Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau

Go down 
+4
Mr Canai Spy
Hydell
Stoney
yonny616
8 posters
AuthorMessage
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau Empty
PostSubject: EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau   EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 3:14 pm

Quote :
EA's Labels president also tells us that NPD's monthly reports are "totally irrelevant"

Electronic Arts is one of the publishers in this industry that is at the forefront of the digital transition. The company recently had its first year of digital revenues over one billion dollars, and now EA is expecting that number to jump closer to $2 billion (guidance of $1.7 billion in digital revenues this year). For EA Labels boss Frank Gibeau, the business is clearly at a tipping point. He told GamesIndustry International recently that EA clearly will be 100 percent digital in the near future.

We asked Gibeau point blank when the company will have most, if not all, revenues coming from digital products. It's not as far off as one might think.

"It's in the near future. It's coming. We have a clear line of sight on it and we're excited about it. Retail is a great channel for us. We have great relationships with our partners there. At the same time, the ultimate relationship is the connection that we have with the gamer. If the gamer wants to get the game through a digital download and that's the best way for them to get it, that's what we're going to do. It has a lot of enhancements for our business. It allows us to keep more that we make. It allows us to do some really interesting things from a service level standpoint; we can be a lot more personalized with what we're doing," Gibeau enthused.

EA isn't about to abandon retail and its valuable retail partners tomorrow, though.

"But if customers want to buy a game at retail, they can do that too. We'll continue to deliver games in whatever media formats make sense and as one ebbs and one starts to flow, we'll go in that direction," Gibeau continued. "For us, the fastest growing segment of our business is clearly digital and clearly digital services and ultimately Electronic Arts, at some point in the future - much like your question about streaming and cloud - we're going to be a 100% digital company, period. It's going to be there some day. It's inevitable."

The fact that more and more of the industry is going digital opens up new avenues for EA and other gaming companies.

"For us, we're focused in on the fact that the gaming market overall is broad. You have more people playing games now than ever before in the history of the industry. There are more markets available to us - Asia, Brazil, Russia - a bunch of emerging markets that are legitimate and growing fast. We have more devices that we can publish across now. We used to publish across three platforms; now we're publishing across 14 or 15," Gibeau said.

"The advent of IP televisions and streaming - we'll be prepared for it. That'll be a way that we'll generate content and deliver it to customers in a high quality way. The next generation of hardware is going to come out. It's difficult to speculate what generation next would be after that, but there are opportunities in cloud and streaming that are very interesting to us and we have relationships with Gaikai and other companies where we've investigated a lot of that stuff and we clearly see our IP and our capabilities on the digital services front translating over very easily there."

Gibeau believes that some industry observers and investors are not grasping the complete picture. And part of the reason for that is the constant decline we've seen through NPD's monthly retail reports. Gibeau went so far as to say that EA all but ignores NPD's data now.

"I think one of the problems with this industry right now is that people tend to look at it like they're looking at an elephant through a straw. They only see a little parts of it and they're not looking at the total picture, right? Between Facebook, social, mobile, free to play on PC, Asia, consoles... it's a vibrant, growing, huge market. An occasional bad report from NPD, which measures a sliver of what's actually happening in gaming gives people an erroneous impression," he stressed.

Gibeau continued, "My point is it's an irrelevant measure on the industry. It's totally irrelevant. We don't even really look at it internally anymore. We're more focused on our services and how we're connected with consumers. The number of Nucleus accounts we're growing, the amount of engagement time that we have, the amount of services that we're running - those are more important metrics for us than unit sales according to NPD and North America. So your original question is about what comes next. It's growing. It's booming. It's big. Things are good. If cloud and streaming come on line at scale, we'll be in the position to do it and we're excited about it."
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-02-ea-is-going-to-be-a-100-percent-digital-company-period-says-gibeau
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau   EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 3:38 pm

I really don't see the gaming industry going all out digital for another 10 years or so, broadband availability, data caps, speed etc are still relatively poor world wide.

Would EA really sacrifice, well take a huge gamble, on there yearly retail sales of FIFA which are near the 12 million mark? That's a potential $700 million plus in retail alone, on the FIFA series, alone.
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau   EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 5:58 pm

Why can't these people just get it through their thick fucking heads that we don't want non-physical content that we don't really own and can't re-sell or lend to a friend.

Fuckin Class A spastics.
Back to top Go down
Mr Canai Spy
Mid-Boss
Mid-Boss
Mr Canai Spy

Stature : 47
Weymouth
Playing : halo 5, rise of the tomb raider

PostSubject: Re: EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau   EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 6:25 pm

EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau 1443829230 I can see it now EA goes digital, everyone follows suit, consoles die out, angrybirds becomes the biggest selling game ever. Well its been fun guys, nice knowing ya.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau   EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 6:44 pm

Screw off with that. The only thing they're "excited" about is finding another way to gain and keep loads of cash. They desperately want the used game market out of the way.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau   EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 1:00 am

games 100% digital

still 60$

yep
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau   EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 5:08 pm

Well as long as free trade exists then i will always be able to get one over on EA. I just use my strategy of waiting for game prices to come down then getting them brand new for £15 and i dont have to get their bullshit online pass.
Back to top Go down
ArchAngel
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ArchAngel

Stature : 20
Heaven
Playing : Sarcasm

PostSubject: Re: EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau   EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 3:25 am

You guys have no idea how much I despise digital distribution...

You guys also have no idea how much I hate EA...
Back to top Go down
Mikenuge
Guard
Guard
Mikenuge

Stature : 39
UK
Playing : With my small penis

PostSubject: Re: EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau   EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 5:23 am

i dont see it happening on consoles any time soon but if it does it has to be done correctly similar to steam

retail pc games are practically extinct

Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau   EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2012 2:40 pm

I won't be buying another EA game when they go all-digital. I prefer the physical copies of my games.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau   EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

EA is "going to be a 100% digital company, period" says Gibeau
Page 1 of 1