Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg

Go down 
+13
Bluenose
Dam_Noir
Stoney
igame
Pein
NoelX2
Pickles1337
Jack the Spectre
Archduke
Azazel
TheJubJub5721
Orc
Based Sonji
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Pick one
 Eminem
 Nas
 Snoop Dogg
View results
AuthorMessage
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg   Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 6:10 am

Ihsahn wrote:
Lykos wrote:

Breakdown? Do you not know anything about music? You know bring me the horizon. THEY have breakdowns. And shitty ones at that.
I don't think I can name even 2 bands I listen to that do break downs hahahahaha

as for road my life i bleed for my love... yeah, someone's musically ignorant...
That's EMO.
How can you associate whiney teenager bands with talented, sophisticated, cultured, musically intelligent metal bands? :)
Yeah because In Flames are talented, sophisticated, cultured and musically intelligent, right? Maybe in an alternate universe that's 15 years in the past they are.
They really were. Maybe in Lunar Strain, maybe Subterranean but mainly in Jester Race, Whoracle, Colony and Clayman there is no denying of their skill and sophisticated song writing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE8j7MNtkAc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeyFrzw2jBQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBHGazdsHoU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WzlNKp_niI

The only reason breakdowns get bad rep is because all the "SOOPER HXC STRAITEDGE4LYFE" scenester, hipster douchebags popularized it. There's nothing wrong with a breakdown that's used right and I hardly find that a reason to complain about Bring Me The Horizon, especially when you hear their latest album (which was actually not that bad when you consider the source - I'm not trolling either).

Fair play about breakdowns. I was just criticising the mention of breakdowns because the bands that I listen to that have breakdowns are some of my least favourites. In fact, breakdowns are generally my least favourite parts of music. I don't see how someone can even mention it with the intentions of criticising my taste. lol
I've heard a lot of bring me the horizon. I stand by my opinion. They are a bad band. Their songwriting simply isn't diverse. Their talent is certainly lacking. Oli cannot scream properly, especially not live where he covers the mic to make his screams sound better but really he's not using his diaphragm properly. The guitarist is alright but if you listen to some of his riffs, especially pray for plagues ... it's just intentional noise.

Metal is my favorite genre, but good god the elitism people suffer from is obnoxious.

Unless their "elitism" is well placed.

As for rap: just as talented, but in a different form. Stringing together rhymes that fit a beat isn't easy. The problem is that like a lot of metal there's a bunch of horribly awful shit to weed out. Complaining about the beat is silly, in my opinion, as its the end effect that matters. The coming together of the lyrics and beat to create a song that has rhythm and flow (something not a lot of metal bands do anymore because they get bad rep) is the appeal.

lol thanks for attempting to educate me but I know enough about rap thanks. I've asked Hypnotoad to send me for example, eminem's best work. And not only is there generally a lack of melody (even the backing music, wtf), the lyrics are horrible and so basic and look like they were written by a kid, the actual rapping ...well... it's just rythymic talking with an annoying 'gangsta' tone. The most impressive thing I saw done by a rapper is freestyle rapping but even then, there's no guarantee that the lyrics were made up on the spot and even if they were, they are not great lyrics tbh. And of course, I would not be able to freestyle better obviously lol, but would you rather have instantaneous mediocrity or a well planned and thought out masterpiece?
If you or anyone like rap, fine, that's your taste, but to claim bullshit like "eminem is the best modern poet" or that one of these rappers is "amazingly talented" yet cannot back it up with any evidence, you are just going to look ignorant.

And I know what you're going to say, that I don't like rap so my opinion doesn't count. Or something along those lines. Well actually I do on occasion find rap songs that appeal to me. I was in HMV once and a rap song was playing on the radio. I thought it was awesome, really well written. Lovely backing instrumental parts. So I memorised the lyrics, typed them into youtube to find the song. When I found it, I discovered that it had Kirk Hammett from Metallica playing in it. What does that tell you, I can spot talent XD

I think my biggest gripe with rap is that the song needs to have a good beat AND lyrics. I'm very picky about the rap I listen to.

Same. I actually like old Papa Roach. Just because it's quite powerful. I wouldn't claim that they were particularly talented. lol

Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg   Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 7:42 am

LMFAO @ The backing music being not that great.

Dr. Dre is one of the BEST in the beat-making 'art.'

You can say Em isn't the best, but God damn you have no ears if you call those beats shit.

EDIT: WTF? You don't need evidence to prove that something is amazing...
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

Stature : 4

PostSubject: Re: Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg   Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 3:31 pm

No need to inform me about In Flames. They were my first metal band, but I grew out of them once I realized that there are so many better bands. Oh and other than Pinball Map, Ordinary Story and Insipid 2000, Clayman & Colony suck. Colony is so overproduced it hurts.

I can mention in regards to your taste because a breakdown done right is a positive thing and I don't see why you think it's a bad thing. You don't spend time at that joke of a website Metal Archives, do you?

You're right Pray For Plagues is bad, but fast forward 4 years to their new CD and it's surprisingly decent. Trust me I hate Oli and the whole shitty fanbase of that band. But I was told that their newest album was actually kinda good and I was completely taken back by how much they've improved. Not saying you're going to like them now, but bitching about that album is a pretty outdated mindset.

As for the rap shenanigans, I completely disagree with Eminem being the best modern poet or even the best rapper. I mean he's good, but he's severely overrated.

I can back up rappers being amazingly talented. Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH3hrtp1T84
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9lNbNGbo24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR_cGmN0LU4

I understand the sentiment that rap sucks nowadays. Save for a few modern artists (like Trae), it's mostly about being witty and putting together meaningless words, but back in the day a lot of rap actually had meaning. "Gangsta" tones and all that shit is part of the style just like death metal bands growling and yelling into the mic or that southern twang that country musicians have.

PS: Elitism is never fine.

Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg - Page 3 XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg   Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 6:11 pm

Rap isn't about being witty nowadays. I like witty rappers, but the rappers of the mainstream today just aren't very clever (with some exceptions like B.o.B.)
Back to top Go down
TheStaticFox
Villager
Villager
TheStaticFox

Stature : 1

PostSubject: Re: Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg   Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 6:17 pm

TRF wrote:
Rap isn't about being witty nowadays. I like witty rappers, but the rappers of the mainstream today just aren't very clever (with some exceptions like B.o.B.)
In my opinion B.o.B and Lupe are keeping the mainstream interesting. Lupe isn't super mainstream but mainstream enough for Atlantic records to care about fucking with his albums :x
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg   Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 7:24 pm

I just listened to In Flames. God that shit sounds awful. And great songwriting? I just looked up lyrics for a bunch of their songs and it's all about pain and anguish.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg   Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 9:00 pm

TRF wrote:
It is about being witty. Granted hip hop has kinda always been this way, but back then artists were actually good (Redman & Method Man were amazingly clever).

As for In Flames: it depends entirely on what album you're talking about. Their past few albums have been nothing but generic pseudo-melo-death with pathetic angst lyrics.
Back to top Go down
NoelX2
Final Boss
Final Boss
NoelX2

Playing : SF3

PostSubject: Re: Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg   Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 9:28 pm

TheStaticFox wrote:
TRF wrote:
In my opinion B.o.B and Lupe are keeping the mainstream interesting. Lupe isn't super mainstream but mainstream enough for Atlantic records to care about fucking with his albums :x
I have to agree with that. I HATE MAINSTREAM RAP! But B.o.B and Lupe are good.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/XNoel2?feature=mhum
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg   Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 9:43 pm

Ihsahn wrote:
TRF wrote:
It is about being witty. Granted hip hop has kinda always been this way, but back then artists were actually good (Redman & Method Man were amazingly clever).

As for In Flames: it depends entirely on what album you're talking about. Their past few albums have been nothing but generic pseudo-melo-death with pathetic angst lyrics.
I don't see mainstream rappers today as being witty. Their lyrics aren't clever at all. It's all the same. Look at Eminem. His old stuff is great. Were the lyrics deep and meaningful? Far from it, but the lyrics were incredibly witty, clever, and quite humorous. Rappers of the modern mainstream lack that lyrical talent.

I listened to "Behind Space." Didn't like it.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg   Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 11:15 pm

Well yeah I didn't say they pulled off being witty. I just said that's what they're all about nowadays.
Back to top Go down
TheStaticFox
Villager
Villager
TheStaticFox

Stature : 1

PostSubject: Re: Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg   Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 12:17 am

Ihsahn wrote:
Well yeah I didn't say they pulled off being witty. I just said that's what they're all about nowadays.
I hate when people are witty for the sake of being witty and it doesn't work out. I like it if your witty and it has a good meaning behind it. But i would rather have them try to be witty than listen to gangter rap or most or the clubbing rap in the mainstream.
Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg   Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 12:57 am

I can dig witty rapping if it's actually witty. Not all rap, much like any music, has to have some subliminal meaning or purpose behind it. If it sounds good then why not?
Back to top Go down
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

PostSubject: Re: Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg   Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 7:51 am

Ihsahn wrote:
No need to inform me about In Flames. They were my first metal band, but I grew out of them once I realized that there are so many better bands. Oh and other than Pinball Map, Ordinary Story and Insipid 2000, Clayman & Colony suck. Colony is so overproduced it hurts.

I can mention in regards to your taste because a breakdown done right is a positive thing and I don't see why you think it's a bad thing. You don't spend time at that joke of a website Metal Archives, do you?

You're right Pray For Plagues is bad, but fast forward 4 years to their new CD and it's surprisingly decent. Trust me I hate Oli and the whole shitty fanbase of that band. But I was told that their newest album was actually kinda good and I was completely taken back by how much they've improved. Not saying you're going to like them now, but bitching about that album is a pretty outdated mindset.

As for the rap shenanigans, I completely disagree with Eminem being the best modern poet or even the best rapper. I mean he's good, but he's severely overrated.

I can back up rappers being amazingly talented. Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH3hrtp1T84
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9lNbNGbo24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR_cGmN0LU4

I understand the sentiment that rap sucks nowadays. Save for a few modern artists (like Trae), it's mostly about being witty and putting together meaningless words, but back in the day a lot of rap actually had meaning. "Gangsta" tones and all that shit is part of the style just like death metal bands growling and yelling into the mic or that southern twang that country musicians have.

PS: Elitism is never fine.

No, it's not that there are "so many better" bands, it's that your taste has changed (for the worse I'd say). And hahaha nice opinion, mine would differ. EVERY song on Jester Race, Whoracle, Colony and Clayman is imo, excellent. I couldn't name a bad In Flames song if I tried, other than on their newer albums. In fact how can you mention pinball map? It's my least favourite on the album, still great but not as good as the rest. The riff is dull in comparison. Neutral Also what happened to Embody, Resin, Satellites & Astronauts, Square nothing, etc? All great tunes!

Metal archives I stumbled across once when looking at Insomnium album reviews but I've not used it since. Also, the breakdown thing. I am not criticising breakdowns as such. I was merely loling at the fact that I was accused of listening to music primarily with breakdowns..... I don't see how that is the case nor understand why it was even brought up.

I heard their new album. One of my closest friends was blasting that when I was at his house once. Not only could I barely distinguish which track was which (most sounded the nearly fookin same) but it was dull... lack of interesting lead guitar, overdone + typical repetitive riffs and irritating vocals.
They seem to be one of those bands out to shock (like Anal Cunt) rather than to use their talent (if any) in a constructive, musical way.

right... link 1
LOL did you realise that the backing music (pretty lame anyway) was like a 3 second thing repeated OVER and OVER all the way through the song, never changing, never progressing.
The lyrics were alright, I don't particularly think they were good but they're better than most rap lyrics. The actual vocals..what makes this dude distinctive? He sounds just like any other rapper and it's worse that there's no melody to his vocal line and he doesn't even really change pitch or tone. lol
My opinion remains unchanged.

link 2
"i hate those muthafuckin posaz" "we don' make dose whack trax"
yeah...great lyrics.
The rapper sounds bored from start to finish, especially with that descending sound on the end of every word.
The backing suffers from the same utter fail as the previous "song". Fooking repetitive with only one change in the entire song.
My opinion remains unchanged.

link 3
Alright, much better backing but still a lot repetitive.
1:50 was horrible I can barely even hear the backing vocals at all. It's just pointless.
And yeah... I can't find lyrics anywhere so I'll let him off for that.

But either way, how do any of these above links show ANY talent or musical creativity in any way? Really?

lol
Quote :
just like death metal bands growling and yelling into the mic
that's the thing. I don't even like death metal bands "growling and yelling" into a mic. Because so many are utter shit. Like Prostitute disfigurement. Horrible lack of talent, stupid, repetitive, childish riffs, etc
I like a select few that I recognise are musically competant, have beautiful melodies and harmonies.
And tbh it's easier to rap than death growl anyway. As with death growling you have to learn to utilize your diaphragm for the growls rather than your throat. It's hard, I've tried so many times and never managed. lol

I tend not to associate myself with extreme death metal bands or rap bands. They are the different ends of the spectrum of music where it requires very little talent (except death growling and some lyric writing) and lacks much musicality.

If you like it, fair enough... I really don't understand how you can and never will but nevermind, I'll just listen to my superior music, elitist that I am (despite even bashing death metal as a genre) and I'll listen to the occasional rap song when there is someone featured in it who actually is musically competent.
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

LittleBigP

PostSubject: Re: Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg   Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 12:28 pm

^^

LOL @ Your backing music argument. That's not necessarily what rap is even about.

Also, you can't judge an entire song on one or two lines.

Some (Good rappers) send a message through their music. Listen to Flobots. They send messages of how corrupt our political system is and some other things. Hell, here's a link.

Back to top Go down
Ihsahn
Mini-Boss
Mini-Boss
Ihsahn

PostSubject: Re: Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg   Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 2:49 pm

Quote :
No, it's not that there are "so many better" bands, it's that your taste has changed (for the worse I'd say). And hahaha nice opinion, mine would differ. EVERY song on Jester Race, Whoracle, Colony and Clayman is imo, excellent. I couldn't name a bad In Flames song if I tried, other than on their newer albums. In fact how can you mention pinball map? It's my least favourite on the album, still great but not as good as the rest. The riff is dull in comparison. Also what happened to Embody, Resin, Satellites & Astronauts, Square nothing, etc? All great tunes!
Er - yeah there are way better bands. At the Gates is better than In Flames x1000 and had more influence on the metal scene. I mean I have to give them respect for getting me into metal, but if you think going from "My Sweet Shadow" off Soundtrack To Your Escape to loving bands like Atheist, Death and At the Gates is a devolution in taste then I begin to question yours. Well, more so than I already do.

Quote :
Metal archives I stumbled across once when looking at Insomnium album reviews but I've not used it since. Also, the breakdown thing. I am not criticising breakdowns as such. I was merely loling at the fact that I was accused of listening to music primarily with breakdowns..... I don't see how that is the case nor understand why it was even brought up.
Fair enough, then.

Quote :
I heard their new album. One of my closest friends was blasting that when I was at his house once. Not only could I barely distinguish which track was which (most sounded the nearly fookin same) but it was dull... lack of interesting lead guitar, overdone + typical repetitive riffs and irritating vocals.
They seem to be one of those bands out to shock (like Anal Cunt) rather than to use their talent (if any) in a constructive, musical way.
That's probably the biggest blanket argument I've ever seen and a huge cover up for "I've never heard it before." Like I said, you're still not going to like it and I completely understand, but bitching about their old music is outdated. They have improved tenfold if only because the new album has superb production and the music isn't soulless deathcore.

As for the whole rap thing... I just can't break through a thick skull. What makes old In Flames' vocals sound any different than the hundreds of metal bands? You mention Insomnium. What makes him sound any different than the thousands of guys growling into a mic? Your argument is contradictory.

Hell, the lyrics? You ACTUALLY think metal bands have good lyrics? There are a few here and there, but either it's immature QQ teenage emo shit or it's pseudo-intellectual babbling that doesn't make sense. Lord Hypnos from TJR is about dreams being a window into the subconscious. Because I haven't heard that before, right?

lol@no creativity. Yes because In Flames didn't just play simple death metal riffs with a contrasting melody over the top and infuse acoustic elements here and there. Derp?

Quote :
that's the thing. I don't even like death metal bands "growling and yelling" into a mic. Because so many are utter shit. Like Prostitute
I think you took what I said too literally here. That's all The Jester Race is. I will link you tracks from In Flames and if the forumgoers here can find any semblance of variation in his tone, please tell me.

Anders sounds the exact same in every song and is hardly distinguishable from every other metal band.

I have explained why I like rap, but you're too narrow minded to accept that not everything needs to have a guitar and drums to be good. Rap has rhythm. Rap also delivers messages in clever ways that aren't plastered with inane and misused vocabulary or manchild angst like metal. You'll never understand because you're too busy trying to nitpick and find ways to dismiss it. But the second someone tells you that a band you like isn't all that great you abandon all cognitive thinking. I don't want to call you a fanboy because I know you're better than that, but the symptoms are pretty similar.

Last edited by Ihsahn on Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

LittleBigP

PostSubject: Re: Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg   Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 2:52 pm

Quote :
There are a few here and there, but either it's immature QQ teenage emo shit or it's pseudo-inellectual babbling that doesn't make sense.

You, sir, are a genius.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

New York

PostSubject: Re: Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg   Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 4:41 pm

I think I love you, Ihsahn. I couldn't stop laughing at your post.

You really hit the nail on the head and basically summarized everything I've been thinking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg   Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Eminem vs Nas vs Snoop Dogg
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3