Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Will video games ever get their Oscars?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Will video games ever get their Oscars? R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

Will video games ever get their Oscars? Empty
PostSubject: Will video games ever get their Oscars?   Will video games ever get their Oscars? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 11:07 pm

Will video games ever get their Oscars? Oscara10

Quote :
So the Oscars are on right now, and although movies aren't quite what they used to be (IMO), this is still a production that is seen by a billion people around the world.

Depending on the numbers and sources you use, the video game industry is just as big as Hollywood. However, while interactive entertainment has certainly made significant strides over the decades, it remains in the shadow of film, and perhaps always will. But given the current situation and the fact that gaming will only get more and more popular - and more and more mainstream - in the coming years, one has to wonder: will gaming ever get its Oscars?

I suppose the Spike TV Video Game Awards could become our Oscars, but I dunno...I'm sorry, but I think the "Spike TV" part doesn't carry the same prestige and cache and let's face it, the pre-show red carpet affair is basically nonexistent. What we need is a game awards ceremony on a major network, during prime-time, with all the A-listers on hand. The only problem is that, as we've discussed before, the video game "celebrities" are all behind-the-scenes and as such, they're not always great in front of a camera. They're not glitzy and beautiful people (at least, not always). We just won't ever have the same shiny, glossy glamour.

Still, I'd like to think we'll continue to make strides, and we'll eventually have an awards ceremony that gamers and all industry professionals can be proud of. By the way, congrats to Christopher Plummer, who just became the oldest actor to ever win an Oscar (Best Supporting Actor).

Source: PSX
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: Will video games ever get their Oscars?   Will video games ever get their Oscars? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 11:20 pm

Has nobody fucking heard of the AIAS?

Maybe i should work for PSX instead of that author...
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Will video games ever get their Oscars? StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: Will video games ever get their Oscars?   Will video games ever get their Oscars? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 12:44 am

Sexton_Hardcastle wrote:
Has nobody fucking heard of the AIAS?

Maybe i should work for PSX instead of that author...
Beat me to it lol.

Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Will video games ever get their Oscars? XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Will video games ever get their Oscars?   Will video games ever get their Oscars? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 7:30 am

I think he means in terms of coverage. Are the AIAS awards televised? Unfortunately, I don't think video games will be recognized as an art form legitimate enough to warrant a big award show akin to the Emmys, Grammys, and Oscars.

Yet Chris Brown can win a Grammy and that's art apparently. :fuckthat:
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Will video games ever get their Oscars?   Will video games ever get their Oscars? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 7:55 am

People are just to retarded to see the potential in video games as a serious form of storytelling and art.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Will video games ever get their Oscars? XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Will video games ever get their Oscars?   Will video games ever get their Oscars? I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 8:03 am

Toxicmaniac wrote:
People are just to retarded to see the potential in video games as a serious form of storytelling and art.
We as gamers know otherwise, but those who aren't into video games base their opinions on what they hear in the mainstream media, and unfortunately, the mainstream media generally has nothing nice to say about video games.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will video games ever get their Oscars?   Will video games ever get their Oscars? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Will video games ever get their Oscars?
Page 1 of 1