Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?

Go down 
+10
Bluenose
Pickles1337
TheJubJub5721
Ihsahn
Jack the Spectre
Orc
igame
Stigma
Hydell
2Sugoi2Die
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Stature : 3

Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 10:28 pm

Ihsahn wrote:
Sure, and you'll notice that when you asked and don't jump to conclusions, I responded politely. When I said "expose" I was mostly referring to Pickles because that's all he ever seems to do in regards to my posts and then follows it up with childish insults. Your candor is generally respectable.

I don't mind you questioning me. I make mistakes and I'm certainly willing to admit to them, but jumping down my throat isn't the way to go about that and that's how your tone came across.

Says the guy who said I was dick riding him. Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? - Page 3 2505020059
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

Stature : 4

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 10:35 pm

Oh, I'm sorry.

You always abrasively stalk my posts in order to find some fault in them.

Better?
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 11:10 pm

....yes.
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? - Page 3 StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 8:53 am

Oh my poor topic *pets topic*
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 6:35 pm

Well...what's your opinion Padders?
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 9:53 pm

Pickles1337 wrote:
Well...what's your opinion Padders?
Well the story should be told through gameplay. There is nothing wrong with using cutscenes but they should feel awarding after the player completed a difficult challenge. If you ever played Final Fantasy VII, VIII, IX or even Mass Effect 1 and 2 the cutscenes always felt awarding and the story is told through gameplay.
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 1:28 am

I'm not quite sure I follow.

I don't think cutscenes are part of the gameplay.

Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 3:00 am

I'm never good at explaining things xD. Maybe someone can help me lol.

Basically cutscenes are use to show the player something that cannot be done in gameplay.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

Stature : 4

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 4:35 am

Storytelling through gameplay can be more powerful because gaming is about interaction. I'd rather participate in some epic battle or plot-advancing scene than see clip about it.

I think that's what you mean? In which case I agree. It's similar to "show don't tell." Don't tell the audience about what happened; show them instead.
Back to top Go down
XenoTorment
Non-Valued Member
Non-Valued Member
XenoTorment

Stature : 0
America
Playing : Fanboys

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 4:52 am

"is like going into a romantic comedy and bitching at it because it didn't have epic gun fights."

I do this, what of it?
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2011 7:37 pm

Ihsahn wrote:
Storytelling through gameplay can be more powerful because gaming is about interaction. I'd rather participate in some epic battle or plot-advancing scene than see clip about it.

I think that's what you mean? In which case I agree. It's similar to "show don't tell." Don't tell the audience about what happened; show them instead.
Yup!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3