Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine

Go down 
+2
Jack the Spectre
Hydell
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine Empty
PostSubject: Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine   Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 5:24 pm

Quote :
The bitter rivalry between Activision and EA is intensifying as the release dates of two FPS juggernaut franchises approach. Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 will be going head-to-head this year, and both publishing giants want you to buy their game. As both release dates approach, EA and Activision have been increasing their attacks on one another, trying to show potential customers why their game is better, while not specifically naming each other -- referring to each other as "the competition."

Well today we're seeing another round of hits, this time from Activision-owned studio Sledgehammer Games. The studio's Co-Founder & General Manager, Glen Scofield, was talking about Modern Warfare 3's engine in an interview with AusGamer where he was asked whether or not Sledgehammer or Infinity Ward would one day abandon the aging engine:

I don’t really know. I mean we really re-vamped this engine. We put a whole new audio system in and it is as competitive as anybody out there. You can go out and name your engine and call it whatever you want, right. You know, I’ve done that before; I’ve seen that trick and the bottom line is, this game will run at 60 frames a second. Not sure any of our competitors will.

Not sure I’ve seen any of our competitors on the console especially running at 60 frames a second and I’d be a little scared at this point -- in June -- if I was looking forward to a particular game that wasn’t on the console and running at 60. And I think 60 is our competitive edge and you just don’t throw that away.

While we can't confirm that he was talking about Battlefield 3, it seems pretty obvious that he was when you consider the fact that DICE's upcoming FPS will be running at 30 frames per second on consoles.

Scofield then continued on by talking up Modern Warfare 3's engine:

What you do is you build upon it, right? And build and build and build. And we build new tools that make us more efficient. We built brand new tools so that we could put more stuff in. That’s why, you’ll see a level and you’ll come out of the water; so we’ve built all this water. You’ve got New York in the background; you’ve got explosions going on; you’ve got skyscrapers, then you have this huge submarine coming out of the water.

And then, "So I don’t know what the future holds for the engine. But you don’t ship an engine, you ship a game." DICE has been hyping up Battlefield 3 's impressive engine over the past few months, and using it as a way of calling its competitors "lazy."

Now we now that the guys at sledgehammer games are retarded. Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine 1443829230
Back to top Go down
Hydell
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
Hydell

Stature : 179
From Hell
Playing : Resistance 3, Deus Ex, Max Payne 3, Uncharted 3

PostSubject: Re: Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine   Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 6:18 pm

Z0mg its all about teh 60 frames per second....

Come back to reality.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine   Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 6:55 pm

60 FPS is nice, but I'd much rather have a game that doesn't look outdated.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine   Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 7:38 pm

TRF wrote:
60 FPS is nice, but I'd much rather have a game that doesn't look outdated.

MW2 doesn't look outdated.

I don't really think you guys "get" what the IW engine is. The BASE technology is the Id Tech 3 engine which is like 8 years old, but it's been heavily modified and revamped over and over to run alot more efficiently and can crunch out better graphics at a higher framerate.

The IW engine is indeed a revamped engine with each MW game. The jump from COD4 to MW2 alone is pretty huge. They introduced new streaming tech which meant alot more can be rendered on screen. And now MW3 is going to have alot more on-screen. There is no way the "same" engine half a decade ago can run MW3 =/.

Another example of this is like with the Gears of War series, Uncharted series, and even the Halo series. Halo Reach uses the same base assets as Halo 3 but the engine has been updated to take use of the existing assets more efficiently. Same with Uncharted and Gears. Hell, even Forza has been running on the same engine since Forza 2. Yet look how Forza 4 looks. Are we going to call all these developers lazy?

The reason why they developed the Frostbite engine 2.0 isn't because they couldn't build a game with the visuals they wanted with the Frosbite engine 1.5. It's because Frostbite Engine 2.0 literally is a next gen ready engine and it would make the transition to next gen easier if they already had a supported engine to use from the get go which could give them a competitive edge.
Back to top Go down
Stigma
Boss
Boss
Stigma

Stature : 117
US

PostSubject: Re: Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine   Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 8:17 pm

I don't see the problem, he's not wrong.
Back to top Go down
Chobo
The Judge
The Judge
Chobo

Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine 0Qsw2y9
Stature : 88

PostSubject: Re: Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine   Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 8:20 pm

Compared to other games out there, the COD games do defiantly look old. they're not terrible liek DNF, but are very average compared to other games out there. But they kinda have to in order to keep a steady 60 FPS on consoles without it dropping.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

PostSubject: Re: Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine   Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2011 8:52 pm

chobo500 wrote:
Compared to other games out there, the COD games do defiantly look old. they're not terrible liek DNF, but are very average compared to other games out there. But they kinda have to in order to keep a steady 60 FPS on consoles without it dropping.

Exactly. I consider the engine to be pretty damn impressive considering it keeps up a high framerate with decent graphics. The only time this gen we've ever seen stunning graphics and 60 FPS is with racing games.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine   Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 9:52 am

ITS ALL BOUT TEH 60 FRAMES!!!
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

PostSubject: Re: Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine   Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 30, 2011 9:54 am

I like how Alanski is defending COD on every thread i've seen Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine   Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sledgehammer at "Competitors": "You Ship a Game, Not an Engine
Page 1 of 1