 Mgs10

example 1: snakes uniform

its suppose to be olive green, not gray

That's a shit video. My version does not look like that. By the way 0:16 of that video, compare the trouser legs on both games. That's right... Superior texture detail on the 3DS' (because the whole character models are improved). Look at those creases. It's not just the faces but the actual character models and details in general. Yet again, 3DS version is a remake so they've actually improved elements. The Vita version is just an HD port.

vita
Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 Mgs_vi10

3DS
Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 Mgs_3d10

example 2: snakes boot knife sheath

the vitas sheath looks like real leather, while the 3DSs looks like dried nutsack

Nitpick. It's a bad off-screen picture. Of course it won't capture the colour.

vita
Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 Mgs_vi11

3DS
Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 Mgs_3d11

> (Then again you've not played the game, you're getting your info from a low quality off-screen video so what would you know?)

you also have not played the vita version. aslo, that video is available in 720p. its not "shitty". it does a very good job @ comparing the 2 side by side.

>And contrary to what you say, it's not just the hair, the character models on the 3DS version actually look better overall aside from the resolution.

no

I have not played the Vita version, however at least I get my shit right. What's this about not being able to shoot in first person mode? HAHAHAHAHA

>PICTURES

were those pictures suppose to help you? 1, they arent the same scene. 2, DEAR MOTHER OF GOD LOOK AT THOSE JAGGIES AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

hopefully that ends the graphics discussion once & for all

Nope, yet again. 2:04 look at the texture detail. You can actually see bricks on the 3DS version, not just a big stretched low quality texture.
2:15 higher quality texture on the roof of the tiles
Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 2012-06-26-202254 Holy shit is that meant to be a tree?

Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 3dsgraphicsoldvsnew2010

And Edge magazine said the 3DS one looks better as well “Packed with detail, both in terms of it’s environments and mechanics, this is a game that pays back investment in spades. MGS3 is a moden classic – the tighest, smartest and most emotional journey in the series – and even the HD update doesn’t look as good as this portable treatment.”

But I'm sure someone who's played both versions doesn't know as much as you I love you

5. you would if you knew how good the sounds are.

Fraid I don't. But why would they put inferior sounds if they thought they were that good?

6. that came out wrong. i meant the shooting. in the vita version you look down the sights of the guns to shoot. not just point in a general direction

No it didn't you had no idea that there's first person perspective. HAHA. Fail. And errr you look down the sight of the gun to shoot in 3DS as well actually.... You really have no argument do you?

7. it isnt

8. all reviews have stated that the controls are cumbersome & not precise. The vita one perhaps. The control scheme has been praised for 3DS thanks to the wonderful touch screen and interface and saving hours of extra wasted gameplay by not having to go into the start menu all the time.

9. the vita doesn't have this problem with its 5" OLED multi-touch screen.

>you only have limited screen space and you need to be able to spot enemies from afar, so 3DS is superior here because the GUI doesn't get in the way.

no, the vita is superior here since it has a wider field of view & farther rendering distance

We're still talking about handhelds here so the screen still isn't ideal for a game like this, and honestly I don't see farther rendering distance. Can you please point it out? When playing MGS 3D I can see grazz from far off, it's how I know where to hide.

& the frame rate on the 3DS makes the game unplayable at times.

I didn't even notice framerate issues till 10 hours into the game! They aren't issues because they don't affect gameplay. It feels a bit slow for a split second but it's no slower than when Snake is walking on raised ground.

Back to top Go down
Dam_Noir
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Dam_Noir

England

PostSubject: Re: Official Metal Gear Solid Thread   Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 7:46 am

Care to respond to my post regards this Lykos?

Ramzan_Kadyrov wrote:
And Edge magazine said the 3DS one looks better as well “Packed with detail, both in terms of it’s environments and mechanics, this is a game that pays back investment in spades. MGS3 is a moden classic – the tighest, smartest and most emotional journey in the series – and even the HD update doesn’t look as good as this portable treatment.”

But I'm sure someone who's played both versions doesn't know as much as you I love you

Is Edge magazine the only credible reviewer?

A Eurogamer article is more harsh about the 3DS version than what Edge is about the HD collection.

Quote :
The Metal Gear Solid HD Collection for PlayStation Vita brings two of the most highly regarded PS2 titles ever made onto Sony's beautiful new handheld, scoring highly by default owing to the underlying, timeless brilliance of the original games. They were stunning on PS2 and beautiful on the HD consoles - only the overly compromised 3DS version of MGS3 proved disappointing.

Also using PS2 screenshots to prove your point is rather deceptive, especially considering the improved resolution and image quality of the HD collection.

Ramzan_Kadyrov wrote:
I have not played the Vita version, however at least I get my shit right.

Like making false accusations that the Vita's analogue stick is too sensitive? Or that the rear touch pad interferes a lot, having Snake stab a fair bit unintentionally even though the rear touch pad isn't even used in this game? Seriously stop talking shit pal...

It seems to me you only like what comes on the 3DS version of this game and you keep trying to put down the other versions whether it be the original or the HD collection calling them things like "second class". Regardless of what I think of the 3DS version as fan of the Metal Gear Solid series I wouldn't say the 3DS version is shit because it's still Metal Gear Solid 3 when all is said and done, yet considering your pro 3DS agenda the same cannot be said about you can it?
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Official Metal Gear Solid Thread   Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 9:56 am

Eh I'm prepared to admit when I'm wrong. Especially since I've not played the Vita version. You guys can go have a pint and celebrate your victory. Vita's port is just as good.

But still, the control scheme & 3D & Peace Walker gameplay is a great bonus for the 3DS version.
It just depends on whether people would rather have better resolution and better framerate over that.

Technically Vita already won the MGS war anyway by having the other games too.

Shigdig's claim about MGS 3D not having first person view was stupid though.
Back to top Go down
Dam_Noir
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Dam_Noir

England

PostSubject: Re: Official Metal Gear Solid Thread   Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 10:23 am

Ramzan_Kadyrov wrote:
Eh I'm prepared to admit when I'm wrong. Especially since I've not played the Vita version. You guys can go have a pint and celebrate your victory. Vita's port is just as good.

But still, the control scheme & 3D & Peace Walker gameplay is a great bonus for the 3DS version.
It just depends on whether people would rather have better resolution and better framerate over that.

Technically Vita already won the MGS war anyway by having the other games too.

Shigdig's claim about MGS 3D not having first person view was stupid though.

By all means correct him if he's wrong, I haven't played the 3DS version so I don't know if what he's saying is right or not. However there is no need to be hypocrite yourself in response to him. Afterall based on what little I know about the 3DS version I openly said the graphics were impressive for the 3DS regardless how they stack up against the HD collection and the crouch sneaking feature is a brilliant addition to the game.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Official Metal Gear Solid Thread   Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 11:20 am

The Phantom Pain, I'm starting believe is a Vita game, not because of the title, but the more I look at the video, the more I see it doesn't even come close to Ground Zeroes, especially the animations, they look so rigid.

As of now, I'm like 90% certain its a Vita game.

@ Lykos, if it's any consolation, I would have loved to have the crouch walk in MGS 3, going from prone to walking was a pain, especially on extreme, the guards field of vision is a LOT bigger on that difficulty, also, you have no sonar nor heartbeat sensor ... Sad
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Official Metal Gear Solid Thread   Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 11:24 am

Maybe MGS5 will be both on consoles and handhelds. Except for the 3DS because it isn't powerful enough. :fuckthat:
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Official Metal Gear Solid Thread   Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 11:27 am

True story Sad
Back to top Go down
Dam_Noir
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Dam_Noir

England

PostSubject: Re: Official Metal Gear Solid Thread   Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04, 2013 12:22 pm

Misheard lyrics @ 2:34, "Sony's a shit in our mouths."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6miaTf1gF4g#t=2m34s
Back to top Go down
Dam_Noir
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Dam_Noir

England

PostSubject: Re: Official Metal Gear Solid Thread   Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2013 7:25 am

Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 Bmpbe10
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Official Metal Gear Solid Thread   Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2013 7:31 am

Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Official Metal Gear Solid Thread   Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 7:04 pm

So get this. I got to the final part with The Boss. I rage quit after many irritating attempts, when I try and play again I'm back at the first fight with Volgin. GAY OR WHAT?!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official Metal Gear Solid Thread   Official Metal Gear Solid Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Official Metal Gear Solid Thread
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2