Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?

Go down 
+10
Bluenose
Pickles1337
TheJubJub5721
Ihsahn
Jack the Spectre
Orc
igame
Stigma
Hydell
2Sugoi2Die
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? Empty
PostSubject: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 2:06 am

What you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 2:54 am

Depends on the genre, the new MotorStorm is supposed to have some sort of story...but im not going to give a fuck all i care is that the racing is done well.

I suppose you need to have both of them done very well in most games for a game to be great.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 3:39 am

Agree with Reaper. But in most cases gameplay over story.
Back to top Go down
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
igame

Stature : 39
in front of computer
Playing : comedy

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 5:44 am

Reaper pretty much answered already
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 7:32 am

Like Reaper said, depends on genre. Not only that but also the style of game.
For example, Final Fantasy games generally have fairly mediocre gameplay. Not to say it's bad, no it's usually quite tight, but it's not exactly doing much for the genre, so you are mainly playing for the storyline, the characters and the locations/visuals. And that's fine for those kinds of games.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 3:11 pm

Gameplay over story 99% of the time.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

Stature : 4

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 3:12 pm

Gameplay always, but if it's a story centric game, there needs to solid enough gameplay that it isn't a pain in the ass to play. See Amnesia, Penumbra etc.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 3:50 pm

Well both are very important for me but i go for gameplay because i'd rather play a game with good gameplay and shitty storyline then a game with a great story and shitty gameplay.
Back to top Go down
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 4:02 pm

Yeah, it depends. Racing games and the such its about gameplay, kinda same with most RTS's. But for other genres, RPG's especially, I would want a better story. But obviously a good combination of both is best.
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Stature : 3

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 6:51 pm

I'd take a good story over good game-play any day.

I lose interest in a game if I don't care about the story/characters. Even if it has bad gameplay, I'd put up with it just to see what happens with the game.

For example, I beat Alan Wake in a couple of days because the story was pretty good however I wasn't very motivated to finish Gears Of War.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 1:13 am

That's pretty wacky considering the whole medium of video games is interaction and by not giving a shit about the gameplay you're going against that.
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 9:48 am

I grew in a time when it was all about gameplay and the story were smiple but it gave reason why.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 3:36 pm

Well, I tend not to buy games with a trashy story even if the gameplay is good. Unless it's like a racing genre and stuff like that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
NoelX2
Final Boss
Final Boss
NoelX2

Stature : 91
Playing : SF3

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 3:51 pm

Like what reaper said.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/XNoel2?feature=mhum
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 7:40 pm

Ihsahn wrote:
That's pretty wacky considering the whole medium of video games is interaction and by not giving a shit about the gameplay you're going against that.

Well, I don't think it should just be about interaction.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 8:40 pm

Then what's the point in playing a video game?

Seems kinda silly. A video game without gameplay is essentially just a movie. By all means if $60 for a movie is your thing then go for it.

Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 2:03 am

Some things are better done with games.

Like that one scene in COD4 where you end up dying. That shit was meaningful(and rare).

Besides, whenever I play a good game that has an awesome story it's worth more to me than any one of my favorite movies.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 11:22 am

I think games in the action/adventure genre need a good balance of both. RPGs definitely need to be story heavy to keep me interested for the dozens of hours I'm supose to spend on those games.

Ihsahn does bring up an interesting point. Without gameplay games are just glorified $60 movies Razz.
Back to top Go down
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 12:09 pm

Sovereign Alan wrote:
I think games in the action/adventure genre need a good balance of both. RPGs definitely need to be story heavy to keep me interested for the dozens of hours I'm supose to spend on those games.

Ihsahn does bring up an interesting point. Without gameplay games are just glorified $60 movies Razz.

*cough* Heavy Rain.... lol jk Razz

But actually in my opinion Oblivion's story was stupid but I played that game 60 hours on the Xbox and I'm at 10 hours on PC. Not always do RPG's need a good story, but most of the time definitely.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 4:32 pm

RPGs don't necessary need good stories. Just look at Demon's Souls, that game is all gameplay.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 5:48 pm

Story includes immersion. If an RPG isn't immersive, I'm not going to spend dozens of hours of my life playing it. Gameplay gets repetitive in alot of RPGs.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 11:09 pm

Both. Games are crap without good gameplay.

Some games can get away with having bad stories. Not many of them, though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 1:11 am

Sovereign Alan wrote:
Story includes immersion. If an RPG isn't immersive, I'm not going to spend dozens of hours of my life playing it. Gameplay gets repetitive in alot of RPGs.
RPG's are a lot about avatar strength. So while hitting 1 2 3 in WoW might not be that exciting, the big 20,000 you see when you crit is.

Repetitive gameplay is totally fine as long as it isn't taking away from the player.

Quote :

Like that one scene in COD4 where you end up dying. That shit was meaningful(and rare).
That's still gameplay, though.

Quote :
Besides, whenever I play a good game that has an awesome story it's worth more to me than any one of my favorite movies.
Like I said, if you're down with paying $60 for a good movie then so be it. I just think the whole point of investing time in a game is pointless if the gameplay sucks. It should be #1 priority always. It doesn't have to be amazing, but it should not detracting from the player. Amnesia pulled it off perfectly. The gameplay was very simple and barebones yet really effective.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 1:52 pm

Not trying to bring back old wounds, but um...Ihsahn, didn't you imply Halo sucks mostly because of the "bad story" and how it's executed? Razz

Quote :
RPG's are a lot about avatar strength. So while hitting 1 2 3 in WoW might not be that exciting, the big 20,000 you see when you crit is.

Repetitive gameplay is totally fine as long as it isn't taking away from the player.

That makes sense.

I guess I was basically talking about RPG hybrids; shooters/action adventure games that have a ton of RPG elements. Mass Effect series wouldn't be nearly as fun without the immersiveness. Especially ME1 which basically had an argueablly broken combat system.

This is partly why I just couldn't get into Borderland.

Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 3:13 pm

Ihsahn wrote:
Sovereign Alan wrote:

Quote :

That's still gameplay, though.
I know, that's the point.
Quote :
Like I said, if you're down with paying $60 for a good movie then so be it. I just think the whole point of investing time in a game is pointless if the gameplay sucks. It should be #1 priority always. It doesn't have to be amazing, but it should not detracting from the player. Amnesia pulled it off perfectly. The gameplay was very simple and barebones yet really effective.

I guess I exaggerated a little bit. I'm kind of angry that I haven't played a game with a story that's actually good in a long time. The upcoming line-up isn't getting me that excited either.

Well, the gameplay is important. It's what gets me into the game at first.

But I'm not gonna let a game get away with having a bad story, no matter how good the gameplay is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?   Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gameplay>Story or Story>Gameplay?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next