Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sequels are good!

Go down 
+3
Bluenose
Jack the Spectre
Pickles1337
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Stature : 3

Sequels are good! Empty
PostSubject: Sequels are good!   Sequels are good! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 8:17 pm

Something I've noticed is that game critics and movie critics have different views on sequels.

Game critics see them as awesome yet movie critics see them as Hollywood trying to rake in as much cash as possible.

I've rarely heard any game critic hate on sequels.

They love sequels as evidenced by GameInformer's new issue which has Mass Effect 3 on the cover, as well as other magazine's and websites giving a sequel their full intention.

When a movie critic hears about a sequel they're reaction is:

"Oh great, another artsy meaningful film overshadowed by Big Momma's House 2".

Mass Effect 2 and Assassin's Creed 2 are both AAA games yet every movie sequel barely seems to get past 50% on RottenTomatoes.

My guess?

Game critics are less educated. Movie reviews are more elegantly written when compared to a game review. A review for Let Me In is of much higher quality than one written for Dead Space 2.

Also since games are different than movies, game critics rabidly snatch the next sequel of Mass Effect in hopes of having a more refined experience(mostly in terms of gameplay). Nobody wants to see how Coppola can improve upon Apocalypse Now? Do they?

Games are about interaction through gameplay. Everybody wants to play a more tightly-controlled Battlefield don't they?

Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Sequels are good! XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

Sequels are good! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sequels are good!   Sequels are good! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 8:55 pm

Game critics are not automatically less educated than film critics.

It's most likely the second thing you said. There are more aspects to a game than to a movie. If you have a problem with something in a movie, the filmmaker can't just write up a new script to fix those problems. Hopefully he or she will avoid those mistakes in their next movie. A game studio, on the other hand, CAN whip up a new game and fix those mistakes.

Also, there are some sequels that are better than the original.

-Toy Story 2 > the other two
-Star Wars: Episode V > the rest of them
-The Boondock Saints II as good as the first
-The Godfather: Part II > or = The Godfather (I personally disagree, but many will agree)
-Austin Powers 2 > the other two
-The Lord of the Rings gets better with each one.

Just a few examples of both personal preference and crowd preference.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Sequels are good! Empty
Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

Sequels are good! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sequels are good!   Sequels are good! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 9:02 pm

TRF wrote:

It's most likely the second thing you said. There are more aspects to a game than to a movie. If you have a problem with something in a movie, the filmmaker can't just write up a new script to fix those problems. Hopefully he or she will avoid those mistakes in their next movie. A game studio, on the other hand, CAN whip up a new game and fix those mistakes.

-The Godfather: Part II > or = The Godfather (I personally disagree, but many will agree)

I love you, Trf....
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

Sequels are good! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sequels are good!   Sequels are good! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 9:19 pm

Teckno wrote:
I love you, Trf....
Seeing Michael Corleone's subtle and slow descent into darkness is much more fascinating than seeing him already in it. That's why I like the first one more. Also because Don Corleone is a great character and isn't the same in the second one.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

Sequels are good! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sequels are good!   Sequels are good! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 10:07 pm

Sonic 06 is NOT a good sequel.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

Sequels are good! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sequels are good!   Sequels are good! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 10:49 pm

TRF wrote:

I agree on most of those except Toy Story. Personally loved the first one and hated the second.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

Sequels are good! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sequels are good!   Sequels are good! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 11:10 pm

TheJubJub5721 wrote:

I agree on most of those except Toy Story. Personally loved the first one and hated the second.
I thought the second was the best, followed by the first, then the third. I'm probably the only person who thinks the second is the best, but I've never met anyone who actually hates the second one.
Back to top Go down
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Sequels are good! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sequels are good!   Sequels are good! I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 11:24 pm

TRF wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:

I thought the second was the best, followed by the first, then the third. I'm probably the only person who thinks the second is the best, but I've never met anyone who actually hates the second one.

Well, I can't really say I hated it but I disliked. I also disliked the first. I don't think they should have continued after the first.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

Sequels are good! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sequels are good!   Sequels are good! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 12:40 am

As far as reviews go I think movie critics view a 50% as average while game reviewers see a 70% as an average.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

Sequels are good! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sequels are good!   Sequels are good! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 1:10 am

BlackStigma wrote:
As far as reviews go I think movie critics view a 50% as average while game reviewers see a 70% as an average.
That's generally the way Metacritic does it. A 65 for a game is one you'd want to avoid but a 65 for movies is something worth watching.
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Sequels are good! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sequels are good!   Sequels are good! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 4:18 pm

TRF wrote:

O rly?

Movie critics are like 50 year old people who wear monocles and discuss philosophy.

Game critics aren't like that and you know it!
Back to top Go down
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Sequels are good! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sequels are good!   Sequels are good! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 4:55 pm

Pickles1337 wrote:
TRF wrote:

O rly?

Movie critics are like 50 year old people who wear monocles and discuss philosophy.

I can wear monocles and discuss philosophy if I wanted. Does that mean I am more educated?
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

Sequels are good! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sequels are good!   Sequels are good! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 6:51 pm

I prefer the scale where 50 out of 100 is considered average; like it would logically be anyway.

With gaming anything in the 75 range is considered average....
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

Sequels are good! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sequels are good!   Sequels are good! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 7:05 pm

I personally view a 5/10 as "mediocre" and a 6/10 as "okay." I pretty much have the same scale for movies and games.
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Sequels are good! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sequels are good!   Sequels are good! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 7:55 pm

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
Pickles1337 wrote:
TRF wrote:

O rly?

I can wear monocles and discuss philosophy if I wanted. Does that mean I am more educated?

eye roll

Typically, movie reviews are written more "intellectually" than game reviews.

Which, if logic still exists, means movie critics are in Internet words: "moar smrt".
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

Sequels are good! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sequels are good!   Sequels are good! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 9:02 pm

Not necessarily true. The only reason movie reviews are more in-depth and intellectual is because the movie reviewer is only looking at story. A game reviewer has to look at story, gameplay, longevity, etc. A game reviewer could go in-depth with each aspect of a game, but the resulting review would most likely be five pages long.

Movie reviewers aren't automatically smarter than game reviewers, and this is coming from someone who wants to study film in college and become a movie reviewer.
Back to top Go down
Pickles1337
Grunt Leader
Grunt Leader
Pickles1337

Sequels are good! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sequels are good!   Sequels are good! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 2:30 pm

Hmmm...you're right, I guess.

Although I do wish developers take stories more seriously.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sequels are good! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sequels are good!   Sequels are good! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sequels are good!
Page 1 of 1