Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Disney closes LucasArts

Go down 
+5
Azazel
Chobo
The Enkindler
Orion
Mecha
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Disney closes LucasArts  R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

Disney closes LucasArts  Empty
PostSubject: Disney closes LucasArts    Disney closes LucasArts  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 1:44 pm

Disney closes LucasArts  Star-w10

Quote :
Disney is closing its LucasArts game publishing arm. Game Informer has learned.

A representative confirmed the news with the following statement:

“After evaluating our position in the games market, we’ve decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company’s risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games.

“As a result of this change, we’ve had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles.”

Still developing……

Source: VG247
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

Disney closes LucasArts  TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: Disney closes LucasArts    Disney closes LucasArts  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 1:47 pm

Swamp Thing wrote:
Staff were informed of the shutdown this morning, according to a reliable Kotaku source. Some 150 people were laid off, and both of the studio's current projects--Star Wars: First Assault and Star Wars 1313--were cancelled. Disney will still use the LucasArts name to license games. Hypothetically, the company could license First Assault or 1313 to a different developer, but those would be different games entirely.

“After evaluating our position in the games market, we’ve decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company’s risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games," Disney said in a statement. "As a result of this change, we’ve had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles.”

This comes after weeks and months of rumors involving the studio, which was acquired by Disney last fall. In September, LucasArts put a freeze on all hiring and product announcements, which many staff saw as the beginning of the end. Today, it's official: the longrunning studio is no more.

The company was acquired as part of a mega-merger last year where Disney acquired LucasFilm and its sibling company from Lucas. Maniac Mansion, one of LucasArts' first self-published titles, introduced the "SCUMM" game engine driving several well known point-and-click adventure titles the company published into the 1990s. The Secret of Monkey Island, created by Ron Gilbert and co-written by Tim Schafer (both now at Double Fine), is one of the publisher's best-known graphical adventures using the engine.

The publisher's apogee was certainly in the 1990s, when a wave ofStar Wars-themed titles for the PC—such as Dark Forces, X-Wingand Rebel Assault—were supplemented by games like the strategy titleAfterlife, the Sam & Max series, and Schafer's Full Throttle.

In the 2000s, the company became more reliant on its Star Warsproducts and licenses sold to other developers as new efforts likeFracture failed to take hold. The decade's most notable successes—Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Star Wars: Battlefrontwere both externally developed, by BioWare and Pandemic Studios, respectively. LucasArts' last title to see mainstream success was 2008'sStar Wars: The Force Unleashed. A 2010 sequel didn't live up to expectations. The last game published by LucasArts was Kinect Star Wars for the Xbox 360 last year, a game widely panned by critics.

- http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749

They said nothing would happen to Marvel and it would have no effect. IT HAPPENED.
AND NOW THIS SHIT? FUCK U DISNEY
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Disney closes LucasArts    Disney closes LucasArts  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 2:04 pm

Disney closes LucasArts  IsvOtjO
Back to top Go down
The Enkindler
Endgame Boss
Endgame Boss

Stature : 86
Greece
Playing : Plenty of games, and I can't count them.

PostSubject: Re: Disney closes LucasArts    Disney closes LucasArts  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 2:47 pm

Disney closes LucasArts  All_hell_breaks_loose_by_dream_of_waking
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/azazel166
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Disney closes LucasArts  0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: Disney closes LucasArts    Disney closes LucasArts  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 2:48 pm

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/
Back to top Go down
Azazel
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Azazel

Disney closes LucasArts  5DfcoiC
Stature : 7
Equestria

PostSubject: Re: Disney closes LucasArts    Disney closes LucasArts  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 9:47 pm

Hey, Disney...

Disney closes LucasArts  Tumblr_m300p7KiHK1r33r0fo1_500
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Disney closes LucasArts    Disney closes LucasArts  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 9:52 pm

thats too bad. 1313 looked really good.
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: Disney closes LucasArts    Disney closes LucasArts  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 7:08 am

Goodbye Monkey Island and Grim Fandango Sad
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

PostSubject: Re: Disney closes LucasArts    Disney closes LucasArts  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 8:19 am

oh man how could i forget these guys made Monkey Island..... now i'm even more sad....
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Disney closes LucasArts  Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

PostSubject: Re: Disney closes LucasArts    Disney closes LucasArts  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 4:05 pm

Can't say I really care, to be honest. Disney closes LucasArts  725796345
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Disney closes LucasArts    Disney closes LucasArts  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 6:40 pm

Orion wrote:
oh man how could i forget these guys made Monkey Island..... now i'm even more sad....
Disney closes LucasArts  010

Recognize that bloke at the table?
Back to top Go down
NoelX2
Final Boss
Final Boss
NoelX2

Stature : 91
Playing : SF3

PostSubject: Re: Disney closes LucasArts    Disney closes LucasArts  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 8:17 pm

I never really cared for the LucasArts games (Except Monkey Island), but how absurd.

Really now.

Closing an exceptionally great studio is mind-boggling.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/XNoel2?feature=mhum
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Disney closes LucasArts    Disney closes LucasArts  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 11:34 am

Disney closes LucasArts  Wtf_is_this_shit_Very_Disturbing_Childrens_Book_RE_We_dont_say_ampquotGermanampquot_in_America-s400x297-59009

Fuck off Disney. SW 1313 had amazing graphics and could have been a pretty good game dealing with Boba Fett. Instead, this happens.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

UK

PostSubject: Re: Disney closes LucasArts    Disney closes LucasArts  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 11:49 am

Sawed-Off_Orc wrote:
Orion wrote:
Disney closes LucasArts  010

Recognize that bloke at the table?
dude from grim fandago..? i bought that game but never played it...
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

England

PostSubject: Re: Disney closes LucasArts    Disney closes LucasArts  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Yeah, Manny Calavera. Argh dude! Play it already. It will change your life forever. After completing that game you are just sitting in awe like "oh my god, that was beautiful".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disney closes LucasArts    Disney closes LucasArts  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Disney closes LucasArts
Page 1 of 1