Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Study refutes link between violence and media

Go down 
+2
Orc
Mecha
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Study refutes link between violence and media R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

Study refutes link between violence and media Empty
PostSubject: Study refutes link between violence and media   Study refutes link between violence and media I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2015 11:19 am

Quote :
A new long-term study has refuted a connection between violent media and real world violence, and raised doubts regarding the methods of earlier studies with contrary findings.

Study refutes link between violence and media Violence_in_video_games
In the newly-published results of a study of violence and violent media in the US, psychologist Christopher Ferguson and his team said they found no evidence of a link between real world acts of violence and violent media, such as films and video games.

As reported by the Independent, the team said that earlier studies with contrary conclusions utilised flawed methodologies, presenting violent media without context and measuring aggression through arguably unrelated tasks.

Looking outside the laboratory, Ferguson and his team looked at the frequency of depictions of violence in media between 1920 and 2005, and then compared it to real world incidents during the same period.

Not only did the team not find real world violence rising as media violence did, it even noted that violence in media actually increased as real world violence decreased.

This data corroborates with an ESRB study into youth violence and the depiction of violence in video games, which also noted a correlation between decreased real world incidents and increased video game depictions of violence.

Neither of these studies are saying anything new, despite what the media will have you think sometimes; UKIE CEO DR Jo Twist has said there has never been a creditable study indicating a link between video games and real world violence.

Ferguson concluded his paper on the study by noting that scapegoating of video games and films distracts public interest from social pressures, such as poverty, which may be at the root of violent acts.

Image via Controller Shop.

Source: VG247
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: Study refutes link between violence and media   Study refutes link between violence and media I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2015 12:34 pm

Old. They've already been refuted. To be fair the link between violence and media HASN'T been debunked, but the studies that suggested a correlation have been. Basically there's no compelling evidence either way.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Study refutes link between violence and media   Study refutes link between violence and media I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2015 4:33 pm

Another study to add to the massive list.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

Study refutes link between violence and media TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: Study refutes link between violence and media   Study refutes link between violence and media I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2015 6:48 pm

Yeah this is bullshit, video games are an introduction to violence to many kids and the first time they are really able to commit violence or murderous acts which after repetition they become obsessed with.
Back to top Go down
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

Study refutes link between violence and media ZDL7A4I
Stature : 342
Canada
Playing : Dragon Quest XI, Final Fantasy VII
Watching : Darksydephil

PostSubject: Re: Study refutes link between violence and media   Study refutes link between violence and media I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2015 6:57 pm

Video Games turned Chris-Chan violent.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: Study refutes link between violence and media   Study refutes link between violence and media I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2015 7:04 pm

Angelus wrote:
Video Games turned Chris-Chan violent.

Study refutes link between violence and media 725796345
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: Study refutes link between violence and media   Study refutes link between violence and media I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2015 7:49 pm

The world was far more violent before modern media. Video games or music or whatever is just a scapegoat to deflect from a persons bad parenting because they don't want to admit that it's their fault that their child turned out to be such a piece of shit.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Study refutes link between violence and media   Study refutes link between violence and media I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2015 8:22 pm

It's extremely frustrating when idiot NRA gun fags say we should blame violence on video games more so than guns themselves. Study refutes link between violence and media 121042101
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

Canada

PostSubject: Re: Study refutes link between violence and media   Study refutes link between violence and media I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2015 8:30 pm

I agree. Guns are very violent, sentient beings. I was once beaten and raped by my uncles hunting rifle while the rest of the family was out. Truly a traumatic experience.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Study refutes link between violence and media   Study refutes link between violence and media I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2015 8:34 pm

That wasn't what I was implying. Although I do suppose the way I worded it made it seem like guns are people lol.

I was pointing at the logical fallacy of having the audacity to say we should be looking at ways to limit video games rather than the actual weapons being used to massacre people.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

Canada

PostSubject: Re: Study refutes link between violence and media   Study refutes link between violence and media I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2015 8:56 pm

How kind of you to give an example of a logical fallacy while referring to another. Study refutes link between violence and media 316888967  Maybe he should start calling you Mr. Teckno, or Sensei.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Study refutes link between violence and media   Study refutes link between violence and media I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2015 3:04 am

I do agree it's kinda ironic to look at something completely different than the actual weapon. Though neither are the cause, the cause is mentally unstable idiots.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Study refutes link between violence and media   Study refutes link between violence and media I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Study refutes link between violence and media
Page 1 of 1