Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Are Sony playing it too safe this gen?

Go down 
+6
RamboOnRedBull
Mecha
Bluenose
Orion
Angelus
Orc
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? Empty
PostSubject: Are Sony playing it too safe this gen?   Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2015 6:29 pm

Innovation. Uniqueness. Risk. Never before have I seen these things valued so much in the gaming community before. But in recent years, these are effectively a triumvirate of commercial and critical success. I can assume the rise in independent games has had something to do with it. But we didn't buy an Ouya, we bought these powerhouses known as the Playstation Four and the Xbox One.. However it too much to expect innovation and uniqueness and some good old risky business tactics from the big corporations and developers in the AAA scene? I don't think so. But it seems that one corporation is striving to do a lot more in these regards than the other.

Look at the PS4 and Xbox One's respective launch windows. PS4's only triple-A exclusives were Killzone Shadowfall and Knack. The former is a first person shooter from a long-established franchise. Knack was the only new Sony IP and it failed to meet expectations. Or rather it did, because no one had high expectations. While there's no denying that providing a lack of AAA titles is a risk, it isn't a sensible or fruitful one (or at least by all means it shouldn't be).

At the helm of Xbox One's launch window was Forza Motorsport 5, self-evidently the fifth installment in a long-established franchise.
Microsoft took us by surprise however by bringing to the table a new Killer Instinct game- a franchise which hadn't seen a game release since 1996! So obviously this is big news. Also Crimson Dragon, and while we could argue whether it qualifies as a AAA title, it is also pretty big news as it's a spiritual successor to the original Xbox hit Panzer Dragoon- which hadn't seen a new iteration since 2002! Sure it sucked but damn! Then there's Dead Rising, which we thought was now a multiplatform franchise (Dead Rising 2, sequel to the Xbox 360 exclusive Dead Rising 1, was on PS3 & 360 & PC!), but Dead Rising 3 was given as a console exclusive, which I'm sure no one saw coming. Okay, it came to PC later, still an interesting move by Microsoft. And then there's Ryse Son of Rome, originally meant to be a kinect game, but it had been overhauled and brought out to us in the form of a triple-A blockbuster action title developed by Crytek, the kings of graphics who usually worked on PC franchises like Crysis, yet here they were giving us an Xbox Exclusive (a mighty pretty one might I add).

Anywho, while I wont say either lineup was groundbreaking (there were letdowns on both sides), Microsoft certainly had some wild cards in their deck, so-to-speak, while Sony only really brought out one note-worthy fresh IP, meanwhile mostly touting ports of the same old psn titles and a bunch of multiplats.

Follow on from its launch window and PS4's exclusive offerings include;

InFamous Second Son - another worn-in franchise (not a bad thing, but nothing out the ordinary)
The Last of Us Remastered - last years game, but this year
MLB The Show - same (good) shit, different year
Uncharted 4  - more of the same good shit
Tearaway Unfolded - Remember that game you loved on Vita? Play it again on PS4!

Woah, is that deja vu?

That's not to say there aren't some interesting games out there for the PS4;

Bloodborne - Okay, new IP.... except it looks identicle to Dark Souls.... not particularly ambitious
Drive Club - New racing IP...though, its own issues aside, it's just another generic racing game- no thinking out the box here-not trying to outdo Forza
The Order 1886 - Sacrifice gameplay for cutscenes, I mean films are easier
Grim Fandango - Gotta give ya this, it might not be a high budget remake but I assure you the original game was AAA in every sense of the term back in its day! Still...just timed exclusivity  

Now let's take a look at Xbox One

Forza Horizon 2 - Familiar but only the second in this franchise (separate to Forza Motorsport), and definitely ambitious with drivatars and great social features  
Gears of War Probably more of the same (good) shit
Crackdown - More of the same probably
Halo 5 - sigh....
Forza Motorsport 6 - Yeah definitely more of the same (good) shit

Dang, more deja vu.
What else?

Titanfall It's on PC but merits a mention considering it revolutionized FPS gameplay- its appeal didn't last due to lack of content- but it succeeded at being different
Sunset Overdrive Previously a Playstation exclusive developer, Insomniac created one of the most unique action games, perhaps ever
Quantum Break Taking only the slow-mo and action of Max Payne and the storytelling and atmosphere of Alan Wake, but bringing a game that is half-tv series and half unique gameplay which focuses on time-stopping ...ambitious
Scalebound So little is known about this game but just looking at the trailer you know that there's nothing quite like it. And we know Platinum games (the guys behind it) make some pretty unique games
Phantom Dust Looks like Microsoft like to bring back cult classics, a remake of a game not seen since the original xbox!
Halo Master Chief Collection More of the same? No doubt. But how many companies will give you 4 game remasters (5 if you are an early adopter) for the price of 1?! Ballsy!
Banjo Kazooie Oh come on we already know it is this. If not, either way, it's a Rare game that isn't Kinect based, that in itself is exciting
Fable Legends Another one? Yes. But does the game look even remotely similar to previous iterations? Decide for yourself. I say not. For better or for worse.

To summarize, maybe it's just a matter of perspective but even the new IP's of Sony don't seem to be all that fresh or innovative or really all that unexpected, aside from Grim Fandango but once again, we can assume that'll be on Xbox too within a year. It's already coming to PC. This is not to say that the PS4 games are not or will not be good, it's just an observation as someone who has faith that even the triple-A scene can give us surprises.

Last edited by Sawed-Off_Orc on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? ZDL7A4I
Stature : 342
Canada
Playing : Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy VII
Watching : Darksydephil

PostSubject: Re: Are Sony playing it too safe this gen?   Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2015 7:26 pm

lol
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: Are Sony playing it too safe this gen?   Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2015 3:33 am

These topics are so shit, mods just delete it.
Also when did they say Grim Fandango was timed not on xbox?
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Are Sony playing it too safe this gen?   Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2015 11:37 am

Quote :
Halo Master Chief Collection More of the same? No doubt. But how many companies will give you 4 game remasters (5 if you are an early adopter) for the price of 1?! Ballsy!

Many. Many companies.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Are Sony playing it too safe this gen?   Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2015 11:43 am

Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? 2ro0w2g
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

PostSubject: Re: Are Sony playing it too safe this gen?   Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2015 11:58 am

Someone should ban Mecha.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Are Sony playing it too safe this gen?   Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2015 6:09 pm

Halo: The Master Chief Collection? More like Halo: The Master Glitch Collection. Razz

Mecha wrote:
Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? 2ro0w2g

Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? Th?id=HN.608019029961477097&pid=15
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Are Sony playing it too safe this gen?   Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2015 7:05 pm

DaTeckno wrote:
Quote :

Many. Many companies.....

Not really.... I mean there's been trilogies like Metal Gear Solid and Ratchet & Clank and Jak N Daxter... but the effort to improve those games was pretty minimal. Whereas with Halo 1 and 2 at least, you can switch back and forth between classic and new mode and see for yourself how massive the jump is!!
Back to top Go down
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? ZDL7A4I
Stature : 342
Canada
Playing : Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy VII
Watching : Darksydephil

PostSubject: Re: Are Sony playing it too safe this gen?   Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2015 7:07 pm

Most HD remasters were just ports, but MCC was just an embarrassment.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: Are Sony playing it too safe this gen?   Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 2:06 am

It didn't even work
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: Are Sony playing it too safe this gen?   Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 11:15 am

To be perfectly honest, yeah, they kinda are. But this gen, they really had to. Sony really could not afford to have another fuck-up like the PS3. Now while the PS3 eventually got better as the generation went on and some reports say that its sales surpassed the 360 eventually, At launch, the system was a disaster. Insane asking price, hardware that was powerful, but insanely difficult to code for, and not very many must have games, and you have the recipe for a failure. But Sony managed to turn things around and eventually came back from it. However, they did not want that to happen again. So this time, they played it safe and made a console that was cheaper, easier to make games for, but was still kinda lacking in must have games. But I guess that didn't matter very much since the PS4 is still selling.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

PostSubject: Re: Are Sony playing it too safe this gen?   Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 12:21 pm

I'm surprised the PS4 is the best-selling new system, since both of the competitors have more worthwile games to play.
Back to top Go down
NoelX2
Final Boss
Final Boss
NoelX2

Stature : 91
Playing : SF3

PostSubject: Re: Are Sony playing it too safe this gen?   Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 5:15 pm

Drawn to Death looks insane tho
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/XNoel2?feature=mhum
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Are Sony playing it too safe this gen?   Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 5:39 pm

Chobo wrote:
To be perfectly honest, yeah, they kinda are. But this gen, they really had to. Sony really could not afford to have another fuck-up like the PS3. Now while the PS3 eventually got better as the generation went on and some reports say that its sales surpassed the 360 eventually, At launch, the system was a disaster. Insane asking price, hardware that was powerful, but insanely difficult to code for, and not very many must have games, and you have the recipe for a failure. But Sony managed to turn things around and eventually came back from it. However, they did not want that to happen again. So this time, they played it safe and made a console that was cheaper, easier to make games for, but was still kinda lacking in must have games. But I guess that didn't matter very much since the PS4 is still selling.

They're doing the same with Vita though. And that ain't selling.

They did the same with the PSP last gen, it was overpriced (amazing though) and everyone complained about it just having ports blah blah blah, they bitched about the controls blah blah blah, yet Sony didn't tuck their tail between their legs and ditch it. They continued to support it! And incredibly well I might add. By the end of its generation, nearly 80 million people owned PSP's.
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: Are Sony playing it too safe this gen?   Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 6:59 pm

Personally, I've always thought The Last of Us Remastered was one of the dumbest things ever until Capcom decided to do a 'Definitive' version of DmC: Devil May Cry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are Sony playing it too safe this gen?   Are Sony playing it too safe this gen? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are Sony playing it too safe this gen?
Page 1 of 1