Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst.

Go down 
+6
ghost23
Hydell
The_Biotic_God
Stoney
Mecha
Archduke
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst. Empty
PostSubject: Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst.   Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 6:23 pm

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/sony-or-microsoft-to-bow-out-of-next-gen-console-race-predicts-gaikai/

Quote :
Sony was quick to shoot down rumors that a PS4 would be announced at this year's E3, but things just got a lot more interesting all of a sudden, as cloud gaming service Gaikai has commented that one of the current console manufacturers actually won't be creating another console for the next generation. Speaking during CES, Nanea Reeves, chief product officer for Gaikai, predicted, "Not all of the current console makers will have one more generation. That will be the big news at E3."

If true, wow. With Wii U guaranteed to launch in 2012, that means it's either going to be Microsoft or Sony. Our take is that it's probably Sony because financially the company would have a tougher time with the huge R&D and manufacturing for yet another new console.

Beyond that, it's easy to speculate that perhaps Sony is working on some major cloud gaming partnership with Gaikai instead of devoting resources to another piece of hardware. We'll bring you more as we hear it!

I doubt this will happen, Both companies can really make a great profit with their next console.

Plus, cloud gaming? :fuckthat:
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst. R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst.   Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 6:28 pm

I remember when Nintendo once considered dropping out of the console race and go third party like SEGA. But that all changed with the success of the Wii.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst.   Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 7:55 pm

If either Sony or MS dropped out then whichever company decided to make a console would be rolling in the money.

MS and/or Sony wouldn't be pushing numbers like 50-60 million consoles, they'd be pushing in and around double that.

Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst.   Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 8:25 pm

I would hope neither quit the "console Race," but if there had to be one I think it would most likely be Sony.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst.   Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 8:36 pm

I think Sony will give it another shot with the PS4 before they even consider quitting the console race. And if they end up in third-place again then I lose hope in gaming.
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst.   Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 2:37 am

Lets not forget that analysts thought the Wii would be a flop sales wise. When i see that word analyst i usually dismiss anything they say because more often than not the stuff that they "analyse" never fucking happpens.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst.   Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 4:25 am

Is it me or are analysts always completely wrong.....

Anyway the chance of either one of them leaving is none to none. But if one of them would leave and say it was true than it would more likely be Sony.
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ghost23

Stature : 11
Australia

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst.   Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 5:47 am

Purely based off the amount of money that has been invested in Microsoft Studios and Sony Computer Entertainment ranging from hardware to first party development studios, it would be senseless for either of them to leave.

I guess these analysts have to say something different that will create discussion. They're not going to gain any attention from saying, there will be another XBOX and another Playstation.
Back to top Go down
Dam_Noir
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Dam_Noir

Stature : 39
England

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst.   Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 6:15 am

The_Biotic_God wrote:
I would hope neither quit the "console Race," but if there had to be one I think it would most likely be Sony.

Funny because I would predict the opposite, mainly because Microsoft have already proven they can leave a market if the profit isn't as high as they had wanted as evidenced with the discontinuation of all Zune hardware.

Whereas Sony have proven they can weather the storm when the PS3 was sold at a loss for years something I believe Microsoft simply wouldn't of endured with the 360.

But we don't want either leaving the market, good competition makes you strive to improve.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/theblacknapalm
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst.   Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 3:27 pm

Dam_Noir wrote:
The_Biotic_God wrote:

Funny because I would predict the opposite, mainly because Microsoft have already proven they can leave a market if the profit isn't as high as they had wanted as evidenced with the discontinuation of all Zune hardware.

Whereas Sony have proven they can weather the storm when the PS3 was sold at a loss for years something I believe Microsoft simply wouldn't of endured with the 360.

But we don't want either leaving the market, good competition makes you strive to improve.

Considering how much money MS has made off of XBL and the 360 I doubt they'd stop now.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst.   Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 3:56 pm

The revenue of Xbox Live alone would keep them still in.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst.   Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 5:14 pm

Teckno wrote:

I wonder how much money it will cost next gen. I doubt it will be $60.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst.   Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 5:30 pm

Duke wrote:
Teckno wrote:

I wonder how much money it will cost next gen. I doubt it will be $60.

Are you assuming it will be higher or lower?
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
ghost23
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ghost23

Australia

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst.   Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 6:43 pm

The_Biotic_God wrote:
Dam_Noir wrote:
The_Biotic_God wrote:

Considering how much money MS has made off of XBL and the 360 I doubt they'd stop now.

Plus selling 18 million Kinects at a profit
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst.   Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 7:12 pm

Who really believes analysts?
I mean seriously...they have anal in their name for a reason.
Like Alan :lolguy:
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst.   Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst. I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 8:03 pm

Dam_Noir wrote:
The_Biotic_God wrote:

Microsoft was at a 4 billion dollar loss on the original xbox but they still released the 360.
Back to top Go down
Dam_Noir
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Dam_Noir

England

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst.   Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst. I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 3:20 am

BlackStigma wrote:
Dam_Noir wrote:
The_Biotic_God wrote:

Microsoft was at a 4 billion dollar loss on the original xbox but they still released the 360.

Microsoft came into the console market with far too many employees in their gaming division. That loss was down to growing pains that comes with new business ventures. I highly doubt they would be so keen turning a loss now they have settled in to the field as evidenced by my previous post.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst.   Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst. I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 10:36 pm

Dam_Noir wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
Dam_Noir wrote:
The_Biotic_God wrote:

Microsoft came into the console market with far too many employees in their gaming division. That loss was down to growing pains that comes with new business ventures. I highly doubt they would be so keen turning a loss now they have settled in to the field as evidenced by my previous post.

That scenario is very circumstantial. Just because one division of Microsoft did something that doesn't mean the other will. It's completely illogical to predict that MS would quit the console gaming industry when taking into account how much of a success the Xbox 360 and XBL was for them. Sony is the only competitor this generation that actually lost not only money but marketshare as well (which affects long term brand longevity) . The fact that Playstation isn't anywhere near as popular as it use to be is not really prompting Sony to rush out with another Playstation console.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst.   Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst. I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 11:07 pm

I'm sorry but this news is bullshit. Even if Sony is the most likeliest to drop out of the console race next-gen, it still doesn't make the slightest sense. All the risk they took with the PS3 will be all for nothing. Plus, they can highly improve with their next console and make it more affordable than the PS3's launch price. So why wouldn't they? Sure they will lose money at first, but that's expected. Sony loves to shove all new tech with the more improve Blu-ray players, 3DTVs without glasses, 4K TVs, VAIO etc. But not developing a new console? GTFO!
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst.   Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst. I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 12:03 am

Mecha wrote:
I'm sorry but this news is bullshit. Even if Sony is the most likeliest to drop out of the console race next-gen, it still doesn't make the slightest sense. All the risk they took with the PS3 will be all for nothing. Plus, they can highly improve with their next console and make it more affordable than the PS3's launch price. So why wouldn't they? Sure they will lose money at first, but that's expected. Sony loves to shove all new tech with the more improve Blu-ray players, 3DTVs without glasses, 4K TVs, VAIO etc. But not developing a new console? GTFO!

I actually agree with this. I'm just saying that if one absolutely had to go, it's slightly more believeable that Sony would kick the bucket.
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ghost23

Australia

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst.   Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst. I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 3:43 am

Dam_Noir wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
Dam_Noir wrote:
The_Biotic_God wrote:

But the Zune division were in a very different situation to the XBOX division. At the time the Zune HD was released, the portable music market had already been completely penetrated and Apple basically had monopoly in that market with the iPod at a point where Zune could do nothing to compete, thats why they discontinued.
On the console market, there was a huge untapped audience that everyone wanted to get a part of and I think we're only starting to see that audience adopting the consoles.
Back to top Go down
Dam_Noir
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Dam_Noir

England

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst.   Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16, 2012 3:52 am

ghost23 wrote:
Dam_Noir wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
Dam_Noir wrote:
The_Biotic_God wrote:

But the Zune division were in a very different situation to the XBOX division. At the time the Zune HD was released, the portable music market had already been completely penetrated and Apple basically had monopoly in that market with the iPod at a point where Zune could do nothing to compete, thats why they discontinued.
On the console market, there was a huge untapped audience that everyone wanted to get a part of and I think we're only starting to see that audience adopting the consoles.

Very true, Apple does dominate that market yet Sony keeps on making MP3 players?

Staying power.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst.   Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Microsoft or Sony to quit console Race, says analyst.
Page 1 of 1