Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs

Go down 
+3
Hydell
Stoney
Mecha
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs Empty
PostSubject: Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs   Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 1:41 am

Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs Memes-ha-ha

Quote :
Although the digital age continues to grow and expand, not everyone expects the new video game consoles to abandon physical media.

Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia told IndustryGamers that the next-generation systems are "likely to be primarily disc-based.

Furthermore, Sony boss Andrew House just recently said they're a long ways from delivering "top-end experiences" in purely digital format. EA COO Peter Moore was quoted as saying that his company might be the last to sell a disc-based game and by then, they'll be making "billions of dollars in digital." The bottom line is that despite some alarmist opinions, the discs are here to stay...at least for now and the foreseeable future.

It'll be interesting to see how the industry stands when the new PlayStation arrives, though. Things change awfullyquickly.

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps4-news/3.html
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs   Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 4:58 am

Not a surprise, people aren't ready to "all digital", not everyone nor everywhere as high speed internet, a LOT of territories have a bandwidth limit on how much usage you have etc etc.

Maybe in 10 years or so we'll go "all digital", not anytime soon. I'd prefer disc based games anyway, DD is good for the likes of Trials HD, Shadow Complex etc etc.

IMO.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs   Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 4:59 am

I agree with Stoney, i can easily see a future with DD but just not right now.
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs   Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 7:20 am

I'm one of those people who actually likes to physically own my purchase and have them stacked on a shelf. I feel it has more value than a piece of digital content.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs   Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 7:32 am

Even digital movies don't look as good as Blu-ray.
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs   Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 7:44 am

Reaper wrote:
I'm one of those people who actually likes to physically own my purchase and have them stacked on a shelf. I feel it has more value than a piece of digital content.
This

I rather build a collection which I can look back on in the future.
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs   Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 12:59 pm

I do not want content to go all digital anytime soon. As soon as they can make digital content that can be put on any entertainment device and stored in a cloud, then we'll talk. But until then, I'm sticking to my Blu-Rays and My VHS's. I hate DVDs.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs   Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 2:49 pm

Mecha wrote:
Even digital movies don't look as good as Blu-ray.

Well with games there isn't a difference in quality between the 2 mediums. I think game discs are here to stay for another 10-20 years though until everyone's internet is fast enough for high quality streaming and downloading.

TBH I don't see why it has to be one or the other. You can find a ton of retail games on PSN/XBL, so that option is available for people that have great internet connections. I think there will be a digital/disc version of every game next gen.

Last edited by The_Biotic_God on Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs   Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 5:55 pm

Agreed. I would hate for gaming to go digital-only. It feels just so much better purchasing the game in a case with a disc.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs   Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Analyst: Next-Gen Consoles Won't Abandon Game Discs
Page 1 of 1