Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reply to topic

Digital Refunds

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Orc
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Orc

Stature : 173
England
Playing : Pokemon Omega Ruby

Digital Refunds Empty
PostSubject: Digital Refunds   Digital Refunds I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 2:28 pm

Personally I think there's a massive opportunity missed in the digital scene.

Take the Android store for example. Buy a game or app. Within an hour of buying it, should it not be to your satisfaction you can claim a full refund back.
When it comes to AAA video games on console, this feature would open a whole different kettle of fish. I mean think about it, 1 hour isn't always enough to know whether a video game is worth your money or not. And if it is a super short game, say Amazing Spider-Man 2, and you paid the full price for it, of course you're going to feel like you wasted your cash, and that game is (seemingly) forever tied to your account and you can't get rid of it or claim any money back.

Well, here is my proposal.

Take any online DRM service, be it Steam or PSN or Xbox Live or anything else. Imagine a system where every digital game has decreasing value with time, and this is usually the case, though not as significantly as with physical media.
But imagine having the freedom to sell your game back at any time, removing it from your account and making some of that money back. Now you're thinking, this couldn't happen, the companies would be making losses.
Well, not exactly. Let's say you bought a game like InFamous shortly after release for $60. Then you beat it in a day or two, and feel like you're not going to play it again. PSN could have a system where you can sell it back but of course for decreased value depending on how many hours you've put in, or how long the game has been out for. Let's say it gives you $20 for it. But of course, not real currency but virtual currency only for use within its respective service, and of course it can't be stacked but that trade-in cash can be used as a discount for the next full-priced game they buy on the store. Then this gives gamers incentive to buy MORE games from the store. And of course they will have to pad out this discount with real money, so ultimately, it could lead to more sales. Discounted? Yes, but for digital copies!

I personally think this would be the way forward. It would benefit both the consumer and the companies themselves.

What are your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

Digital Refunds ZDL7A4I
Stature : 342
Canada
Playing : Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Ys: Celceta
Watching : Darksydephil

Digital Refunds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Refunds   Digital Refunds I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 2:32 pm

Not a good idea. Accounts with digital games would suddenly become much more valuable, and everyone would try to hack and sell them.
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Digital Refunds StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

Digital Refunds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Refunds   Digital Refunds I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 4:30 pm

By Australian law, I could demand a refund.

Back in early or mid 2000's, EBgames use to have that 7 day money back guarantee for new and used games if you didn't like the game. People just abuse the shit out of it by beating a game in a couple days and taking it back for a different game.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Digital Refunds Empty
Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

Digital Refunds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Refunds   Digital Refunds I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 5:52 pm

2Sugoi2Die wrote:

Back in early or mid 2000's, EBgames use to have that 7 day money back guarantee for new and used games if you didn't like the game. People just abuse the shit out of it by beating a game in a couple days and taking it back for a different game.

I'm pretty sure people do the same with Gamestop games in America.

Their refund policy is pretty flexible.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Digital Refunds StDQek0

Digital Refunds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Refunds   Digital Refunds I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 6:04 pm

DaTeckno wrote:
2Sugoi2Die wrote:

Do they still have the store policy in America? EBgames here removed policy for non-members (EB world).
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Digital Refunds Empty

Digital Refunds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Refunds   Digital Refunds I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 5:03 pm

2Sugoi2Die wrote:
DaTeckno wrote:
2Sugoi2Die wrote:

Do they still have the store policy in America? EBgames here removed policy for non-members (EB world).

I believe so. The policy isn't that if you don't like the game, it's just you can return within an allotted time for whatever reason.
Back to top Go down
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

Digital Refunds ZDL7A4I
Canada

Digital Refunds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Refunds   Digital Refunds I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 5:15 pm

DaTeckno wrote:
2Sugoi2Die wrote:
DaTeckno wrote:
2Sugoi2Die wrote:

I believe so. The policy isn't that if you don't like the game, it's just you can return within an allotted time for whatever reason.

Seriously? That's a pretty risqué policy.

People still abuse the shit out of Wal-Mart here. If you accidentally break a game disk, you can buy a new one at Wal-Mart and "return" the broken one. It's incredible refunds are still a thing considering how abused they are.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Digital Refunds Empty

Digital Refunds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Refunds   Digital Refunds I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 5:28 pm

Angelus wrote:
DaTeckno wrote:
2Sugoi2Die wrote:
DaTeckno wrote:
2Sugoi2Die wrote:

Seriously?  That's a pretty risqué policy.  

People still abuse the shit out of Wal-Mart here.  If you accidentally break a game disk, you can buy a new one at Wal-Mart and "return" the broken one.  It's incredible refunds are still a thing considering how abused they are.

Well Walmart has the highest revenue out of any company in the world. I guess they just don't give a fuck enough cause they are too busy counting their stacks.
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Digital Refunds StDQek0

Digital Refunds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Refunds   Digital Refunds I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 6:16 pm

DaTeckno wrote:
Angelus wrote:
DaTeckno wrote:
2Sugoi2Die wrote:
DaTeckno wrote:

People still abuse the shit out of Wal-Mart here.  If you accidentally break a game disk, you can buy a new one at Wal-Mart and "return" the broken one.  It's incredible refunds are still a thing considering how abused they are.

Well Walmart has the highest revenue out of any company in the world. I guess they just don't give a fuck enough cause they are too busy counting their stacks.

Massive retail stores make a lot of money in other departments unlike EBgames/Gamestop which only make money from games.

EB games here, you cannot get a refund of any game that has a online pass or DLC codes.
Back to top Go down
Angelus
The Red Dragon
The Red Dragon
Angelus

Digital Refunds ZDL7A4I
Canada

Digital Refunds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Refunds   Digital Refunds I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 15, 2014 7:37 pm

2Sugoi2Die wrote:
DaTeckno wrote:
Angelus wrote:
DaTeckno wrote:
2Sugoi2Die wrote:
DaTeckno wrote:

Massive retail stores make a lot of money in other departments unlike EBgames/Gamestop which only make money from games.

EB games here, you cannot get a refund of any game that has a online pass or DLC codes.

That makes sense. EBGames/GameStop has a completely obsolete business model, and they're holding the industry back. They've completely failed to adapt to the growing digital market. Normally I'd be interested when a business was in this position, but they're just being stubborn until they fall off the Earth.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Digital Refunds Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digital Refunds   Digital Refunds I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Digital Refunds
Page 1 of 1