Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost?

Go down 
+4
Chobo
ghost23
Hydell
Mecha
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost? R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost? Empty
PostSubject: How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost?   How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 12:20 am

How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost? Money_origami_02

Quote :
It remains a hot topic everywhere: the next generation of consoles.

And while hardware price is always a major issue, we also can't forget about the all-important cost of software.

Many think $60 is too much for games this generation (which I don't agree with at all), but the overall cost of development is ever on the rise.

Historically, games on the PlayStation side have gone up $10 with each new generation. During the PS1 era, new games were $40; for the PS2, they were $50, and now for the PS3, they're $60. So is it safe to assume that PS4 games will be $70? Is that properly taking into account inflation and the rising cost of game creation, from the drawing board to the production line? And how much are gamers ultimately willing to spend on a routine basis?

The other question involves shifting formats; from physical to digital. A lot of people think digital copies of games should be cheaper than their physical counterparts, as it costs the publisher less (theoretically). However, we haven't really seen that yet; might we see it in the new generation? Maybe that will accelerate the death of game discs. If a new title launches simultaneously on store shelves and on the PSN, for instance, what if the digital copy is $10 cheaper? Then what? Will that drastically increase sales of one version over the other?

I'm a little tired of all the complainers, who clearly weren't around when SNES cartridges cost $50-$70 nearly 20 years ago. We should all be thanking our lucky stars that games today don't cost $100 apiece; by all rights, maybe they should. But things need to remain accessible and affordable; after all, the industry has experienced several down years, here. So maybe a big price hike in the software department next generation isn't a good idea. Maybe it should just stay at $60...if that's even feasible.

http://www.psxextreme.com/feature/780.html
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost?   How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 5:30 am

Yes yes its all good and well if game prices get more expensive due to inflation...but for fucks sake our wages do not increase to keep up with inflation...i'm looking at you impotent government.
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ghost23

Stature : 11
Australia

PostSubject: Re: How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost?   How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 9:42 pm

I pay $100 already lol
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost? 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost?   How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 9:46 pm

I'm going to say $80 USD.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost?   How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 11:33 pm

Quote :
Historically, games on the PlayStation side have gone up $10 with each new generation. During the PS1 era, new games were $40

lol? I recall them being 50 or 55 USD, not 40.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost? XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost?   How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 11:37 pm

BlackStigma wrote:
Quote :
Historically, games on the PlayStation side have gone up $10 with each new generation. During the PS1 era, new games were $40

I never had a PSone back in the day but I did have an N64 and those games were $50 and I can't imagine PSone games costing less.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

US

PostSubject: Re: How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost?   How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 11:49 pm

TRF wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
Quote :

I never had a PSone back in the day but I did have an N64 and those games were $50 and I can't imagine PSone games costing less.

I grabbed one of my old "Official U.S. Playstation" magazines. The December 1998 issue. It has a pages full of ads for new games and systems. Most games were selling for $50 or $45.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost? XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost?   How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 11:58 pm

BlackStigma wrote:
TRF wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
Quote :

I grabbed one of my old "Official U.S. Playstation" magazines. The December 1998 issue. It has a pages full of ads for new games and systems. Most games were selling for $50 or $45.
Damn, you have issues dating that far back? I think I have a GameInformer from like 2006 or something but that's it, lol.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

US

PostSubject: Re: How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost?   How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 2:42 am

I also looked at prices for other games. N64 games were sold between 50 and 75 dollars. Some SNES games were sold at $70 as well. Now when you throw in inflation game prices seem to be stable and going down even...I think the problem lies more in DLC and companies selling uncompleted games...
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost?   How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 7:58 am

To be honest, if games are 70$ next gen, I'll probably never buy a game new.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost?   How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 9:01 am

When I got Legend of Zelda OoT, it was £60, that's Irish Punt/pound. That's about €75, and that's not including the expansion pack thing for the graphics.

New games cost €50 in most places but if you look around you could get them for €40.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost?   How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How Much Will Next-Gen Games Cost?
Page 1 of 1