Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.

Go down 
+8
The_Biotic_God
Bluenose
BioDemon
2Sugoi2Die
Mecha
Stoney
RamboOnRedBull
Archduke
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  Empty
PostSubject: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 1:27 pm

http://games.ign.com/articles/121/1214596p1.html

IMO, I agree. Rising just looks awful and not a metal gear game at all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

PostSubject: Re: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 1:46 pm

What Duke said.

Plus, all you need to do is remove the "Metal Gear" from the title, and replace Raiden with some other queer and you have a totally new franchise Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  2505020059
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Final Boss
Final Boss
Stoney

Stature : 176
The Gutter
Playing : Rocket League is Awesome

PostSubject: Re: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 1:48 pm

Well the game is not canon to the story so it won't make Snake seem "insignificant". It has zero connection to the universe Raidan was in previously, (MGS 2, MGS 4).

Since the changed the mechanics from Technu to Bayonetta I lost a lot of interest in it.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 4:08 pm

Its called a spin-off. Personally i'm glad that they are finally making a game again that doesn't have a cutscene every 2 steps.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 4:13 pm

Toxicmaniac wrote:
Its called a spin-off. Personally i'm glad that they are finally making a game again that doesn't have a cutscene every 2 steps.

So, you're glad they're turning one of, if not THE best stealth games into a pointless sword fighting game, that's about cutting and gutting?....
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 4:56 pm

Toxicmaniac wrote:

That's easy for you to say. You're not even a fan.

How would like it if they made a hack and slash Halo game that has nothing with the spartans?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Mecha wrote:
Toxicmaniac wrote:

How would like it if they made a hack and slash Halo game that has nothing with the spartans?
I even enjoyed halo wars.........
Its all a matter of if the game developer can handle the IP. And platinum games is the best one to do this.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 5:39 pm

Toxicmaniac wrote:
Mecha wrote:
Toxicmaniac wrote:

Its all a matter of if the game developer can handle the IP. And platinum games is the best one to do this.

So you wouldn't mind it if they removed the guns from Halo and gave you swords instead, while they replaced the spartans with Marines, and put the game in a WW2 military setting, where you'd be fighting Adolf Hitler and his army of queers?
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 6:51 pm

Metal Gear is the universe, Solid is the franchise, Raising is a spin-off.
Saying this game will ruin MGS is like saying a Luigi's Mansion will ruin Mario.

Everything Platinum Games have touched so far has been stellar.
Back to top Go down
BioDemon
Graphics Mudokon
Graphics Mudokon
BioDemon

Stature : 48
America

PostSubject: Re: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 8:46 pm

Padders wrote:
Saying this game will ruin MGS is like saying a Luigi's Mansion will ruin Mario.

Fucking this.

Jesus Christ, give the game a chance people.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 9:13 pm

Padders wrote:

The truth my friends.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 9:22 pm

Padders already took the words out of my mouth. Metal Gear is the universe the game takes place in, that's why it's called Metal Gear Rising and not Bayonetta 2 or something.

I don't understand why haters are putting so much emphasis on the title of the game. Whether it'll be called "Metal Gear" or "PileOfShit" the content is ultimately what it will be judged by.

BTW, a hack and slash Halo spin-off would be fucking epic if done right.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 9:24 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
So you wouldn't mind it if they removed the guns from Halo and gave you swords instead, while they replaced the spartans with Marines, and put the game in a WW2 military setting, where you'd be fighting Adolf Hitler and his army of queers?
Then it wouldn't even be a Halo game because it would have absolutely zero connection to the story. Revengeance has a connection. The article's arguments are weak.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 9:30 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Toxicmaniac wrote:
Mecha wrote:
Toxicmaniac wrote:

The difference is that rising is still set in the same universe and provide the same kind of enemies. Hell even metal gear ray was shown in that trailer..... So how is that comparable with halo turning all WW2? Do you have any knowledge of the fucking MGS universe in general?
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 10:28 pm

Thing is, we don't want a spin-off. We want a REAL Metal Gear game. Not some hack and slash game that isn't even worthy of the name Metal Gear. Despite taking place in the same universe. If I wanted to play a hack and slash game, I would play Devil May Cry instead.
Back to top Go down
The Enkindler
Endgame Boss
Endgame Boss

Stature : 86
Greece
Playing : Plenty of games, and I can't count them.

PostSubject: Re: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Mecha wrote:
Thing is, we don't want a spin-off. We want a REAL Metal Gear game. Not some hack and slash game that isn't even worthy of the name Metal Gear. Despite taking place in the same universe. If I wanted to play a hack and slash game, I would play Devil May Cry instead.
I'd play a Hack n' Slash game that has all of the characters untouched rather than play a Hack n' Slash that totally made the main character look like an Emo.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/azazel166
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 10:58 pm

Mecha wrote:

Then don't buy Rising. Considering it's being handled by a different dev, I doubt Rising is cutting into the development time of a "real Metal Gear" game.

If Platinum Games was doing an actual Metal Gear Solid game, then you'd just be bitching about the fact that it's not being made by Kojima.
Back to top Go down
Based Sonji
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Hip-Hop Enthusiast
Based Sonji

Stature : 91
LittleBigP
Playing : Teckno Is MJ

PostSubject: Re: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 10:59 pm

Game will be awesome.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 2:08 am

The_Biotic_God wrote:
Mecha wrote:

Then don't buy Rising. Considering it's being handled by a different dev, I doubt Rising is cutting into the development time of a "real Metal Gear" game.

If Platinum Games was doing an actual Metal Gear Solid game, then you'd just be bitching about the fact that it's not being made by Kojima.

Nah. I'm still going to buy it because I'm a completist, and a hack and slash fan.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 6:25 am

TRF wrote:
RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Then it wouldn't even be a Halo game because it would have absolutely zero connection to the story. Revengeance has a connection. The article's arguments are weak.

The problem is that "Metal Gear" is what's synonymous with the Stealth genre.

Taking the Metal Gear universe and turning it into a pointless Hack 'n' Slash sword fighting game is not only the worst thing that could happen, but also, it's like taking Mass Effect and turning it away from the RPG genre and taking it into something that's the COMPLETE OPPOSITE.

It's not just that they're changing the genre into a different one. it's that THE SWORD FIGHTING GENRE IS THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE OF THE STEALTH GENRE. Therefore, not only putting it into that, but also using Raiden (whom has already finished his storyline) is the dumbest and cheapest thing you could do.

Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 7:26 am

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
The problem is that "Metal Gear" is what's synonymous with the Stealth genre.

Taking the Metal Gear universe and turning it into a pointless Hack 'n' Slash sword fighting game is not only the worst thing that could happen, but also, it's like taking Mass Effect and turning it away from the RPG genre and taking it into something that's the COMPLETE OPPOSITE.

It's not just that they're changing the genre into a different one. it's that THE SWORD FIGHTING GENRE IS THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE OF THE STEALTH GENRE. Therefore, not only putting it into that, but also using Raiden (whom has already finished his storyline) is the dumbest and cheapest thing you could do.

Dude, it's a spin-off, and it's made by a different dev so it's not going to affect whatever new Metal Gear game comes next. This isn't the first time a spin-off has changed the genre. Halo Wars, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, Pokémon Ranger, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Mario Party, Mario Kart, the Mario sports games, hell, Mario itself is a spin-off of Donkey Kong.

I can understand being upset if Revengeance shifted the focus of the whole series, but it's not so there's really nothing to worry about. It's just another game. No one's forcing you to play it, and, as stated before, it's not going to affect the development of future Metal Gear games.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 7:40 am

Mecha wrote:
YOU don't want a spin-off. Doesn't mean its not worthy of the metal gear franchise.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 8:01 am

@TRF

Good points. But I still stand by what I previously said; since it's NOTHING like Metal Gear, they should remove that out of the title.

I understand that it's a spin-off and therefore is different. But my main problem is that it seems like a cheap way to gather ineterest from people, and sell millions of copies due to the name alone.

Like you said, it's not even part of the same storyline, nor does it have anything to do with the other MGS games, therefore it SHOULD NOT have the title it has, since it has NOTHING in common, besides the character and title that is.

Looks at it this way; if you replace Raiden with someone else and change the title you have A COMPLETELY NEW IP. You can't say the same about Halo: Wars nor about about most of the spin-offs you listed.

You may not understand it, but for a MGS fan, who has followed the story and supported the games since day 1, this seems like the cheapest way to gather interest and sell.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 9:05 am

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
@TRF

Good points. But I still stand by what I previously said; since it's NOTHING like Metal Gear, they should remove that out of the title.

I understand that it's a spin-off and therefore is different. But my main problem is that it seems like a cheap way to gather ineterest from people, and sell millions of copies due to the name alone.

Like you said, it's not even part of the same storyline, nor does it have anything to do with the other MGS games, therefore it SHOULD NOT have the title it has, since it has NOTHING in common, besides the character and title that is.

Looks at it this way; if you replace Raiden with someone else and change the title you have A COMPLETELY NEW IP. You can't say the same about Halo: Wars nor about about most of the spin-offs you listed.

You may not understand it, but for a MGS fan, who has followed the story and supported the games since day 1, this seems like the cheapest way to gather interest and sell.
It has alot of enemies and the universe itself in common. Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  1443829230
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 9:31 am

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
@TRF

You're just being stubborn now.

Metal Gear is the universe, the game takes place in this universe therefore the title Metal Gear is applicable. Now let's be smart about this shall we? If they did take out the Metal Gear name and called it something different, people assume it's a new IP all together. But once they play the game and see the underlining similarities between this new titled game and Metal Gear Solid, people will assume the developers lost creativity. That's why it's meant to be a SPIN OFF with the title Metal Gear or else people will think it's totally new IP void of anything in common with the Metal Gear Solid series, which it isn't. It will have stuff in common cause the overall universe will stay the same.

And that criteria to be a new IP is totally retarded. Let's say they replaced it Mario with a made up character called "Rarrr" and changed the title to "Rarrr the adventurer", but the gameplay is exactly the same within the same universe, how the fuck can you call that a new ip? If anything is cheap, your definition of a new IP is.

And it's not going to be cheap if this Metal Gear spin off turns out to be great. If they worked hard and made it fantastic, then you can call it cheap all you want while the rest of us will be enjoying a great game.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.    Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will ruin Metal Gear.
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next