Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What genre will dominate next-gen?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

What genre will dominate next-gen? R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

What genre will dominate next-gen? Empty
PostSubject: What genre will dominate next-gen?   What genre will dominate next-gen? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 11:46 am

What genre will dominate next-gen? Temp1610

Quote :
There are a number of ways to discuss and argue the subject of "most popular genre."

This generation, most will quickly claim that it's obviously first-person shooters, as the Call of Duty franchise has dominated sales charts for years, and the Battlefield series has sold millions as well.

However, as some developers have said in the past, unless you've got "Call of Duty" or "Battlefield" in the title of your shooter, it's going to be a surprisingly difficult sell, regardless of critical acclaim; the Resistance and Killzone games never really sold as well as they should've, and other IPs like Singularity and RAGE fell short of expectations. Besides, going across the board, the very broad "action" genre is probably the biggest, especially with Grand Theft Auto leading the charge, followed closely (and eclipsed in terms of annual sales) by the blockbuster Assassin's Creed franchise.

Sports games have fallen off in popularity and the music/rhythm genre is all but dead, and you can't really expect role-playing games to gain the lead. The latter is simply far too niche, too hardcore, and with the gaming audience getting more casual by the day, there's little chance RPGs will ever "dominate" in terms of sales. So maybe it's just down between shooters and action - or action/adventure - in the next generation, unless something changes. New technology doesn't necessarily translate to new ideas, remember. Only occasionally.

Source: PSX
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

What genre will dominate next-gen? Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

PostSubject: Re: What genre will dominate next-gen?   What genre will dominate next-gen? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 11:58 am

Depends on how you define "Dominate" Next-Gen.

To me, shooters are dominating this gen purely because of how many there are, and how many games try to steal Call of Duty's thunder by adding in more guns and action. Which are the main components of shooters. And by Next-Gen, I don't see that changing. Not for a while.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: What genre will dominate next-gen?   What genre will dominate next-gen? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 1:44 pm

Me thinks we are going to be stuck with shooter dominated generations for a while.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

What genre will dominate next-gen? XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: What genre will dominate next-gen?   What genre will dominate next-gen? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 3:10 pm

Probably shooters.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: What genre will dominate next-gen?   What genre will dominate next-gen? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 3:27 pm

MMO shooters
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What genre will dominate next-gen?   What genre will dominate next-gen? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What genre will dominate next-gen?
Page 1 of 1