Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I don't think the sequels are working

Go down 
+4
Gordon Freeman
igame
Hydell
Stigma
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

I don't think the sequels are working Empty
PostSubject: I don't think the sequels are working   I don't think the sequels are working I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 3:09 am

Has anybody realized that sequels to exclusive PS3 games sell less copies than their predecessors?

Resistance 2 sold about 1.6 million units less than the first, Ratchet & Clank A Crack in Time sold about .8 million units less than Tools of Destruction, Motorstorm Pacific Rift sold 2.5 million less than the first, and LBP2 though close to LBP1 sales, is still lower. At six weeks it at 995K while the first was at 1128K in six weeks.

Killzone 2 had an opening week of a little over 750K, Killzone 3 had an opening week of about 500K.

Considering that when the sequels to those games came out the fanbase of the console was almost double of what it was when the predecessor came out it strikes me as odd.

Uncharted is like the one exception to high profile games that sold better than their predecessors. And don't say sales don't matter because that makes you sound ignorant. I think it's kinda funny. So are people actually gonna buy R3 or Infamous 2?
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: I don't think the sequels are working   I don't think the sequels are working I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 5:28 am

Resistance 1 and MotorStorm 1 were bundled with launch PS3's, people that may not have bought the games on their own got them anyway. I got Medal of Honor Airbourne with my PS3 and i wouldnt have bought it otherwise.

People might not have bought Killzone 3 as much because they probably thought the controls would be the same as Killzone 2 which put alot of people off (cod fans). LBP2 may have sold less because people may not see the need to buy it as LBP already has endless replay value.

Crack in Time did release about the same time as MW2 and Uncharted 2 aswell....not the best time to release a game IMO.

Infamous 2 and R3 will do alright i think, they will get the Kevin Butler treatment and actually be advertised lol.

Great thread, makes you think about when to release games and how word of mouth etc impacts sales.
Back to top Go down
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
igame

Stature : 39
in front of computer
Playing : comedy

PostSubject: Re: I don't think the sequels are working   I don't think the sequels are working I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 5:51 am

The first Resistance was the only good game to buy when it came out, i'm guessing thats why it sold well, Resistance 2 was a big let down for a lot of fans of the first, that could explain why it didn't sell as well, or maybe they didn't like the first and decided not to get the second.

Ratchet & Clank a Crack in Time could still catch up, but maybe people who were fans since the ps2 releases got tire of so many R&C games, i would.

Motorstorm was again the only good game when it came out, and it was pretty mind blowing at the time, at least i thought so. I don't remember seeing any advertising for Pacific Rift, or any hype.

LBP was release close to the holidays, while LBP2 was out after the holidays, i'm guessing thats the major factor of the difference in sales, the game appeals mostly to those of younger age, i don't think parents would want to buy a $60 game after they purchased gifts for Christmas time.

Killzone 3 sales might be explained by the games that came out this month, Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Bulletstorm being the two biggest ones. I can't think of any other explanation besides the game getting AA status and the controllers still not being COD like. But it was still the top weekly selling game on vgchartz.com.

I'm not trying to make excuses, just giving my thoughts on why they aren't selling through educated guessing.
Back to top Go down
Gordon Freeman
Background Character
Background Character
Gordon Freeman

Stature : 0

PostSubject: Re: I don't think the sequels are working   I don't think the sequels are working I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 6:21 am

i will be buying resistance 3, maybe borrow infamous 2 off a friend and i'll also be buying rachet and clank all 4 one
Back to top Go down
The Enkindler
Endgame Boss
Endgame Boss

Stature : 86
Greece
Playing : Plenty of games, and I can't count them.

PostSubject: Re: I don't think the sequels are working   I don't think the sequels are working I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 6:26 am

Sony just needs to advertise the hell out of the sequels if they want them to sell, for example they could bring the KB commercials into Europe and then keep airing them endlessly(Same goes for America and the rest of the world).

Just my 2 cents on this matter(I don't know that much about marketing).
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/azazel166
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: I don't think the sequels are working   I don't think the sequels are working I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 10:50 am

Im not sure but i think its because the first games like ressistance and tools of destruction were out when the ps3 still had a lack of exclusives. now that the library is wide people have more to choose and more to ignore.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: I don't think the sequels are working   I don't think the sequels are working I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 11:07 am

God of War 3 also sold more than its predecessors.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
NoelX2
Final Boss
Final Boss
NoelX2

Stature : 91
Playing : SF3

PostSubject: Re: I don't think the sequels are working   I don't think the sequels are working I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 7:41 pm

DukemNukem43 wrote:
Its because of the newer consoles. The first one because of the hype, second one because the consoles were just released.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/XNoel2?feature=mhum
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
igame

in front of computer

PostSubject: Re: I don't think the sequels are working   I don't think the sequels are working I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 2:10 am

ArcanaOfB3ast wrote:
DukemNukem43 wrote:
Its because of the newer consoles. The first one because of the hype, second one because the consoles were just released.

GTFO

GOW was released in 2005, it sold 3.75 million, and it did so because its a damn good game that was easy for anyone to pick up and play.
GOW2 was released in 2007, after the next gen consoles released and it managed to sell 3.53 million, a little behind the first.
GOW3 was released on 2010 and has sold 3.65 million, on a console with a smaller user base.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

I don't think the sequels are working XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: I don't think the sequels are working   I don't think the sequels are working I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 10:18 am

ArcanaOfB3ast wrote:
DukemNukem43 wrote:
That makes no sense. I can maybe understand the hype, but you honestly think the fact that the seventh gen consoles were out at the time of God of War II's release made it sell better? It's not like they JUST came out. When God of War II came out, the Xbox 360 had been released two years and the PS3 and Wii a year.
Back to top Go down
NoelX2
Final Boss
Final Boss
NoelX2

Stature : 91
Playing : SF3

PostSubject: Re: I don't think the sequels are working   I don't think the sequels are working I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 1:41 pm

igame wrote:
ArcanaOfB3ast wrote:
DukemNukem43 wrote:

GTFO

GOW was released in 2005, it sold 3.75 million, and it did so because its a damn good game that was easy for anyone to pick up and play.
GOW2 was released in 2007, after the next gen consoles released and it managed to sell 3.53 million, a little behind the first.
GOW3 was released on 2010 and has sold 3.65 million, on a console with a smaller user base.
I dont know anything bout GOW sales. I was just believing DukeNukem or whatever.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/XNoel2?feature=mhum
igame
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
igame

in front of computer

PostSubject: Re: I don't think the sequels are working   I don't think the sequels are working I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 4:05 am

ArcanaOfB3ast wrote:
igame wrote:
ArcanaOfB3ast wrote:
DukemNukem43 wrote:

GTFO

I dont know anything bout GOW sales. I was just believing DukeNukem or whatever.

Happens to everyone
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I don't think the sequels are working   I don't think the sequels are working I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I don't think the sequels are working
Page 1 of 1