Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism

Go down 
+9
ArchAngel
Archduke
Orc
Orion
Stoney
yonny616
Jack the Spectre
The Enkindler
Mecha
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism Empty
PostSubject: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 7:38 pm

God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism Tumblr39

Quote :
SCE Santa Monica has confirmed it will alter the name of one of God of War: Ascension’s trophies after an early review raised concerns.

Speaking to Joystiq, a representative for the developer confirmed that the trophy formerly known as “Bros Before Hos” will be renamed “Bros Before Foes”.

“We have created and will soon push out a patch for God of War: Ascension that alters the title of one of the game Trophies. The text was offensive to some members of our community and impacted their enjoyment of the game,” the rep said in a statement.

“We are endlessly committed to ensuring that our community can fully enjoy the experiences the team has created. As such, we’ve addressed the feedback and amended the Trophy in question.”

Concerns over the trophy were raised by Adam Sessler in a video review and are two-fold; first, the word “ho” is a sexist slur, and second, the trophy is awarded after Kratos commits a fairly brutal act of violence against a female character. In the context of the story the scene makes sense, but the celebratory trophy, which makes a point of highlighting the genders of the characters involved while invoking a slur, makes it all feel a little slimy.

The update will roll out at God of War: Ascension’s launch, which is March 12 in the US, March 13 in Europe, March 14 in Australia and March 15 in the UK.

Source: VG247
Back to top Go down
The Enkindler
Endgame Boss
Endgame Boss

Stature : 86
Greece
Playing : Plenty of games, and I can't count them.

PostSubject: Re: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 8:17 pm

Sony, don't give in to those self-righteous fucktard feminists!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/azazel166
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 8:41 pm

Javik the Prothean wrote:
Sony, don't give in to those self-righteous fucktard feminists!
It's not just self-righteous fucktard feminists that are pissed about this. It's a perfectly understandable complaint to make. Not one that I'd make, but the trophy makes a specific regard to violence towards women. Changing it to "Bros Before Foes" doesn't help, because it still sounds like "bros before hos." The problem isn't with the use of the word "ho." It's with the extreme violence used on the Furies, and then Santa Monica making into a joke about violence against women. Not just violence in general, but violence against a SPECIFIC gender.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 9:01 pm

Didn't know a harpy was a human female. This bullshit though. I didn't see anyone complain about WET. A game where you kill nothing but males as I recall. Bro's before Ho's is part of the "Bro Code". Also Bro's before Ho's (from what I remember) is used as a way to say you won't put a chick who has slept around with multiple guys (been around the circle) before your friends.

EDIT: I remember that women have a term like this too. It's Chick's before Dicks (something like that).
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 10:24 pm

The problem isn't with the phrase "Bros Before Hos." The problem isn't with you stomping a female Fury's head in. The problem is the conjunction of the two, making a joke that does not celebrate the brutal death of a Fury, but the brutal death of a woman. It's a joke that goes in conjunction with a horribly violent act done upon someone, and the joke is gender-specific.

It's so easy to see why people would be offended by this. It's because it's offensive.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 3:59 am

I find bro's before foe's funnier anyway.
Back to top Go down
The Enkindler
Endgame Boss
Endgame Boss

Greece

PostSubject: Re: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 5:32 am

God forbid that this game is rated M, I suppose they should also take out the nude women, because they are offensive.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 7:57 am

There've been plenty games that degrade women (Duke Nukem to name one), I didn't see everyone blowing it out of proportion. The only reason this got big was because that jackass Adam Sessler can't seem to take a joke. Plus from what I hear is that the trophy actually has a purpose since you fight a harpy where the Ho's are suppose to be (think the place is called a brothel).
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 11:49 am

So much sensitivity. I don't find it offensive therefore it should stay in.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 11:57 am

This is degrading to us women, im glad it's being changed!
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 1:37 pm

Seriously, people are so fucking over-sensitive these days.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 4:28 pm

Fucking crybaby bitches. SMH God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism 1443829230
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
ArchAngel
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ArchAngel

Stature : 20
Heaven
Playing : Sarcasm

PostSubject: Re: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 5:35 pm

Seems like everything is considered "offensive" today...

I dont understand why the biggest problem someone would have with God of War is a name of a trophy...
Back to top Go down
Azazel
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Azazel

God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism 5DfcoiC
Stature : 7
Equestria

PostSubject: Re: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 5:56 pm

How dare you suggest that people are sensitive, that is offensive to sensitive people. Razz.

Oh and by the way.

God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism DxuO0Uj
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 6:06 pm

blame the liberals
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 12, 2013 11:13 pm

It's tasteless and offensive for a lot of people. They're not "overly sensitive" for being shocked by a joke about women that's told RIGHT AFTER you brutally stomp one's head in.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 10:24 am

General Jack wrote:
It's tasteless and offensive for a lot of people. They're not "overly sensitive" for being shocked by a joke about women that's told RIGHT AFTER you brutally stomp one's head in.

It's an erinye, not a woman though. He stomps the head of an erinye, and even it was a woman, many men have their heads crushed via the boot of Kratos in past games.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 10:29 am

Yes but when Kratos does it to men are trophy doesnt pop up saying Males Have No Rights or Penises Are Dead
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 4:14 pm

Stoney wrote:
General Jack wrote:

It's an erinye, not a woman though. He stomps the head of an erinye, and even it was a woman, many men have their heads crushed via the boot of Kratos in past games.
It's a female. God of War has always given genders to the mythological creatures to make them look more realistic. And as I said before, the problem that people have isn't with Kratos boot-stomping the female. It's with the fact that such a brutal and violent act towards a female becomes a joke about women two seconds later.
Back to top Go down
The Enkindler
Endgame Boss
Endgame Boss

Greece

PostSubject: Re: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 4:48 pm

In Greek mythology the Furies(Erinyes) were the personifications of Guilt and Qualms, and they were widely considered malevolent in every way.
They do not have any connections with mortals and thus they were not considered to have a gender.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 5:16 pm

The Enkindler wrote:
In Greek mythology the Furies(Erinyes) were the personifications of Guilt and Qualms, and they were widely considered malevolent in every way.
They do not have any connections with mortals and thus they were not considered to have a gender.
That might be in the mythology, but tell me these aren't feminine:

God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism The_Furies_united

That's how they're portrayed in the game.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 16, 2013 3:25 pm

What, so anything with boobs is "feminine?"

You sexist pig.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 18, 2013 7:28 pm

Are you fucking serious? This is a mature rated game. Out of all the extreme amounts of violence in the God of War series THIS is what people bitch about? Give me a break.
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 2:51 pm

If you are ONLY JUST complaining about God of War (a game franchise where EVERY female you encounter can either be killed or fucked) being sexist towards females then you're doing it wrong. Jump off the wagon and get a grip.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 19, 2013 3:26 pm

I don't think you guys understand why people have a problem with this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism   God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

God of War: Ascension trophy to be renamed following criticism
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next