Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Underrated Films

Go down 
+5
Mikenuge
CernaMLD
Jack the Spectre
Mecha
Orc
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 12:24 pm

Upon seeing a film and forming my own judgment of it, I often go to a review site and see how similar or varying my views on the film are compared to professional critics.
And although I often recognise good films and often predict the ratings well, sometimes I am taken by surprise when I love a film to bits and see that it was torn apart by reviewers. Often I feel it is unfair.
These are some of the most critically under-appreciated films I've ever watched.

Sleeping with the Enemy
Underrated Films MV5BMTI1NzM1MjQyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjUyMjIyMQ@@._V1._SY317_
Following Julia Roberts as she escapes her somewhat psychotic, abusive husband can be downright terrifying. You look at her life with him, see his materialistic nature and extreme aggression towards her. You empathise with her right from the very start, and as soon as she finally gets away, slowly but surely you see him slowly begin to creep back into her life as he tracks her down. The film is gripping from start to finish. My only issue is the somewhat cliched ending which is too conclusive, and something more out-of-the-ordinary would have served it better.
Nonetheless, this film deserved a somewhat fairer critical response.
Underrated Films 1319816326_sleeping-with-the-enemy-lg

Six Days Seven Nights
Underrated Films 220px-Six_days_seven_nights
I don't understand the reviews for this. Sure it's a Hollywood title, and yes you can see how the romance is going to play out but that alone isn't a reason for bashing it.
The film smoothly crosses over both terrains of action/adventure, romance and comedy and dishes out a good amount of each. The great thing about it is the romance involves the most unlikely of people, people with no connection nor respect for each other until they become stranded on a deserted island and their need for survival brings them closer together. The locations are beautiful and the chemistry between the characters is gold. There are far-fetched elements but you truly feel the sense of urgency in the intense moments. The cinematography and editing at times truly excentuates the beauty, the ferocity and the intimacy of key moments in the film, and although it's not going to go down in history, it's still a film that one can find themselves watching again and again and still finding themselves captivated.
Underrated Films 2157

Along Came A Spider
Underrated Films 220px-Along_came_a_spider_poster
It must be said that the film hasn't aged well... even for its time the (rare) use of CGI looked rather poor. And yes there are a few generic aspects to the film. But from time to time there is some sheer unpredictability that can leave you in shock. The film follows Morgan Freeman, a cop, and his partner Jezzie, as they look into the case of the kidnapping of a congressman's daughter. Even for her young age Mika Boorem, though a nearly unknown actress, has an exceptional performance.
The film sadly flopped in ratings... and yes kidnapping thrillers have been done before, but this is a film that does it well.
Underrated Films Along_Came_A_Spider_2799_Medium

Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Underrated Films R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 12:50 pm

Underrated Films 220px-12

All the negative reviews for this movie should be a crime. Though I do agree that the film would have been slightly better if they left the ending open for the audience to decide, but that's just my opinion. I'm still scratching my head as to why critics even hate this movie? I mean it's not the best movie ever made or anything, but it's a pretty solid film. I bet if it was an indie film, critics would have been more forgiving. Whether you may or may not like the film, it's still worth the watch.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Underrated Films XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 5:14 pm

Ghost Rider and Jennifer's Body are two recent underrated films that come to mind. Ghost Rider is campy fun and I think it does somewhat recognize how campy it is. Everything about it is over-the-top, and I feel like that was intentional. As for Jennifer's Body, most reviews said "ZOMG THIS IS A SHITTY HORROR MOVIE," and uh . . . it's not a horror movie. It's a comedy. And it's not half-bad.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Underrated Films R5MQPRE

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 6:06 pm

Ghost Rider was terrible. Not because it was campy, but mainly because it was badly written and directed. Plus Nicolas Cage sucked as Johnny Blaze. FACT. If this was call anything but Ghost Rider then I would have been okay with him. Also I was very disappointed with Blackheart, he didn't look anything like he did in the comic books. Underrated Films 1443829230
I thought he was going to transform by the end of the film, but he never did.
Back to top Go down
CernaMLD
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader

Stature : 21

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 8:49 pm

TheCinemaJack wrote:
Ghost Rider and Jennifer's Body are two recent underrated films that come to mind. Ghost Rider is campy fun and I think it does somewhat recognize how campy it is. Everything about it is over-the-top, and I feel like that was intentional. As for Jennifer's Body, most reviews said "ZOMG THIS IS A SHITTY HORROR MOVIE," and uh . . . it's not a horror movie. It's a comedy. And it's not half-bad.

....Uhhhhhhhhh...
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Underrated Films XidKdMN
New York

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2012 10:59 pm

Ghost Rider falls under the "so bad it's good" category for me. Yes, the writing and direction are awful, but that's why I find it so damn appealing. Nicolas Cage is freaking great in it. He's so over-the-top, I just love Nicolas Cage's crazy schtick.

It's not a good film by any means, but I just think it's a hilariously entertaining piece of camp.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 7:35 am

^
Problem with that is where do you draw the line?

I mean you said the same about Piranha 3D and that actually rated decently, probably because people recognized the same points that you made. Then Piranha 3DD came out and scored horrendously, because they tried to milk it.

So does this whole "so-bad-its-good"/campy thing only work if a film does it once? Like The Room.
Back to top Go down
Mikenuge
Guard
Guard
Mikenuge

Stature : 39
UK
Playing : With my small penis

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 7:56 am

ghost rider sucked and we have a thread for this topic
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Underrated Films XidKdMN
New York

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2012 12:43 pm

Lykos wrote:
^
Problem with that is where do you draw the line?

I mean you said the same about Piranha 3D and that actually rated decently, probably because people recognized the same points that you made. Then Piranha 3DD came out and scored horrendously, because they tried to milk it.

So does this whole "so-bad-its-good"/campy thing only work if a film does it once? Like The Room.
I couldn't tell you explicitly where I draw the line, but a film like Piranha 3DD was not campy. It was just dull. Piranha 3D was pretty funny, but yeah, like you said, Piranha 3DD milked it, tried too hard to be campy, and ended up throwing a bunch of blood and gore and it amounted to nothing. Honestly, as far as The Room goes, I see nothing redeeming about it, even in camp territory.

Whether or not you find something campy is difficult to explain, and it varies based on each person. Whereas most people found Ghost Rider boring, I found it to be mildly entertaining.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 11:57 am

^

Oh but I wouldn't call The Room an even slightly decent film. I think its downright atrocious, the only this is, instead of telling people to avoid it I want everyone to see it Underrated Films 2505020059

And coolio.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Underrated Films R5MQPRE

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 6:40 am

The King of Comedy

Way better than Taxi Driver and The Departed.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Underrated Films Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2014 7:38 am

Iron Man 3

Way better than Man of Steel and X-Men: DOFP.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Underrated Films R5MQPRE

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 8:05 pm

I would say Manhunter is also very underrated. It's almost better than it's successor known as The Silence of the Lambs. ALMOST. The Silence of the Lambs is a near perfect film with stronger performances. But Manhunter has an overall better story, more interesting characters, and a great visual style.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2014 11:30 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Iron Man 3

Way better than Man of Steel and X-Men: DOFP.

Gr8 b8 m8 I r8 it 8/8
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2014 7:36 am

^
is 8 alr8 if I masturb8
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Underrated Films Z4pMElY

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2014 7:55 am

The Master by PTA is an underrated masterpiece, with Philip Seymour Hoffman's best performance. It's also got an amazingly tight script, despite being confusing at times.  

Oh, and it's the most gorgeous-looking American film since the 2010s. :)
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Underrated Films Z4pMElY

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 7:44 am

Punch-Drunk Love is quite underrated as well. I even see it as one of the smartest romance movies that I've seen all year. 

Go, Anderson, Go! Underrated Films 2505020059
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Underrated Films R5MQPRE

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 8:57 am

I haven't seen Punch-Drunk Love in many years. But yeah, it is a pretty good film. Almost bought a rare DVD edition of it at the dollar store for just $5. Didn't end up buying it though. Sad
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

U.S.A.

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 1:34 pm

Wasn't a huge fan of Punch-Drunk Love. I thought it was ok at parts, with PSH having a few scenes of really good acting, but I didn't really like it too much.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Underrated Films Z4pMElY

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 2:25 pm

Archduke wrote:
Wasn't a huge fan of Punch-Drunk Love. I thought it was ok at parts, with PSH having a few scenes of really good acting, but I didn't really like it too much.

Sorry it didn't have enough explosions for ya I love you
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

U.S.A.

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 2:29 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Archduke wrote:

Hahaha yes! Razz

But seriously, it was just kinda boring and hard to watch at times. I guess I'm just not used to watching Adam Sandler play these kinds of roles in films. I'm used to the terrible, mediocre, trying-too-hard-to-be-funny performances that he's known for doing in the past. Still, it's good to see him do movies like this.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Underrated Films Z4pMElY

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 01, 2014 2:44 pm

Archduke wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Archduke wrote:

Hahaha yes! Razz

But seriously, it was just kinda boring and hard to watch at times. I guess I'm just not used to watching Adam Sandler play these kinds of roles in films. I'm used to the terrible, mediocre, trying-too-hard-to-be-funny performances that he's known for doing in the past. Still, it's good to see him do movies like this.

I thought you were going to take it seriously, lol. 

Glad to see you're a good sport :)
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Underrated Films Z4pMElY

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 4:56 pm

Bottle Rocket is criminally underrated as well, if I must say. Can't believe it almost ruined Wes' career.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Underrated Films Z4pMElY

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 8:08 am

I never thought I'll ever have to say this, but... Only God Forgives is an underrated gem.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Underrated Films R5MQPRE

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2014 10:47 am

@Rambo Good. Now try re-watching Man of Steel again and lets see where that goes. :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Underrated Films Empty
PostSubject: Re: Underrated Films   Underrated Films I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Underrated Films
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next