Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is the Oscars racist?

Go down 
+3
Archduke
Bluenose
Mecha
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Is the Oscars racist? R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

Is the Oscars racist? Empty
PostSubject: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 11:59 am

I do not believe that the Oscars are racist at all. Are people forgetting that a Mexican director won last year? And the year before that, a BLACK director won. Is the Oscars racist? 121042101
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 12:19 pm

I don't think the Oscars is racist. They are just picking from the pool of people that they have. The fact that there is less diverse people is more indicative that it's harder for non-white people to get lead roles more so than that the Oscars is racist. It's wrong to blame the Oscars for this rather than the whole movie enterprise. It's just that when the nominees are released, it makes it apparent how vanilla everyone is and makes the Oscars the target.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 12:22 pm

Wonder if this guy even saw any of the films that got nominated this year. eye roll
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 12:29 pm

I'm pretty salty that Ryan Coogler didn't get nominated for the 'Best Director" category for Creed, and Michael B Jordan didn't get nominated for anything. Could it because they're black? I honestly couldn't say, I don't know enough about the academy itself to really say.

@Mecha Straight Outta Compton Still got nominated for Best Original Screenplay though. I haven't seen the film, but I've heard that the last third or so of the film is pretty messy. So it not being nominated for anything else could mean something.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 12:32 pm

Dope, which has an 88% on RT, also got snubbed. I doubt that anybody actually remembers that film though. It had a cast full of minorities for the most part.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 12:42 pm

Archduke wrote:
I'm pretty salty that Ryan Coogler didn't get nominated for the 'Best Director" category for Creed, and Michael B Jordan didn't get nominated for anything. Could it because they're black? I honestly couldn't say, I don't know enough about the academy itself to really say.

@Mecha Straight Outta Compton Still got nominated for Best Original Screenplay though. I haven't seen the film, but I've heard that the last third or so of the film is pretty messy. So it not being nominated for anything else could mean something.

Well Ridley Scott and Steven Spielberg didn't get nominated for "best director" either. So what makes Ryan Coogler any different? As for Michael B. Jordon, ask yourself, was he really better than all of the actors that got nominated this year? Some people have this way of thinking that if he or she doesn't get nominated, then that automatically means he or she isn't good enough. That's not it at all. It's just that their are other actors that deserve it more.

Same goes for Straight Outta Compton. You need to ask yourself if that film is better than any of the films that got nominated this year.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Is the Oscars racist? Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

PostSubject: Re: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 12:59 pm

The problem, which I think is what Teck was getting at, is that the Oscars can only really vote on the available talent there is, and since most people in the Film industry are white, then it speaks for itself that the majority will be white.

I had this dicussion with someone on FB who went on to claim that actors like Oscar Issac and Michael B. Jordan should've been nominated. Honestly? That'd be pretty stupid as their performances were good, but were also much worse than of those the Academy voted.

In my opinion, if you can't point out which 2-3 white actors/directors to replace, then the idea of racism in the Academy is pretty invalid.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 1:15 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
The problem, which I think is what Teck was getting at, is that the Oscars can only really vote on the available talent there is, and since most people in the Film industry are white, then it speaks for itself that the majority will be white.

I had this dicussion with someone on FB who went on to claim that actors like Oscar Issac and Michael B. Jordan should've been nominated. Honestly? That'd be pretty stupid as their performances were good, but were also much worse than of those the Academy voted.

In my opinion, if you can't point out which 2-3 white actors/directors to replace, then the idea of racism in the Academy is pretty invalid.

Exactly! If the Oscars were to nominate anyone purely out of race, rather than talent, then it would destroy what makes the Oscars so special. Which I'm HIGHLY against.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Is the Oscars racist? PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 1:54 pm

Nope, they aren't.

What I want to know is why was Sly nominated for an Oscar? If Creed were to had a nom for something it should have been directing. Also Benicio Del Toro should have had a nom cause he was fucking amazing in Sicario.
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 2:05 pm

yonny616 wrote:
Nope, they aren't.

What I want to know is why was Sly nominated for an Oscar? If Creed were to had a nom for something it should have been directing. Also Benicio Del Toro should have had a nom cause he was fucking amazing in Sicario.

Sicario was a great film IMO.

The only complaint I have (a minor one) is how grim it is. It's well-made, but I can't see myself re-watching it too often.

Still pretty great, though, no doubt.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 2:11 pm

Benicio Del Toro already won an Oscar before though. Not that you can't win an Oscar again, but it's pretty hard topping yourself.
Back to top Go down
yonny616
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
yonny616

Is the Oscars racist? PaKTSrO
Stature : 187
Earth
Playing : The Last of Us.
Watching : The Flash.

PostSubject: Re: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 2:36 pm

RamboOnRedBull wrote:
Sicario was a great film IMO.

The only complaint I have (a minor one) is how grim it is. It's well-made, but I can't see myself re-watching it too often.

Still pretty great, though, no doubt.
I agree with all this, but I wasn't saying the film itself should get a nom, just Del Toro.

Mecha wrote:
Benicio Del Toro already won an Oscar before though. Not that you can't win an Oscar again, but it's pretty hard topping yourself.
LOL What? Del Toro won an oscar, okay, your point? I'm not saying Del Toro would've won again, but his performance in Sicario deserved a nom. Definitely more than Sly did.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 4:45 pm

Is the Oscars racist? 121042101
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

U.S.A.

PostSubject: Re: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 8:52 pm

A mexican director might win the oscar again lol.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2016 9:38 pm

Hi guys, remember this...

Is the Oscars racist? Alejan10

Yeah, the Oscars is SO racist. eye roll
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 12:24 am

Yeah, Mecha is right, guys. The academy is so racist that they let the Mexicans sweep the floor with Oscars.

I feel ashamed of the lack of Americans that are recognized...  Is the Oscars racist? 2590470549
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

Is the Oscars racist? TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 6:03 am

Haha Oscar is my friend he's very torelant!
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 11:20 am

This shit is giving me cancer. Even if the Oscars start to nominate more actors and filmmakers of color, SJWs will still be like DUUURRRRRR WHITE PEOPLE ALWAYS WIN BUT NEVER PEOPLE OF COLOR! People will ALWAYS find something to bitch about. These people need to get bitch slapped to get some sense out of them.
Back to top Go down
Orion
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Orion

Is the Oscars racist? TM4C7lj
Stature : 298
UK
Playing : Persona

PostSubject: Re: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2016 5:56 pm

Mecha wrote:

This shit is giving me cancer. Even if the Oscars start to nominate more actors and filmmakers of color, SJWs will still be like DUUURRRRRR WHITE PEOPLE ALWAYS WIN BUT NEVER PEOPLE OF COLOR! People will ALWAYS find something to bitch about. These people need to get bitch slapped to get some sense out of them.
BIGOT
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 8:41 am

NO! Things won't change until Hollywood changes, NOT the Oscars. This is bullshit! Now people will be nominated because of the color of their skins, not because they actually deserve it. Is the Oscars racist? 1443829230
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 1:45 pm

Quote :
 Janet Hubert attacks Jada Pinkett Smith after calling on the Black community to boycott The Oscars

"Miss thing, does your man not have a mouth of his own with which to speak?" Hubert says in a four-minute video posted to Facebook.

Hubert criticized Pinkett Smith's comments and eventually went on a verbal assault against her former co-star (and boss) Will Smith.

"Girlfriend, there's a lot of sh*t going on in the world...it ain't that deep," she said of Mrs. Smith before turning the attention to the Concussion actor. "I find it ironic that someone that has made their living and has made millions of dollars from the very people you're talking about boycotting...just because you didn't get a nomination? That's not the way the world works, baby," she added.

http://www.centrictv.com/entertainment/celebrity-news/articles/2016/01/19/janet-hubert-comes-for-jada-pinkett-smith-and-will-smiths-necks.html
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2016 4:33 pm

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016/01/18/academy-president-vows-major-changes-in-response-to-nominations-backlash/

Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

PostSubject: Re: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2016 5:48 pm

Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2016 5:59 pm

Back to top Go down
2Sugoi2Die
Anime_Desu
2Sugoi2Die

Is the Oscars racist? StDQek0
Stature : 242
Playing : Conception II: Making Babies

PostSubject: Re: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2016 7:02 pm

I don't recall Will Smith ever been a good movie in recent years lol. I remember watching After Earth and laughing at Jaden Smiths performance lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the Oscars racist?   Is the Oscars racist? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is the Oscars racist?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next