Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy.

Go down 
+6
The_Biotic_God
Chobo
Archduke
2Sugoi2Die
Blixtstorm
ghost23
10 posters
AuthorMessage
ghost23
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ghost23

Stature : 11
Australia

Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy. Empty
PostSubject: Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy.   Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 8:20 am

It's a tough ask of your fans to release a game just a week after the biggest (in terms of content) game of the year, especially since we have played basically very similiar games for the past two years. Since Assassin's Creed II is my favourite game of this generation, and Brotherhood was a worthy follow-up albeit not incredible, it saddens me that Revelations was a bit of a disappointment. Here's why:

Story
Revelations continues Desmond's story right after the events of Brotherhood.
Spoiler:
Meanwhile, Ezio Auditore discovers secret documents hidden by his father, Giovanni, which says that there is a secret room hidden under the walls of Masyaf created by Altair.
This sets up the basic premise of the entire game as Ezio must find the five keys of Altair in order to unlock the entrance. Using these keys, Ezio relives the memories of Altair following the events of AC1, all the way until his final days as a mentor of the Assassin's. There is also a seperate subplot that forms within Constantinople between two brothers fighting to be the successor of the Sultan. Overall, I found the Constantiople story not to be all that interesting however Altair's story had some incredible moments as we see his transformation from an arrogant prick in AC1 to a wiser man.
Personally, one theme that I thought was missing from Ezio's story was the element of family. Ezio's struggle to protect his family was such a central plot point of both AC2 and Brotherhood, but it was almost non-existant in Revelations apart from occassional letters to his sister. Nevertheless, Ezio's conclusion is still satisfying for fans who have been invested in his story. Despite being lacking for the majority of the game, the story really picks up in the last quarter and the ending will leave you more WTF than the previous games.

Story- 7

Graphics
There is no doubt that the Anvil engine is some pretty dated technology at this point. Given the one year development cycle, it is nice to see some great additions to the engine such as more realistic facial rendering which can really add to the emotion of some of the more intimate moments. Overall, the game doesn't look too different from Brotherhood.
The design of Constantinople is really interesting since it is a mix of the Italian Renaissance design of AC2 and Brotherhood, along with some of the Arabic design of AC1. Once again, the city is faithfully recreated by Ubisoft, however, I just can't help but feel there isn't that magic feeling about the city the way that Florence and Venice sticks in your mind from AC2.

Graphics- 7

Gameplay
Probably the most disappointing part of Revelations. The big selling point of this game was the hook-blade which was supposed to increase your movements speeds through the use of ziplines and extended reach when climbing. While Brotherhood additions to combat completely changed the way you approach combat, Revelations' additions don't really change the way you approach navigation. You are still doing the basic holding two button climbing although it is sometimes a litter faster. Zipline movement is also based on downward momentum so that renders them completely useless if you are trying to navigate the city from the other direction.
Every gameplay feature from Brotherhood returns with the exception of horses.
Bombcrafting was another feature that was heavily advertised, but I think I used it about twice throughout the game since it is not really a necessity when approaching your missions.
Revelations fails to make any major leaps in gameplay that Brotherhood made.

Gameplay- 6

Replay Value
The main story will clock you in about 10 hours. However most of the side missions and extra content is just a grind. Upgrade stores, tail this guy, assassinate this guy, chase down this guy. Basically the same shit you did in Brotherhood.

Replay Value- 6

Final Verdict
For a game titled Revelations this game is very short on actual Revelations. I find that I have to agree with everyone saying this game is a milk. The events that actually occurred in the Desmond storyline could have easily been added as an extra hour in Brotherhood or whatever the next game will be called. The game just has a very "been there, done that" sort of feel since the gameplay additions aren't very significant and the storyline fails to capture you the way AC2 does. If you are not invested in the Assassin's Creed storyline, I don't think theres any point in playing this as it will confuse you even more. If you are following the story, I would say the Altair missions and the ending are a worthy investment for you to play through the campaign once.

Overall- 6.5
Really disappointed with Revelations. Ubisoft could have given the team this year to work on AC3 as AC2 really benefited from the 2 year development cycle. I really hope Ubisoft brings it with AC3 in 2012.
Back to top Go down
Blixtstorm
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
Blixtstorm

Stature : 18
Sweden
Playing : TDU2 (PC) / Minecraft (Tekkit modpack)

PostSubject: Re: Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy.   Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 8:33 am

So, is the game worth getting?
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ghost23

Australia

PostSubject: Re: Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy.   Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 8:35 am

^^^

ghost23 wrote:
If you are not invested in the Assassin's Creed storyline, I don't think theres any point in playing this as it will confuse you even more. If you are following the story, I would say the Altair missions and the ending are a worthy investment for you to play through the campaign once.

Depends how interested in the story you are. Gameplay is basically the same as Brotherhood.
Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy. StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy.   Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 8:59 am

I enjoyed the game but I felt a little dissapointed with it. I would have like to see more of Altair.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy.   Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 9:02 am

This game is awesome.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy. 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy.   Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 2:59 pm

And it's only downhill from here.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy.   Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 3:04 pm

Sounds like assassins creed is suffering from the CoD curse.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy.   Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy. I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 18, 2011 7:36 pm

chobo500 wrote:
And it's only downhill from here.
Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy. 1443829230
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
ghost23
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ghost23

Australia

PostSubject: Re: Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy.   Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy. I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 9:07 am

Well for all the people who say its only going to be worse, there's enough evidence to say that Assassin's Creed 3 has been in the some sort of development for over a year by this point.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy.   Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy. I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 2:14 pm

Toxicmaniac wrote:
Sounds like assassins creed is suffering from the CoD curse.

Uggh, more CoD hate.
Back to top Go down
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

PostSubject: Re: Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy.   Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy. I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 3:09 pm

Probably gonna buy it for the story. I really enjoyed Brotherhood.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy.   Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy. I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 3:25 pm

Sad to hear.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy.   Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy. I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 3:50 pm

I just want them to release Assassin's Creed 3 already.
Back to top Go down
Franko
Area Boss
Area Boss
Franko

Stature : 20
Southern Fairy
Playing : Meh

PostSubject: Re: Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy.   Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy. I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 2:29 am

I can see AC becoming the next COD in terms of its yearly releases
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy. XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy.   Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy. I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 7:15 am

The effects of milkage.
Back to top Go down
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

PostSubject: Re: Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy.   Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy. I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 1:45 pm

I just started and so far love it. I love the AC gameplay, so that is no complaint, but the graphics could be better... almost pathetic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy.   Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Assassin's Creed: Revelations review from an Assassin's Creed fanboy.
Page 1 of 1