Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Please login or register to fully experience the forum. Registration is quick and simple, you may start your experience by clicking the "Register" button below. Once you're done, please introduce yourself so we may properly welcome you.

If you do not wish to register at this time, there are still a few sections open to you. Feel free to browse or reply to posts as a guest.
Thank you, and please enjoy your time here.
Generation7 - Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Undying Video Games Forum for People Who Like to Play Video Games

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sony making the same mistake next gen?

Go down 
+7
ghost23
RamboOnRedBull
TheJubJub5721
Bluenose
Archduke
Mecha
The_Biotic_God
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Stature : 17
Everywhere
Playing : Atleast we haz online

Sony making the same mistake next gen? Empty
PostSubject: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 8:16 pm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-17-sony-no-ps4-for-quite-some-time

I hope they are just saying this so people can continue buying their existing products...

If the next Playstation console releases a year late then Microsoft will surely have the 3rd party development teams locked down on their systems and have the very same advantages that MS had at the beginning of this generation...Don't be stupid Sony..No one is asking you to rush your product but you should be well into your development stage of the next generation Playstation console.

Personally guys, I'm a Playstation fan. I've owned every PS console and there isn't a single iconic Playstation game that I don't like. I want Sony to be the best like they were with the PS1 and PS2 so I sincerely hope that Sony will make all the right decisions and play it safe this time around with the PS4. Meaning...Don't fucking release another console with an architecture that isn't developer friendly and release it ON TIME so that way your competitors don't have the 3rd party support locked down.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

Sony making the same mistake next gen? R5MQPRE
Stature : 194

PostSubject: Re: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 8:40 pm

Microsoft is getting arrogant. Just because this strategy worked before, doesn't mean it will work again. PS3 fail because of the high price and lack of games at launch. NOT because it was release after the Xbox 360.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 9:13 pm

Mecha wrote:
Microsoft is getting arrogant. Just because this strategy worked before, doesn't mean it will work again. PS3 fail because of the high price and lack of games at launch. NOT because it was release after the Xbox 360.

It wasn't a "strategy." They HAD to discontinue the Xbox original because they were having complications with NVidia (the original Xbox's GPU maker). They HAD to release a new console ASAP to save their investments in console gaming.

Sony failed with the PS3 partly because of the high price..but MOSTLY because MS had locked down 3rd party support. Most middleware game engines were developed first for Xbox 360 making it the lead platform for most multiplatform titles. This gave it a huge advantage at the beginning of this generation. Establishing a marketshare before your competitors can and WILL ensure a console's success. Maybe not if they were months apart but definitely if it's a year+.. MS isn't being arrogant. They are being smart. They realize how important it is to make a developer friendly console and establishing a marketshare so that the developers have a motive for developing on your console.

Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 9:22 pm

Alanski wrote:
Mecha wrote:

It wasn't a "strategy." They HAD to discontinue the Xbox original because they were having complications with NVidia (the original Xbox's GPU maker). They HAD to release a new console ASAP to save their investments in console gaming.

Sony failed with the PS3 partly because of the high price..but MOSTLY because MS had locked down 3rd party support. Most middleware game engines were developed first for Xbox 360 making it the lead platform for most multiplatform titles. This gave it a huge advantage at the beginning of this generation. Establishing a marketshare before your competitors can and WILL ensure a console's success. Maybe not if they were months apart but definitely if it's a year+.. MS isn't being arrogant. They are being smart. They realize how important it is to make a developer friendly console and establishing a marketshare so that the developers have a motive for developing on your console.

Well it's not smart if they're just rushing the development of their new console just so they can beat Sony. Also there is no guarantee that Microsoft can beat Sony just by releasing the next Xbox console before the PS4.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 9:26 pm

Mecha wrote:
Alanski wrote:
Mecha wrote:

Well it's not smart if they're just rushing the development of their new console just so they can beat Sony. Also there is no guarantee that Microsoft can beat Sony just by releasing the next Xbox console before the PS4.

Well just like how I hope Sony learns from it's mistakes I hope MS learns from their mistakes and not let another RROD incident happen with their next console.
Back to top Go down
Archduke
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
Archduke

Stature : 109
U.S.A.
Playing : Nioh and Nier: Automata
Watching : 日本のアニメ

PostSubject: Re: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 9:28 pm

Mecha wrote:
Alanski wrote:
Mecha wrote:

yeah Mecha is correct. Plus, Most 3rd parties are with PS3 and or just seperate now.

Microsoft is likely to suffer the 3rd console curse next gen. Happened to Nintendo and Sony.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net/u17
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 9:32 pm

DukeNukem34 wrote:
Mecha wrote:
Alanski wrote:
Mecha wrote:

yeah Mecha is correct. Plus, Most 3rd parties are with PS3 and or just seperate now.

Microsoft is likely to suffer the 3rd console curse next gen. Happened to Nintendo and Sony.

No I think the 3rd party support is now split down the middle between the 2 platforms...But even then this only proves my point. Marketshare (along with a decent hardware architecture) is EVERYTHING to 3rd party developers. The 3rd party support has now only evened out because the sales gap has pretty much closed and developers are finally starting to put the effort in coding for Sony's platform.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 9:55 pm

Microsoft has developed itself into the market. I think it will have a good gen, JUST STAY AWAY FROM THE KINECT PLOX.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 9:59 pm

Teckno wrote:
Microsoft has developed itself into the market. I think it will have a good gen, JUST STAY AWAY FROM THE KINECT PLOX.

Kinect increased the 360's sales...They'll probably make Kinect supported with the next Xbox.
Back to top Go down
Bluenose
Founding Father
Founding Father
Bluenose

Stature : 264
Playing : Tu madre

PostSubject: Re: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 10:01 pm

Alanski wrote:
Teckno wrote:

Kinect increased the 360's sales...They'll probably make Kinect supported with the next Xbox.

I thought your post was more on the hardcore point of view. :/
Back to top Go down
http://www.g7gaming.net
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 10:51 pm

Teckno wrote:
Alanski wrote:
Teckno wrote:

I thought your post was more on the hardcore point of view. :/

Ummm =/. I'm telling it how it is. No matter what Kinect will be supported on the next Xbox because it's a money maker. It's called thinking objectively.

Also, MS is planning at "some point" to make Kinect an optional feature for all future MS published titles. Just look at Forza 4; obviously Kinect will have a place in both the casual and the hardcore market for MS.
Back to top Go down
Mecha
Certified IGN Reposter
Certified IGN Reposter
Mecha

PostSubject: Re: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 11:02 pm

I think the next Xbox console will have Kinect build in. Instead of having it as an add on. This way, everyone who buys the next Xbox console will basically have Kinect tech.
Back to top Go down
TheJubJub5721
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
TheJubJub5721

Stature : 25
Playing : People suck.

PostSubject: Re: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 11:15 pm

Hopefully they don't do that again.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 11:43 pm

Mecha wrote:
I think the next Xbox console will have Kinect build in. Instead of having it as an add on. This way, everyone who buys the next Xbox console will basically have Kinect tech.

Wow that's actually a great prediction.

Razz
Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Sony making the same mistake next gen? Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

PostSubject: Re: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 5:38 am

I'll highly doubt they'll do that. After what happened to them this gen, they know they gotta step their game up. Besides, they're just WAITING for MS to announce thier console so they can "Steal their thunder" i suppose...
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ghost23

Stature : 11
Australia

PostSubject: Re: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 7:08 am

Mecha wrote:

That's an interesting thought but how would it work exactly? They can't have the camera built in to the console because I assume that the console would be a lot larger than what the Kinect currently is and I can't imagine them forcing you to put the console on top of or in front of your TV the way Kinect is. I think that they bundle Kinect with every XBOX but it's still a separate piece of hardware.
Back to top Go down
The Enkindler
Endgame Boss
Endgame Boss

Stature : 86
Greece
Playing : Plenty of games, and I can't count them.

PostSubject: Re: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 7:23 am

Well, I'm not into marketing, economy or Business strategies(Mainly because I don't care)
Therefore, I refuse to comment on this(Though I already did just now Razz).
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/azazel166
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 8:16 am

Lol guys all microsoft needs is halo on launch and a good deal with activision and then they are settled. The good thing about microsoft and nintendo is that they have killer apps to support them. Sony doesn't.
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Sub-Boss
Sub-Boss
ghost23

Stature : 11
Australia

PostSubject: Re: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 9:29 am

Toxicmaniac wrote:
Lol guys all microsoft needs is halo on launch and a good deal with activision and then they are settled. The good thing about microsoft and nintendo is that they have killer apps to support them. Sony doesn't.

Even though Don Mattrick said that Halo 4,5 and 6 is a new trilogy for XBOX 360, which i think is a mistake and he meant to say XBOX, I could see 343 developing Halo 4 for the 360 and then Halo 5 for the new XBOX so that they have a huge launch title for their new console which will set the new graphics bar the way Gears of War opened up this generation for graphics.
Back to top Go down
Jack the Spectre
Post-Game Enemy
Post-Game Enemy
Jack the Spectre

Sony making the same mistake next gen? XidKdMN
Stature : 309
New York
Playing : With myself

PostSubject: Re: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 10:26 am

Toxicmaniac wrote:
They do. It's called motherfucking Jak & Daxter!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 10:36 am

TRF wrote:
Toxicmaniac wrote:
They do. It's called motherfucking Jak & Daxter!
You do know what i mean with a killer app right? Games like halo, mario and final fantasy which have a massive popularity and a huge spot in gaming culture are considered killer apps. While i love jak & daxter. They are nowere near the popularity to lift the playstation brand like halo lifts the xbox brand and mario lifts the nintendo brands.

I was thinking about metal gear solid myself but that seems to become multiplatform now.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 10:48 am

Toxicmaniac wrote:

Yes they do...It's called Gran Turismo...It's Sony's best selling exclusive of all time and one of the best selling series of all time period. Hell I'd say Gran Turismo is probably more of a recognizable name than Halo is outside the states.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 10:57 am

Alanski wrote:
Toxicmaniac wrote:

Yes they do...It's called Gran Turismo...It's Sony's best selling exclusive of all time and one of the best selling series of all time period. Hell I'd say Gran Turismo is probably more of a recognizable name than Halo is outside the states.
And how many people still talk about gran turismo these days compared to halo and mario? exactly. I do agree that GT6 would be a great launch title to lift the ps4 up a bit.
Back to top Go down
The_Biotic_God
Boss Spawn
Boss Spawn
The_Biotic_God

Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 11:06 am

Toxicmaniac wrote:
Alanski wrote:
Toxicmaniac wrote:

And how many people still talk about gran turismo these days compared to halo and mario? exactly. I do agree that GT6 would be a great launch title to lift the ps4 up a bit.

Apparently alot. GT5 sold almost as well as Halo Reach despite the fact that the FPS genre dominates this generation.

Back to top Go down
RamboOnRedBull
Final Boss, 5th Form
Final Boss, 5th Form
RamboOnRedBull

Sony making the same mistake next gen? Z4pMElY
Stature : 414

PostSubject: Re: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 11:38 am

Toxicmaniac wrote:
Alanski wrote:
Toxicmaniac wrote:

Toxic, you do realize that Halo is one of the most unpopular games outside of USA, right?
GT6 Would make a great killer app for a launch title alongside other games like a God of War 4, heck, even a 3rd dimensional LBP game would make more rounds than a Halo 5 would worldwide.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sony making the same mistake next gen?   Sony making the same mistake next gen? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sony making the same mistake next gen?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next