Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed

Go down 
+7
Bluenose
Stoney
Pickles1337
NoelX2
Based Sonji
Pein
Jack the Spectre
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed Empty
PostSubject: Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed   Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 12:42 pm

Quote :
Last Friday the creators of Geometry Wars, Blur, and Project Gothem Racing, Bizarre Creations was closed down by Activison. In a interview with Eurogamer, ex-Bizarre design manager Gareth Wilson gave his impressions on why the studio was shut down. He also gave a look back on his best times at the company.

The low sales of Blur many believe was the main reason for Activision’s attempt and eventual failure to find a buyer for the studio. Wilson commented on how the release date which was in the same time frame as Red Dead Redemption and Split/Second was a contributing factor to Blur’s disappointing sales.

We wish all the former Bizarre Creations employees well. Below you can view the farewell video they made last Friday.

Read the full article here.

Really sad video. So sad to see a great studio go down like that. I remember this was like the feeling I got when Pandemic closed down, only this was worse.
Back to top Go down
Pein
Non-Essential NPC
Pein

Stature : -6
Macedonia

PostSubject: Re: Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed   Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 12:45 pm

activision and their money tsk tsk tsk
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed   Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 4:01 pm

Pein wrote:

If you spend tons of money in something and it bombs, you'd be pretty upset too.

Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed   Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 5:57 pm

Hypnotoad wrote:
Pein wrote:

If you spend tons of money in something and it bombs, you'd be pretty upset too.

They spent tons of money on Blur? Maybe a little on production (probably not a ridiculous amount since it's a gamble) and absolutely no money on Blur's advertising.

Blur's poor sales are the fault of Activision for not promoting it well enough, and Bizarre gets closed because of it.
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed   Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 5:59 pm

TRF wrote:
Hypnotoad wrote:
Pein wrote:

They spent tons of money on Blur? Maybe a little on production (probably not a ridiculous amount since it's a gamble) and absolutely no money on Blur's advertising.

Blur's poor sales are the fault of Activision for not promoting it well enough, and Bizarre gets closed because of it.

Bottom line is, from a business perspective, it was a hard choice, sure, but it was probably the business-smart decision.

Same goes for Guitar Hero.
Back to top Go down
NoelX2
Final Boss
Final Boss
NoelX2

Playing : SF3

PostSubject: Re: Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed   Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 9:58 pm

Bye Bye Awesome Game Maker! :ultracry:
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/XNoel2?feature=mhum
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed   Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 10:45 pm

Hypnotoad wrote:
TRF wrote:
Hypnotoad wrote:
Pein wrote:

Bottom line is, from a business perspective, it was a hard choice, sure, but it was probably the business-smart decision.

It may have been the business smart decision, but it's ultimately Activision's fault that they had to come to that decision. If they marketed Blur and Blood Stone, they would have sold better and Bizarre wouldn't even be considered for closure.

Basically, Activision fucks up, someone else suffers. Activision runs Guitar Hero into the ground, and a bunch of studios close, leaving people jobless. Activision refuses to market Blur and Blood Stone and is somehow shocked when they sell poorly, and a talented studio closes down.

Activision sucks. Just once I would like to see them take a hit, rather than let other people go down because of their stupid mistakes.
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Stature : 3

PostSubject: Re: Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed   Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 12:52 am

TRF wrote:
Hypnotoad wrote:
TRF wrote:
Hypnotoad wrote:
Pein wrote:

It may have been the business smart decision, but it's ultimately Activision's fault that they had to come to that decision. If they marketed Blur and Blood Stone, they would have sold better and Bizarre wouldn't even be considered for closure.

Basically, Activision fucks up, someone else suffers. Activision runs Guitar Hero into the ground, and a bunch of studios close, leaving people jobless. Activision refuses to market Blur and Blood Stone and is somehow shocked when they sell poorly, and a talented studio closes down.

Activision sucks. Just once I would like to see them take a hit, rather than let other people go down because of their stupid mistakes.

They're being sued by Axl Rose. If that helps.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed   Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 5:28 am

Yeah, but Axel Rose is a prick.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed   Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 11:05 am

I hope Axl wins. I don't like him either, but at least he didn't recycle GnR songs until the band ran into the ground.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed   Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 11:50 am

Blur wasn't advertised poorly... I saw quite a few commercials for it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Stature : 3

PostSubject: Re: Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed   Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 1:32 pm

Stoney wrote:
Yeah, but Axel Rose is a prick.

Correction. Axl Rose is a talented prick.

But seriously, he needs to lose some weight. Have you seen his recent pictures??? Jesus Christ.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed   Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 3:21 pm

D:

SHOULD HAVE BEEN TREYARCH D:.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed   Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 27, 2011 4:17 pm

Teckno wrote:

Yeah it just had a horrible release date. I mean he had to fight against RDR and split/second.
Back to top Go down
Franko
Area Boss
Area Boss
Franko

Stature : 20
Southern Fairy
Playing : Meh

PostSubject: Re: Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed   Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 9:18 pm

i never even saw a ad for Blur
Back to top Go down
NoelX2
Final Boss
Final Boss
NoelX2

Playing : SF3

PostSubject: Re: Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed   Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 9:41 pm

Teckno wrote:
I saw them too.

I loled everytime I watch that.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/XNoel2?feature=mhum
Azazel
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Azazel

Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed 5DfcoiC
Stature : 7
Equestria

PostSubject: Re: Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed   Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 10:00 pm

I recall seeing that a few times but in comparison to say, Halo Reach, it was nothing by comparison.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed   Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 10:14 pm

You honestly think Blur had one twentieth of the advertising budget of Call of Duty?
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed   Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 10:36 pm

TRF wrote:
You honestly think Blur had one twentieth of the advertising budget of Call of Duty?
Call of Duty is not a standard game. It's a million dollar franchise, it's obvious they're going to get a hell of a lot more advertising. Blur got just as much as any random standard game, maybe even more so.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Azazel
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Azazel

Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed 5DfcoiC
Stature : 7
Equestria

PostSubject: Re: Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed   Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 11:06 pm

TRF wrote:

With a company as large as Activision they could have come close, but of course we are talking about Activision here.
Back to top Go down
Gordon Freeman
Background Character
Background Character
Gordon Freeman

Stature : 0

PostSubject: Re: Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed   Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 6:24 am

i saw more adverts for blur than halo reach here in the uk, but then again i only watch bbc three and e4 and itv2 lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed   Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why Bizarre Creations Was Closed
Page 1 of 1